8 replies to this topic

#1 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

Hi Folks,
Can either of our Googlers or anyone weigh in on this email I received today from the email address: adsense-support@google.com. The link to log in, when I mouse over it, begins: http://click.comms.doubleclick.com and then a long string of symbols and numbers.

Please update your Google AdSense Tax Information

Hi,

We've recently been notified by the Internal Revenue Service that some of the tax information we have on record for your Google AdSense account may be inaccurate or out-of-date. As a result, we've placed your future AdSense payments on hold and kindly ask that you resubmit your tax information.

You can do so by following these steps:

1. Log into your account.
2. Click on 'Account Settings'.
3. Scroll down to 'Payment Settings' and click on 'update tax information'.
4. Click on 'change your tax information' and choose your tax form to update. Otherwise, follow the wizard to determine which tax form is right for you.

Note that your AdSense payments will remain on hold until you resubmit your tax information. If you're expecting a payment in November, we strongly encourage you to resubmit the requested information by November 15, 2011 so as to avoid any unexpected payment delays. We apologize if you may have already updated your information in the past year; however, we're sending this message in accordance with IRS regulations as required by law.

If you have specific questions about how you should update your tax information, please consult a tax advisor as we're unable to provide specific tax advice. However, for your convenience, we've included some general information about common errors below. Thank you for your patience and understanding with regards to this matter.

Sincerely,
The Google AdSense Team

1. COMMON TAXPAYER ID (TIN) MISMATCH/ERRORS

Example A:
SSN: XXX-XX-XXXX
IRS name: John Doe
AdSense Payee name: Johns Blog

You may receive payment to only one name; however, the IRS records indicate that your SSN matches only your IRS name and not your AdSense name. To update your AdSense payee name to match your IRS name, please visit: How can I change my payee name?.

Example B:
EIN: XX-XXXXXXX
IRS name: My Blog Incorporated
AdSense Payee name: John Doe

If you've entered an Employer ID Number on your form W9, your AdSense payee name must match the IRS records for that information. To update your AdSense payee name to match your IRS name, please visit: How can I change my payee name?.

Example C:
EIN: XX-XXXXXXX
IRS name: MyBlog Incorporated
AdSense Payee name: MyBlog.com

If your AdSense payee name contains non-letter characters (e.g. / " , ( ) . # $ : + @), please change your AdSense payee name so that there are no non-letter characters. To update your AdSense payee name, please visit: How can I change my payee name?.

2. NOTE on PAYEE NAME CORRECTION
Please note that updating your payee name will also require you to re-select a form of payment and re-submit your tax information. All changes need to be complete by the 15th of the month in order to take effect in that month's payment cycle.

3. TIN CORRECTION
If there's an error in your TIN, please resubmit your tax information. You can find information on how to do so here:How do I submit my tax information to Google? .

4. CONTACT THE IRS
If you believe that the payee name and SSN are correct on the tax form, please contact the IRS to verify your information.

Please note that the tax information collection interface and any tax-related information provided by Google is not intended as and should not be construed as legal, tax, or investment advice. You should always consult your tax advisor to help answer specific questions regarding how tax laws apply to you and/or your business. The tax summary we have provided is necessarily incomplete, and the tax laws and regulations are subject to change. Therefore, Google does not guarantee and is not liable for the accuracy or completeness of any tax information provided, or any results or outcome as a result of the use of this information.

2011 Google

Google, Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway Mountain View, CA 94043 USA

#2 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:54 PM

Sounds very Phishy to me.

Ignoring the links on that email, if you log in to your adsense is there any mention of payments on hold?

I just did a site:click.comms.doubleclick.com in Google and there is one URL listed and that redirects to a YouTube page This suggests to me that someone can create a redirect in doubleclick to go anywhere they wish.

It may well be from Google, but if so why link first doubleclick? Seems very odd.

But there is not exactly a lot of people talking about this so makes you wonder...

#3 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

Not the first time that Google Doubleclick has been used for Phishing

http://www.adamhisco...eclick-redirect

if that is the case.

Hopefully the Google Boys will solve the case!

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5365 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:35 PM

I would not use the link to log-in. I would just enter my adsense account as normal and follow the links.

#5 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:18 PM

Hi Folks - I wanted to upddate this thread to let you know that this turned out to be a legitimate email from Google. I logged into my account and saw that there was a real hold on the payments and a real request to update my info. The URLs in the email certainly looked spammy, but this was legit. Just in case you get one of these, don't ignore it. BTW, I cannot get down to a new paragraph in the forum today, so everything I'm writing is in one long paragraph. Any idea what might be causing that?

#6 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:27 PM

your enter key has a small gremlin sleep underneath it.

#7 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3790 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:38 PM

Just checking to see if the paragraph thing is a problem for me too.

Here's another paragraph.

And another.

#8 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:21 PM

Let's see if it's working now.

Yep - there it is. Guess the gremin got out from under it :)

#9 Vince Wicks

Vince Wicks

Runs with Computers Tech Ninja

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

This's a phishing. Don't trust such kinda emails. If you have any questions you can always call customer service. And If they confirm then you know what to do :)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users