Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Anyone Else Noticing Their Rel Author Tags Being Picked Up?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:08 PM

A few months ago I tried to implement rel author and couldn't get the darn thing to work (or so I thought). Today I was searching for something and saw my picture next to a post and I thought, "Oh, I likely shared that on Google plus" and then I realized that I was logged out of Google. I looked closer and realized that it was an author tag!

When I click on "More by _____" it shows me 3 other pages on my site that I have authored. I should have WAY more than that, so I'm assuming that there will be more to come. However, when I search for one of those 3 pages, my photo does not come up. It only does for one page.

I do think it is interesting that that one post is one of the most popular on my site. Perhaps rel author only generates an author photo after a certain number of pageviews? Or social shares?

Are you guys seeing your author tags working yet?

#2 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:43 PM

I'm noticing it on a lot more posts now. I see that when you click on "More by ______" it shows you a few pages that are possibly related to the initial one you saw in the serps.

I really think this could help increase CTR!

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5360 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:25 AM

Thanks for the report. This is good to know.

I started to implement this when it was first announced then Google started changing their mind about how it would work....

Now that I know that it is working. I might go back to it.

#4 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:40 PM

Interesting! Where is the image coming from? Is it a Google thing, or from author credit in the post itself?

#5 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

The image is my Google Plus Avatar. I set things up using the criteria outlined by Google:

http://support.googl...&answer=1408986

#6 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4359 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:29 PM

yes, mine are picked up now, although I did amend them (I think I had the anchor wrong).

Not that it helped mind you, the appearance of the author bits coincided with another big drop in Google search referrals.

#7 AbleReach

AbleReach

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:57 PM

I have sooo been putting off paying attention to G+. I click the + button once in a while but haven't done much else. Looks like I need to do some learning.

:blushing:

#8 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5360 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:33 PM

I am still not convinced that Google + merits my attention from a webmaster's perspective.

It might be a cool tool for staying in touch with people but I don't see how it's going to help my sites.

Either I don't "get it" or Google doesn't "get it".... I hate betting against Google - it's usually a mistake... but...

#9 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:48 PM

At first I thought Google+ was the cat's meow, but now I'm not so sure. I use it mostly because I feel it may give me an edge in the serps. I've heard people saying that posts that were shared on Google+ are more likely to get a boost in the serps. So, my main use of it is to post about new things that I post. But, if that's all that everyone does, it isn't going to stick around for long.

#10 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

I am still not convinced that Google + merits my attention from a webmaster's perspective.

Agreed.

Either I don't "get it" or Google doesn't "get it".... I hate betting against Google - it's usually a mistake... but...

Google has a social 'doesn't get it' history; just look at all the prior attempts, i.e. buzz, wave, that have bit the dust.

Google gets search (if tilted/tainted by business model) and gets ad serving. The rest, not so much.

They are slowly tying all their properties together with Plus, which is interesting to follow. And attempting to use their properties to 'sell' Plus usage. That Larry Page has apparently bet 'all in' with Plus is quite fascinating.

I do see that for those webdevs that are Google-centric Plus offers some possible benefits while binding them closer. As I believe that there is far more to the web than the Google-verse I treat their offerings with suspect respect and require a solid ROI before participating. So far the ROI on Plus looks to be 99% in G's favour - so I'll continue to pass.

Note: I happily use the rel=author link keyword (but not the silly rel=me).
Note: That Google is differentiating rel=author query results by Plus involvement is typical self-serving corporate behaviour.

#11 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:09 PM

I really think that having my avatar next to my post is making a difference in CTR. For most of my top converting keywords I am at position 2-4 in the SERPS. I think when users see a photo next to one of the listings it makes it stand out and they are more likely to click.

In the last 2 days since I started noticing my avatar appearing, my conversions have really increased. It's early days, but I like it. Now, eventually, likely everyone else will catch on and I won't be the only one in the SERPS with this advantage. But for now, I'll take it. :)

#12 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5360 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:34 PM

They are slowly tying all their properties together with Plus, which is interesting to follow. And attempting to use their properties to 'sell' Plus usage.

I think that they are offering every working person a hatchet... but most of those people want a screwdriver or a nail file... and they have never held a hatchet in their life.

I really think that having my avatar next to my post is making a difference in CTR..... since I started noticing my avatar appearing, my conversions have really increased.

Maybe you should start licensing your avatar?

#13 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4359 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:57 PM

Yeah, I have actually updated my Google+ photo just to have a more professional image next to my listings. Hoping that helps!

#14 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

Maybe you should start licensing your avatar?

Haha, I wasn't implying they were clicking because my avatar is anything special! Rather, the fact that there is a photo there draws some attention to the listing. I think there may be some implication that that listing is more important and worth looking at.

Yeah, I have actually updated my Google+ photo just to have a more professional image next to my listings. Hoping that helps!

There may be something to this. If someone was looking to talk to a vet, perhaps they see my picture and think that I'd be a good person to talk to. Who knows?

#15 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3789 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:57 AM

Google wants to - in some cases - be able to replace PageRank with AuthorRank. No, that's not a real word but the point is the same. Trust....it's all about trust. If an author has some trust and gets shared a lot, etc., then eventually that will matter in the algo.

Don't put this off people. (Egol, I'm looking at you).

It will be important.

#16 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5360 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:40 PM

Egol, I'm looking at you.

lol... you know how I hate to start new projects like this!

#17 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5360 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

I added rel=author to a couple hundred pages of my best content about a week ago - and added rel=me in a link between my site profile page and my google+ profile page.

My photo is now starting to appear in the SERPs. One thing that I have noticed... I am getting at least 3x as much spam from schmoozers and weasels who want mentioned, want a link, want an interview, want me to publish their crap content, or are "reaching out to me" for some BS reason...

If I was trying to market something, I'd say it works perfectly.

Edited by EGOL, 19 April 2012 - 11:20 AM.

#18 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

It's still a pilot program and not everyone can get into it. How Google determines who to include is beyond me. I spoke with Othar Hansson about this at the end of February 2012 (at SMX West 2012) and he said they were being very, very careful and conservative about expanding the program.

I suspect they are trying to identify a group of statistical signals that can be used in some sort of multiple correlation regression to identify trustworthy accounts.

I did point out to him that while my SEO Theory articles have my picture my other blog posts do not. He asked me to contact him in email about that and I've never gotten around to it. I should probably do that now...:)

#19 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5360 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

I just tested the "two link method" of getting your author photo to appear in the SERPs.

Very easy...

STEP 1: Place a link on your article page to your google plus profile but append ?rel=author to the URL
Example: http:s//plus.google.com/9999999999999?rel=author

STEP 2: On your Google+ "about" page add a link to the homepage of the site with the article as one of your "Contributor to" links.

You can read more about it here... http://www.stonetemp...s-sagar-kamdar/

With a better example of coding here... http://support.googl...&answer=1408986

================

Michael, I remember that you were talking about possible abuse of rel=author. I am wondering if everyone is going to start adding parameter links to their google plus page in forum sigs. It might be a good way to sneak your profile pic/link into some busy SERPs.

Edited by EGOL, 19 April 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#20 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

Rich snippets might be a way to sneak your picture into the SERPs. I wonder if Google has thought about that.

#21 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

Rich snippets have a number of possibilities. :)
Unfortunately, they are being royally spammed and abused by some and so far G doesn't seem to care.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users