• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4645 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:40 AM

Google is officially pulling the plug on seven more projects. Many of their capabilities have been incorporated into other Google offerings, all of the data has been retained.
* Google Bookmarks Lists
* Google Friend Connect
* Google Gears
* Google Search Timeline
* Google Wave
* Knol
* Renewable Energy Cheaper than Coal (RE<C)
Details: More spring cleaning out of season, Google Blog, 22-November-2011.

For those who were using Knol for backlinks all is not lost.
Knol will be moving to Annotum on May 1, 2012

You can migrate your knols to WordPress and continue your work with Annotum. After May 1, you will no longer be able to create, view, enter or edit knols, but you will be able to export your knols to WordPress.com and download them to file through October 1st, 2012.

See also:
* Annotum is Live!, annotum.org
* Annotum: an open-source journal authoring and publishing platform based on WordPress , YouTube, 17:29 minutes.

Carl Leubsdorf, Jr. is the person behind Annotum.

#2 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

Google Wave? Wasn't it the latest social media killer app? ;)

Sadly, I rarely, if ever, heard or used the other apps :(

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5501 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

Thanks!

I am not surprised to see some of these go... but I am surprised to see that some of them did not grow as expected. I personally thought that knol would explode and beat wikipedia. In fact, when it first came out I contemplated spending 1/2 of my time making content there. Good thing I didn't do that and lucky for the people who did that they can at least have an option for their content at closuer (although probably not a good option).

Renewable Energy Cheaper than Coal getting the ax isn't a surprise... they probably have not found any RE<C.

#4 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4433 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

Saw something on Wordpress.com today about knol., I think that there is an easy way to transfer data over. Never used Knol though, didn't like the feel of it.

#5 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2064 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:46 PM

Friend Connect is quite popular in the area I blog in as a tie in with those using a similar blogger account feature. Going to be some annoyed people that have spent time offering 'two entries to the draw if you join via friend contact as well as comment' and built up hundreds of 'friends'. I was just looking chuffed at my 28 the other day. I hope this doesn't mean I have to join facebook :unsure:

#6 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2622 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:27 AM

The only way Google will do Social is if they buy Facebook or one of the other platforms.
Must be annoying for anyone that spent time learning this tools, don't see any acknowledgement in the posts about that fact.

#7 DCrx

DCrx

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1295 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:01 AM

Google has Brazil pegged. At one time around sixty percent of Orkut was Brazilian.

Google strays too far from their core competencies. Like Microsoft, they'll get around to hearing about some fad, two years late. Three years later, they launch. Later they buy an also ran. Then they fold. ....lather, rinse, repeat.

The killer app of search is find. Google should stick to its knitting. If, however, they get the urge to dabble, do it from ther perspective of find.

Edited by DCrx, 24 November 2011 - 06:01 AM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users