31 replies to this topic

#1 send2paul

send2paul

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2905 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:49 PM

Evening all!

Yes - it's true! I got an email from YouTube - which I thought was SPAM at first - inviting me to link my Adsense Account up to my YouTube videos and share in the glorious wealth that will spring forth! ;)

Have a look here: YouTube Monetisation Guidelines.

Anybody else get one of these invites.... have tried it... know anything more about it?

#2 Wit

Wit

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1599 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:10 PM

Sheesh man, what did you have to share w/ YouTube to get them to contact you like that? ;)

#3 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2905 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:16 PM

Howdy!

Que? :scratchhead:

They just called to say they love me.... I think ;)

I'm waiting for 48hrs to get "confirmed".... and then I can go and stick Adsense next to my videos - apparently :)

#4 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13527 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:29 PM

I haven't tried it myself but at SES SF I learned about Youtube's new video promotion service which for like $30 a day features your video to help market it. The ROI goes through the roof say those who have used it - though I would think the quality of the promoted video has much to do with that.

#5 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:22 PM

Paul, I hope you'll let us know how it goes if you accept!

:mr_rant:
YouTube needs to do a WAAAY better job at matching advertising to videos. I love watching old family/children's shows sometimes on YouTube, and I have seen the most inappropriate garbage pop up mid-video. Latest one was some awful ad about 'Chinese Lady For Dating'. Puhleeeze.

#6 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 1011 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:25 PM

Congrads on getting the invite.

I wonder how YouTube adsense blocks convert. Do people actually click on those links?

#7 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:30 AM

SEOIgloo - I agree! I watch family videos with my 3 year old and there are some very inappropriate ads that appear.

I have never clicked on a youtube ad on purpose. I find that sometimes the ad box moves just slightly when you go to click it away and sometimes I will click on one by mistake. That makes me mad.

But I could see that if you get a video that goes viral you could make some good money off of it!

send2Paul...I'm curious to know more about your videos. Do you have lots? Roughly how many views do you have?

I have one video with about 4000 views and I was hoping Adsense would contact me, LOL! I wonder what their criteria are?

#8 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2905 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:03 AM

Dr. Marie - and all,

I'll get back to y'all over the weekend with some facts and figures. But if you want to have a browse yourself: Paul's YouTube Video Channel - I have 103 videos uploaded - the most viewed is 937 times I think, (the Tenby beach video).

I don't comment on other videos. I do have people comment on mine - and I do respond to the comments.

More info over weekend - please feel free to analayse and post here if anyone wants to - it may save me some time as well! :))

#9 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3803 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:14 AM

I have a video that has:

Views:

Never been contacted by Google to monetize that puppy. Of course, it's not necessarily in a lucrative niche. It's a video of a snake eating a very large fish in a lake. And the lake was full of trash because this was the week after Katrina hit, so a few million pieces of peoples' homes were now in the lake. So of course, all the commenters talk about the trashy lake, not realizing the reason behind it.

So...snake...fish...lake...trash...not real monetizable, I guess.

#10 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2905 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

Okay - a quick update...

Now when I view my videos I have an option to "Monetize" them. I click the button and it comes to a screen with several boxes to tick, (if applicable), and some instructions. It looks like this:

Before changing your monetization options, please tell us about your video. Does your video contain the following content? (Select all that apply)

1. Graphics and pictures (including photographs and artwork)
2. Movie or TV visuals
3. Video game or software visuals
4. Performances (including concerts, events, and shows)
5. Music (including lyrics, cover songs and background music)

Please describe your content below. If you answered "Yes" to any of the above, please be sure to include details about your ownership of the necessary rights or explicit permission to commercially use all video material. You must possess all the necessary distribution rights in all content (including music) in the video. (1000 character limit)* (Required)

Important note: If your video is not approved for revenue sharing, it may be removed from YouTube.

The first video I'm going to monetize is the very popular: How To Unblock A Sink which had 1,091 views and 2 comments.

Each video request for monetization is reviewed manually. It could take 48hrs. So, at the moment I get eh message:

Video submitted for review.

