• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 997 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:37 PM

I learned about http://getclicky.com/ on another forum. Has anyone heard about it? Any reviews on this forum?

#2 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3789 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:32 PM

I've used it for a long time. Love it. Love, love, love it.

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5361 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:45 PM

I have it on one of my sites. Pretty cool.

I wonder how much it slows down your site?

I really like the SPY screen and hearing the chime when someone enters your site.

Edited by EGOL, 09 December 2011 - 09:21 PM.

#4 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3789 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

It loads asynchronously so the speed really isn't a factor, afaik. And Yoast programmed the WordPress plugin for them, so it's topnotch.

#5 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 997 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:08 PM

Sounds like Im going to start testing it out. :)

Thanks

#6 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:07 PM

I've used it three years ago and liked it a lot:
- it's fast
- it has/had filters what GA didn't have
- it monitored downloads without inserting any JS code that GA required back then
- the interface is smooth and shiny, compared to grey-ish GA interface, designed by a programmer (naturally)

I haven't used Clicky for a while, but I would use it without hesitation, if I had the extra budget and needed the extra benefits, which may be critical, that GA doesn't provide.

#7 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2487 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:54 AM

The only thing is that it can be slow and data doesn't get kept for more than 12 months.

But it gives you greater insights then Google because it's not a tool that has been designed around the Adwords platform. It should, as it does for my clients, give you a better understanding of what is going on per visitor, whereas Google always makes you look at your bottom line, and tends to steer you away from Analytics. Even if it's part of the GA's name. Lots of different script implementations, you can even host it yourself I think.

API from hell. BAsically you can cream off what you want and plug it into other tools you use :spambuster:

:)

#8 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:48 AM

Unfortunately, it'd help to store the historical data, indeed. At least, to compare seasonal traffic for the same keyphrases/pages.

I know about the API and it might be useful, but so far I hadn't had the need to use it. Besides, I'm not a developer, so it's a limiting factor. Maybe I'd create my own dashboard or merge it with Drupal somehow ;) And yeah, serving the script yourself might be faster, but so far, I have found that GetClicky is pretty fast (especially, compared to Google Analytics). I have a hard time reasoning to host Clicky yourself, other than to include the code in a single file with other JS analytics (clicktale, etc) or template JS code.

Edited by A.N.Onym, 13 December 2011 - 09:49 AM.

#9 Doc Sheldon

Doc Sheldon

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:13 AM

Just to add my voice to the others... I only started using GetClicky about a month ago, but two things impressed me immediately:

1. Much more information that GA provides;

2. Noticeably faster load than with GA.

I highly recommend it for anyone that's looking for more in-depth information on their traffic.

#10 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 997 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

I already changed one of my sites to GetClicky. I'll see how much good info it's gathered after a month or so.
I do agree with the fact that it's faster in loading - just the size of the javascript itself.

#11 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 997 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:38 PM

I've been using GetClicky to track stats on one of my sites. Honestly I don't see much difference in terms of the features in comparison with Google Analytics but I definitely like the idea of not letting the big G! knowing every detail of my site.

#12 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5361 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

I have it on right now.. I am learning a lot about my traffic.. and the content they are consuming.

Too bad Google is sending so many visitors with [secure search] as their query. I think that the number of these is rising steadily.

It seems strange to me that google would buy a company, convert their product into Google Analytics, give it to webmasters, then start to dismantle it.

#13 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

It seems strange to me that google would buy a company, convert their product into Google Analytics, give it to webmasters, then start to dismantle it.

Requirements change.

Back when they wanted your site data and GoAn was an access point. And even if you never knew it (although some of us were howling in the wilderness) they shared only a fraction of what was being mined. (welcome to better analytics, by the way :)) Now they are seeing if they can keep that access to your data with an obvious retriction in data sharing in return. Because this no query data change affects not only GoAn but all analytics programs there is the obvious side benefit (to them) of making Webmaster Tools look like a solution - it is not. But realisticly few GoAn users will quit and some number of non-GoAn users will sign up to Webmaster Tools.

Google is taking good care of Google.

