• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9008 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

This item by Steve Yegge on Google Plus was withdrawn by him but re-published by Rip Rowan. I believe it could be the most significant thing to happen in the Google culture if the powers-that-be take notice.

Edited by bwelford, 12 October 2011 - 04:15 PM.

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5414 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:06 PM

Pretty interesting, Barry. Thanks.

I always wonder how things work at Amazon.

I read a similar article about Google+... that Google Management isn't eating the dogfood.

#3 AbleReach

AbleReach

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:34 PM

I sort of wish he'd used the word "usability" in where he writes about "accessibility."

Do you think he meant usability? He's obviously not talking about accessibility in the sense of being screen-reader friendly. On the other hand, what is accessibility, if not designing with awareness of a site's ability to function as a platform, for users and their devices and external places to display information?

Or was he talking about availability for use?

Am I making sense?

#4 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9008 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:06 PM

Your article too, Egol, is a real indictment of the upper echelons of Google. However it is IMHO an order of magnitude less of a problem than the one that Steve Yegge is so concerned about.

#5 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:37 AM

I sort of wish he'd used the word "usability" in where he writes about "accessibility."

I think he chose the right word, because what he's on about isn't that you can't use the data, but that you can't access it at all in many cases, and can't access it with the right means (API) to do anything.

Usability follows Accessibility, and of course they have many crossovers and no clear boundaries, but you only worry about the usability of something you can actually access at all. :D

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users