So now.... I wait... :)

p.s. this was the most viewed video, (now submitted for monetization): Grays, Essex with a mere 4,211 views, 35 comments, 1 "like" 2 "dislikes" :)

Edited by send2paul, 02 September 2011 - 05:48 PM.

#11 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:52 PM

You have some interesting videos Paul! I see that they have already been approved for adsense as it was showing as I viewed some of your videos.

I'm curious to know how you benefit from your videos. Do you embed them into your website? I didn't see any links back to a site.

#12 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2905 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:16 PM

Dr Marie - hi.

... and as we used to say at school - "They're all my own work" :)

Interesting. I don't see any ads displayed on either of them. It does say in my account that they both have been approved. I don't suppose you could do a little screenshot here could you?

Most of the videos are just uploaded to there. Some may be embedded in my blog: Blogbypass or at my old blog's url: Old Blog.

All my videos have been for pure "entertainment purposes" only. Some of the videos, such as the one of me running into the sea at Oregon, was embedded into a "sponsored blog post" for the Jeep company, (for which I got paid quite nicely for!). Most vids I send the link back to folks in emails.

And I have to apologise on behalf of YouTube as to the playback quality of some of the vids. They were perfectly okay and played back correctly when I first uploaded them. I think they changed some internal settings a few years back. Most of the mobile phone vids are .3gp files.

Dr M - are you formalising any theories about this? Please "share your research"! :)

p.s. want to see more great videos? Have a browse through the ones on Facebook: Paul Flanagan On Facebook :)

Edited by send2paul, 02 September 2011 - 10:17 PM.

#13 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3803 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:18 PM

Ok, so it's official now. Paul is crazy. A good kind of crazy, but crazy nevertheless. LOL! You cracked me up. Totally.
:rofl:
:)
:abducted:
:pigtailnana:

#14 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2905 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:22 PM

... and you may find this difficult to believe Donna.... but I've been like this for some time. My mother often tells me, (and anyone else who'll listen), the very same thing!

I thank you :)

p.s. I only really come here for the dancing bananas! :emo10: :emo6: :nanaparty: :nanacomputer: :)

Edited by send2paul, 02 September 2011 - 10:23 PM.

#15 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:37 AM

Dr M - are you formalising any theories about this? Please "share your research"!

No theories, just trying to understand Youtube! I've only dipped my toes in the water in Youtube, but the results have been very helpful to my sites. I've never really thought of putting something on youtube for any other purpose than to benefit one of my sites.

I have one video that is a tutorial. Originally I posted it on Youtube just because I wanted to host it somewhere other than on my site. It is a video that complements an article on my site. But, it gets found often on youtube. I thought it had 4000 views, but I just checked and it has almost 10,000 views now. In the description of my video I have a link back to my site for more information. It brings me visitors each day and has made this page one of my top ranking pages.

I have other videos that actually rank well for keywords, especially for our real estate site. I'll make a video of a house and then upload it to youtube using the house address as the title. In many cases, when you search for the house address on Google, my video comes up in the top 3. And again, there is the link in the description for people who need more information. (I also put our web address in the video).

This last method works so well that I really think I should be putting more time into making videos for my non-real estate site to help me rank.

btw....I love your video showing the sounds of the crosswalk. It was too funny when the guy walked by and saw you talking to yourself!

#16 swainzy

swainzy

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3318 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:13 AM

Paul's a big nut alright. :emo_gavel: In a good way.

Here's a video of his I esp. like:
Here

Edited by swainzy, 03 September 2011 - 05:19 PM.

#17 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2905 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:20 PM

Dr M - ah the famous "How To Cross The Road In Dublin" video...lol... yes, I followed that up with two more in the series with "How To Cross The Road in Galway" and "How To Cross The Road in Limerick" :emo_gavel:

I have to say that I never really had a website/business that I was using YouTube to promote with. I don't even think I link back to my blog from my YouTube account, or create any links from my videos to anywhere - maybe I should?