#14 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:57 AM

EGOL, that doesn't seem strange, that's very Googly exactly ;)

Google is taking good care of Google.

Yup-yup :)

As I was sure SEObook.com would have something gnashing to say about the topic, sure enough, there is a few articles, about the real reason of why Google hid the referrer data:

I think it is that its competitors in the online advertising space like Chitika and Chango are using search referral data to refine their (retargeted) ads and they're getting some astonishing results. In some ways, you could therefor describe this as mostly an anti-competitive move.

and that one should use several web analytics tool (I quite like the selection of analytic tools there :) ).

I just love reading SEObook on topics like these ;)

Edited by A.N.Onym, 17 January 2012 - 07:04 AM.

#15 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 997 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:33 PM

I am about to switch about 30 of my sites from GA to GetClicky and sign up for a paid account with them. Huraaaay

#16 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5361 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

Since we all seem to like this product, how about sharing a little about what you are doing with it?

-- I like to launch new content and then monitor the keywords that produce traffic. I can then tweak title tags and text to improve.

-- Also a very easy way to see what files are being downloaded.

#17 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

Interesting. I'm going to check this thing out.

Are any of you using Woopra? It is my absolute favorite analytics tool. I have it set up so that I get a desktop popup on the bottom of my screen each time I have a visitor. It tells me where the visitor is from, what they are viewing and how they arrived at my site.

#18 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3789 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

That's one thing I love about Clicky. I have the chrome extension that keeps me informed about how many people are on a site at the moment, where the last few came from, what keywords got them there, what part of the world they are in, and a little chart. Hang on, I'll go take a couple of screenshots to show what I mean. Will come back here and add them in in a moment.

clickytoday.png

clickylast5.png

clickychart.png

Those just drop down when I click the clicky icon in my browser toolbar. The icon in the toolbar itself has a little number on top of it that shows me how many users are on my site right now, without me having to do anything (don't have to click to see that). So for instance, if I normally see 5 or 10 there, and suddenly I see 80, then I know something big just happened and I'm getting lots of traffic.

#19 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:11 AM

When I was using Clicky, I liked to watch traffic in real time, pretty much the same that you look at:
- sources
- keyphrases
- landing pages.
It's pretty hypnotizing ;)

Donna, how did Clicky tie a visitor to a visitor's name (Amanda diSilvestro, who is a guest blogger, I believe)? Are they logged in users and Clicky had identified them itself or you've specified the name yourself, based on activity? Thanks.

Edited by A.N.Onym, 20 January 2012 - 03:13 AM.

#20 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4362 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:53 AM

Finally opened this thread after seeing that it has been updated every day. Looks interesting.

Can it work (wordpress plugin) with goan on too? I would like to know more about what people are doing, but cannot stop using goan just yet as all my comparisons etc. would go wobbly.

Maybe I will bung it a lesser site and see what happens ....

#21 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4362 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

I went and installed it, and it seems to work ok with goan running too.

Funny, as I was reading about GOAN alternatives the other day, and did not see the connection! GetClicky = Clicky
http://www.searcheng...nalytics/38764/

What is interesting so far is that the bounce rate is recorded at about 1/2 of Google. They also provide a graph that shows hourly usage, something I always felt Goan was lacking.

#22 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

jonbey: analytics programs tend to have different definitions and/or settings ( eg: bounce rate) so that one needs to RTM for each to see if one is comparing apples with apples or with zuchini.

#23 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4362 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:37 AM

Makes sense. To save me hunting for said manuals, does anyone know of the top of their heads the difference between GetClicky and Google?
I wonder if Clicky does not count clicking a link to leave as a "bounce", only counting browser close / back button?

#24 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:34 AM

Yeah, you can use it with GA.
I'm not sure, if there's a plugin for this, it's pretty easy to setup by inserting the code in the template, anyway. Then again, a plugin could make it easier to use more sophisticated tracking of events.

#25 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4362 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

yeah, at the moment I just shoved it in the footer.php which I assume is less stress on the server than another plugin. Maybe will look at the plugin, if it provides reports in the admin panel on page views for each article that could be handy.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users