RisaBB

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:14 AM

Hi All,

I have a few questions:

- Do you have a business plan?
- What book or resources did you use to write your plan?
- Did you get help writing your plan?
- When do you know it's time to get help writing the plan?
- How long did it take you to write your plan?
- Did you write your plan before you began your business?
- Did you write your plan after your website became moderately successful?
- Do you religiously follow your plan?
- How often do you revisit/re-write your plan?
- Did you skip the business plan, wing it, and go with your gut feeling to do what you think is right/important? Is that working for you?
- Did you not have a plan, flounder, write a plan, then prosper?
- What did you learn overall from writing a plan?
- How long is your business plan?
- Is starting with a skeleton business plan OK or is that half-hearted and not worth the effort?
- Can it be written over time - like 6 months - or should all time/resources be spent writing the plan right now?
- What are the questions to answer in a business plan?

Thanks all! Whatever input you have is appreciated!

Risa

#2 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4437 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:13 AM

No.

I have many spreadsheets that detail what I should be doing and when I should be doing it but I fail to stick to the plan.

Probably why my business is not as successful as I would like it to be.

#3 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:01 PM

- How long is your business plan?
- Is starting with a skeleton business plan OK or is that half-hearted and not worth the effort?
- Can it be written over time - like 6 months - or should all time/resources be spent writing the plan right now?
- What are the questions to answer in a business plan?

I think these are the crux of this issue. Things change through time and you learn from your mistakes. So you need to do enough to make sure you're travelling in roughly the right direction, but then you should go for it.

I believe in a slim document that you edit and expand as time goes on. What you should put in that I described in a series of articles that appeared in the Cre8asite blog and are now available in a free e-book, Marketing Right Now. Needless to say it starts with your target market niche and what you can offer to them that they will perceive as immensely superior to what your competition can do (your USP).

#4 RisaBB

RisaBB

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:49 AM

Thanks, Barry. I'll take a look.

Risa

#5 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

We do not have a plan as such but we set short term goals and consider most of the topics that would be listed in a business plan with out writing it down.
We did create a business plan when we were petitioning the SBA for a business loan.
At that time the SBA was very helpful and I think it helped the people at the bank realize we were looking at this in a serious manor.
They wanted to know how we were looking at demographics, and geographics, customers and competitors.
After we we were awarded the loan we were so exhausted from the whole process, ( I really think they have an unwritten rule that the paper work must exceed the weight of the building ) that we filed it away and to this day I could not find it if my life depended on it.

#6 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2624 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

I run lists. and excel spreadsheets and gants in smartdraw.

#7 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5501 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

My biz plan is a bulletin board on the wall of my office that is similar to a graph... the horizontal axis is "linkable"... the vertical axis is "profitable".... I write jobs on small pieces of paper and post them on that bulletin board according to their potential profitability and linkability... then I do the ones that generate the most mental energy (perhaps that's the third axis). :)

It's been working for over a decade.

(I've started writing a biz plan a couple of times and instead picked jobs that gave me greater mental energy. I work the hardest when there is something else that I should be doing.... it's like rocket fuel. :lol:

Another reason I bailed on the biz plan is that I would be writing it for a bunch of old farts who are even older then me (I am an old fart myself)... and I honestly don't think that they would understand what I do. So, writing for the wrong audience is really a waste of time - especially when the right audience out there. However, I agree that the "exercise" of writing the plan will bring amazing clarity to your thinking.... but I am really not working to somebody else's plan or even my own... I get the most bang for my buck when the job produces mental energy and I can't plan that... Just Happens. I see what worked yesterday and do more of that today - if its still fun. If not... there are way too many pieces of paper on my board that cause salivation!

Edited by EGOL, 27 January 2012 - 11:39 PM.

#8 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4437 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

My business plan:

Wake up, do stuff, sleep.

I tweak the "do stuff" daily, depends mostly on what needs doing ......

#9 RisaBB

RisaBB

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

However, I agree that the "exercise" of writing the plan will bring amazing clarity to your thinking

That's why I should do one.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users