I have noticed the three rotational Google Adsense ads appearing on the "How To Unblock Your Sink" vid, (your fav Donna! :emo10: ) are an ad for:
1. Google Adsense
2. Fungus In The Home
3. A "drain blockage" website

- so, it's all very "contextual" still by the key words in the description I gave, but they also must have served up "manually" the "Fungus In The Home" ad as I never mentioned fungus in the vid description or mention the word "fungus" in the vid.

Yes. I must investigate further the whole linkage thing from YouTube.

Unfortunately, there is no channel breakdown in my Google Adsense account to see which video is making the clicks/money - so it looks like I'm going to have to monetize all of them! :)

#18 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:58 AM

Hey Paul...you've inspired me to put more stuff on Youtube. Here's one I added today:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wpnnt_F2wIk

This cat was obsessed with our printer, so I videotaped it.

#19 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2905 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:36 PM

That is so funny! :emo_gavel:

I like the way the cat gets more inventive and tries to lift the feeder tray flap with "teeth power"!

Keep up the good work! More cat videos! (They also appear to be popular on YouTube!) :)

p.s. no money earned off the two "Adsensed" videos yet! :(

Edited by send2paul, 04 September 2011 - 12:37 PM.

#20 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

Thanks Paul! And thanks for commenting on the video. :emo_gavel:

#21 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2905 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:12 PM

And.... as an additional thing I've noticed a link to a whole raft of other funky new things that seem to be on offer in my YouTube account now...

Xtranormal Movie Maker - Xtranormal lets you to turn anything you type into a fully-animated CG movie. Set up your scene, type in your script, and animate it instantly. Easily share something funny with friends, or create the next viral sensation. If you can type, you can make YouTube movies!

GoAnimate - GoAnimate is a fun app that lets you make animated videos, for free, in just 10 minutes, without having to draw. You can even create your own cast of characters. There are millions of people using GoAnimate.

Stupeflix Video Maker - Tell a story with your digital content. Mix pictures, videos, maps, text, music and watch Stupeflix produce a stunning video in a few seconds. It's fast, easy, and free to try: you don't need to create an account, and videos are free up to 60 seconds.

One True Media - One True Media, simply powerful video creation. Robust, fast and easy video editing. Combine and clip video and photos. Edit as little or as much as you want with professional transitions, effects, text, music and more. Refine further with advanced clipping and photo editing options or finish in just a few clicks.

Has anyone else got these new funky things to try - or is this just part of the package that comes with monetizing videos?

Curious of Essex

#22 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:13 PM

Wow...my cat video is really taking off, but it's strange how there is a discrepancy between different sources on how many views it has had. If you click on the video it's had 304 views. But, in my youtube panel it says, 1166 views and according to the video insights it says 2534 views! I submitted the video to buzzfeed and got an email this morning saying I had passed the 1000 view mark. Very cool!

But, how is this translating to my website? I put a link back to the "funny videos" section on my site and I have had a few extra visitors but not a whole lot to the funny videos page. I'll have to sit down and sort out my analytics later. I'm getting lots of visitors today from reddit. I decided to do an AMA. You can read it here if you want - http://www.reddit.co...terinarian_ama/ It was a lot of fun and did bring some extra traffic to my site, but it's very temporary I'm sure.

#23 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2905 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:53 PM

..1166 views...and according to the video insights it says 2534 views...buzzfeed..I had passed the 1000 view mark...

- that's what I call research :)

I must get a bit more on the ball with the use of video etc.... I'm sure there's a video tutorial about how to use video somewhere? :emo10:

With experience from my blog I found that because it's "SEO'd" up a lot better than I could ever do on YouTube - the view stats on YouTube are of a direct result of someone finding the blog post and clicking on the video. Without going into details and doing "tracking experiments", I can't think of an instance where someone has come from YouTube to my blog - of course, I've yet to link my blog back etc... so maybe I should try that first!?

p.s. redddit, AMA...lol... remarkable stuff! I know these names, and know they exist... but never really understand how to use all these "self marketing" resources apart form just generally joining anything and blathering on about "stuff". I suppose there's a "How To... " out there for guidance for this kind of thing as well! :)

p.p.s - 416 comments in less than 24 hours?? If only there was Adsense or some such money making clicky thing liberally scattered around that page - you'd have been a fortune off that and forget about monetizing YouTube videos! :) :emo6:

Edited by send2paul, 05 September 2011 - 12:59 PM.

