#1 SEO Beach Bum

SEO Beach Bum

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

Hello!

www.seobeachbum.com
It's my new & first blog... I am pretty attached to it so its hard for me to grasp a real opinion on it...

Here's some of my concerns & thoughts:
  • Is the theme apparent?
  • Are there some major confusions?
  • Besides the lack of content, is it memorable?
  • What do ya'll think?
:cheers: Cheers to some big projects incoming! Thanks very much everyone!

#2 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:16 PM

I think it's too dark. You need some contrast between your background and your foreground.

#3 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:33 PM

I'd increase the font size of top navigation tabs and add more work background to the about page.

#4 fisicx

fisicx

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1856 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:01 AM

What is the point of the site? Who is your target audience? What do you expect them to do?

At the moment there isn't really anything on the site to hold peoples attention. All you have to offer is a couple of book reviews and failed job application. I know you said there isn't a lot of content (yet) but where is the USP? What can you offer me that a thousand other SEO sites haven't already done?

As to the layout, I dislike anything except a dark font on white. There have been all sorts of usability and accessibility test on colours and black on white trumps everytime.

There are 404 errors on the 'about' and 'contact' pages when linking from a category page.

#5 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 964 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:02 PM

I have to say I'm not a fan of the white font and blue background. Not easy on eyes, specially if you're going to have a blog and expect people to read it them regularly. I'd also increase the line-height of text.

Not enough attention has been given to all details. The search box on top right can use styling (the text doesnt go away when clicked either). i would add a footer, change the name on top left to an actual logo, and use better social media icons.

I also couldnt tell right away what the site was about, whether it was a SEO company site or a blog. If you're hoping to get projects, where is your "Services" page ?

#6 RisaBB

RisaBB

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

Hello SEO Beach Bum,

OMG somehow I wrote a long response, accidentally pressed some button, and it all disappeared! Yikes!

So, to make a long story short, I'll just quickly reiterate what I just wrote. I think site is basically OK and professional but can look much better with a few minor changes:

- i think you need a tag line

- your background is a splash of water, but "seo beach bum" reminds me of waves, sand, seagulls, boats...

- there is not enough contrast. try changing the content area to white with black or dark blue font.

- there is not enough padding in the margin. some words are touching the margin.

- add more space between the 2 columns.

- box off the twitter area like the other content below. i don't think it's so important that it needs to be top right. move the 'recent articles' to the top right, which also serves the purpose of giving an overview of what your site is about.

- in the tag cloud, the largest point size is too big.

- try changing the font to verdana 11 or trebuchet. those fonts are a little smaller and give more line spacing. the current font looks a little to heavy.

I think the site is professional looking. Good luck!

Risa

#7 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4293 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

I hate white text on dark. After reading a page it takes my eyes several minutes to adjust back to normal. Very frustrating, wastes my time, so now I simpy hit the back button as soon as I see white / light on black / dark.

If I was to start a new site which focused on reviewing books I would get a domain with those words. Will make seoing your site easier ...

#8 Dalesway

Dalesway

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

• Is the theme apparent? -
  • Are there some major confusions?
  • Besides the lack of content, is it memorable?
  • What do ya'll think?
For me personally, no the theme is not apparent as it has your name - "James Piper & Business" at the top. I like the name SEO Beach Bum, so I would use it at the top of the page along with a strapline making it clear what you do.

I like the professional look. I guess it has changed from when you first posted as the white background and silver-grey features look clean and clear.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users