• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 964 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:16 PM

I'm implementing the AddThis social buttons in a forums site. Should I use large social buttons ? They make the users go through a two step process to "like" a page or "Google +1" a page.

The smaller icons allow users to add their input in one click (but they are smaller).

Any suggestions on which has a higher conversion rate?

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5172 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:42 PM

I am getting a higher rate of use with the large buttons (32x32). However, lots of people think that the F button is supposed to take them to a Facebook page for the website or our company. Also, lots of people think that the envelope button is for sending email messages to the website owners.

These buttons have multiple meanings and I believe that the big buttons draw this confusion a lot more than the single addthis button.

#3 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 964 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:02 PM

Interesting, I thought having to just click "Like" or "+1" would have higher conversions. Since it requires less effort and more importantly that the user knows that he/she won't be taken to a different page, but I guess people don't know that.

However, my niche has almost all young audience which are pretty tech savvy. So maybe its a little different for them

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5172 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:41 PM

However, my niche has almost all young audience which are pretty tech savvy. So maybe its a little different for them

You might be right... my audience has a lot of old farts.

#5 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

Old farts or not I am constantly surprised at how difficult it can be to understand some of these cryptic links and icons.
I am planning on redoing all the social links on my site to be a simple and self explanatory as possible, and big.
That said I am more than a little tired of trying to manage a site, manage links and articles, and on top of it all now this social media with the linkings and likings and sharings.
oy vey

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users