#24 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:20 AM

Some updates: The reddit thread got me a really good boost in visitors and my Adsense revenue was up significantly, but I can see that this will be very temporary.

I am shocked by my youtube video. It is currently the number one most watched video in the Pets and Animals section with >13,000 views in one day. I can see some direct benefits from this. I am getting some traffic (although not huge amounts) from the link under my video that says, "For more funny pet videos visit....".

Another benefit is that my other videos are getting exposure. I think they pop up as related videos. I am getting some traffic clicking in from people watching my tutorial on how to express a**l glands (don't ask, LOL!). This is a page that gets a good number of ad clicks so I can see that having a viral video that brings attention to my "money" videos is good news.

Now, if only I were invited to have Adsense on my videos then I could earn directly from my views on this printer video.

#25 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:55 AM

So, yesterday I thought I would apply to become a Youtube partner so that I could put ads on my videos. Upon answering the questions I realized that I probably shouldn't apply. They ask you how many videos you have (I have 3) and how regularly you upload videos. They also tell you that if your application is rejected then you can't reapply for 2 months. So, I figured I'd wait, put a few more videos up and apply later.

Well, lookie what I just got! I got the same email that you did, Paul....an invitation to become a partner!

Woohoooo! I'm off to place Adsense on the faxing cat.

#26 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2905 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

HA - it's amazing isn't it? :)

A couple of years ago in the UK there was a Facebook campaign to help stop the X-Factor TV programme here in the UK always getting the No.1 slot in the Christmas pop charts, (as it usually did). I got involved in that in a small way, (and in some other lesser attempts before that to manipulate Social Media channels ) - and I thought that was going to be my all-time wannabe-internet claim-to-fame.... but then up pops yourself and the "Y'know - I think I'll start putting other videos on my YouTube account"... after reading this thread here..

... and the rest, as they say, is history.... or still actually happening! :emo6:

Well lets hope kitty starts bringing home the bacon! :(

Congratulations Dr M!

This earning revenue on YouTube videos could be the start of something BIG for you! :(

#27 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4390 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:11 PM

Mmmm, did someone say bacon?

#28 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:58 AM

Oh wow. Kitty did bring home some bacon last night. Well...about half a pack of bacon...but hey, it's a start! And a darn exciting one!

Hey Paul...do you have a Paypal account? I'd love to buy you a pint! (send me a pm with your Paypal address if you'd like).

#29 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2905 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

Thanks Dr M :emo10: :emo6: :nanaparty:

That's extremely kind of you :)

Yeah, I guess we should all get a kitty and a camera now!

Congratulations once again on you and kitty's meteoric rise to internet stardom! :D

Paul

#30 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3803 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:57 AM

I have a video that has:

Views:

Never been contacted by Google to monetize that puppy. Of course, it's not necessarily in a lucrative niche. It's a video of a snake eating a very large fish in a lake. And the lake was full of trash because this was the week after Katrina hit, so a few million pieces of peoples' homes were now in the lake. So of course, all the commenters talk about the trashy lake, not realizing the reason behind it.

So...snake...fish...lake...trash...not real monetizable, I guess.

Well, I woke up this morning to an invitation from Google to monetize my video. Despite it being on youtube for over 5 years now, with nearly 520,000 views, Google finally thinks it's ready to be monetized. I still wonder how such a topic will fare with ads, but what the heck. Here's to getting rich and famous from my Snake vs. Big Fish video!

#31 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2905 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

Donna - I do beleive the time is right to blog that puppy and get some traffic heading to that Adense heavy YouTube video! : :infinite-banana: :infinite-banana:

#32 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3803 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

Or maybe just send a bunch of spam email out. LOL. I'll probably tweet it now and then.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users