11 replies to this topic

#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4623 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

FInally!!!

Note: all the usual disclaimers apply :)
Note: yes, I know that technically FB is not a SE but the topic is about PPC....and I like to twist the SE tiger tail every now and then. :D

FaceBook now offers a reasonable alternative to AdWords. If you are interested in PPC (pay per click) / CPC (cost per click) then take a look at FB's offering. The targeting is amazingly granular and the cost is typically a fifth to a third that of equivalent AdWords.

* Facebook Adverts
* Ads and Sponsored Stories, FaceBook Help Centre.

Now, if only they'd offer an alternative to AdSense...

Off Topic offtopic
Something I had not previously noticed but FB delivers pages based on your browser's language preference. Interesting list of available languages. English comes in either UK or US, French either Canada or France...

Not good at accommodating switching between them though...

#2 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:12 AM

I've used Facebook ads and I like them. I'm no expert, but one thing I found was that CPM bidding was much more economical for me than CPC. I think it works for certain niches, but not all.

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5443 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:38 AM

Dr.Marie,

How did you target your ads?

Do you know if keywords can be targeted?

Thanks!

#4 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4623 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

EGOL... :banana_wgun: ... some people just won't RTM (this being a well mannered fora have ommitted the usual expletive adjective :))... perhaps this page (two levels lower from link provided in OP) will be helpful.
Note: click each link (blue question) for additional information.

How are interests identified?
Interest targeting allows advertisers to target people based on information they’ve provided in their profile (timeline). This includes listed likes and interests, the Pages they like, apps they use, and other profile (timeline) content they’ve provided.
What is Topic targeting?
Topic targeting (marked with a #) lets you target everyone who has expressed interests closely related to the term you select. For example, "#Cooking" lets you reach interests like "cooking," "cooking tips," and "cooking and eating." Precise interests (unmarked) target people who have expressed that specific interest. For example, "cooking" includes only the interest "cooking."

I think the basics are well covered. The rest is a matter of spending a couple hundred dollars running tests before creating full ad campaigns.
Note: I recommend considering FB data and adjusting rather than simply plugging in whatever works in AdWords.

#5 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5443 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for that quote. :)

I did look at that page and read the targeting options... but didn't see "keyword" so that's why I asked.

I think that the targeting options explained will work nicely with a lot of products. But, not so well with others. If they had keyword targeting they would get more business.. but that might be hard to do.

#6 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3817 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:00 PM

Egol, "keyword" will equate to interests and topics in most instances. You may need to branch out to a slightly broader term, but in general, it won't take too much creativity to find appropriate matches.

#7 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:53 PM

I do believe there is keyword targetting. Whenever I post on my wall something about working out or losing weight all of a sudden the ads that I see are weight loss and exercise ads.

When you run a campaign you can put in a bunch of keywords and facebook will show your ads to people who have identified those keywords as things that they like. (I am assuming facebook will use the contextual content of the page to determine if your ads fit as well.) When I started up my forum for veterinary technicians I ran facebook ads that only displayed for people who had identified themselves as a veterinary technician, veterinary technologist, veterinary nurse or animal nurse. You can narrow it even further and only display to certain age groups, or to single/married people, or only women/men or only to certain countries or cities.

As you make your selections Facebook tells you how big your audience is likely to be.

#8 thebigfixer

thebigfixer

New To Community

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:33 AM

First post!! woop

My understanding on Facebook keywords is more about interests and not questions - in my experience so many get PPC (adwords - I ignore adsense) wrong and it end up with so much negative press ("Yeah tried it - it was rubbish)
In essence both are about quality and defining right into the most niche areas to get hte best results

Both need a lot of time, effort and patience

On a further matter any having success with Linkedin ads?

#9 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4399 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

I found LinkedIn ads to be useless. Also a bit peeved off with their so called introductory offer!

#10 thebigfixer

thebigfixer

New To Community

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

Hmm - interesting - you are not the only person I have heard that from - I have avoided until things settle down

#11 Rachael

Rachael

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:14 AM

In my opinion, Facebook and Google both are efficient platforms when it comes to PPC. It depends on what web page you are selecting and also on the type of ad you place. Make sure to place appropriately so as to get maximum benefits.

#12 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2545 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:54 AM

FB good but conversion path much longer. search satisfies immediate need, and search has this typology imprinted on peoples mind.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users