• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4609 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

I am frequently amazed at the self-centred hubris* of Google. The current example is New markup for multi-lingual content, Google Blog, 05-December-2011.

Now granted, if you already know that what is actually happening is that Google is finally able to parse, identify, and act on HTML 4.01 - (12.3.3 Links and search engines) - 'hreflang=' and associated link attributes there is no problem with the announcement.

However, if you do not, the implication is that Google is providing something new and wonderful, i.e. rel=nofollow, rel=canonical. And the search media articles I've read, by and large, accept and perpetuate that misrepresentation.

This is Google catching up to what already exists, if not widely utilised. Because I like to build to standards/best practices and thought that it was a practical future-proof behaviour I built it into my sites code a number of years ago. Nice to be right. :) Glad to see Google agreeing with me... :D

* why do I consider it 'self-centred hubris'?
Because there is no mention of the W3C, the 4.01 HTML standard, or link such as I've provided (so far as I could see all links were self-referencing).

Note: given logfile analysis I suspect that this announcement is somewhat after the fact. If not, perhaps G's traffic targeting (and certain other interesting exceptions) will improve even more...

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users