• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2041 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:11 PM

It's that sort of time of year when people think about plans for the next one. I was just wondering if anyone wanted to share what was on their to do list? Maybe the things that you've got jotted down to one side as things to get around to trying out, which you haven't quite got to yet.

My to dos include microformats, tring out rel=author, maybe trying a mobile version on one site. On another I wondering about the idea of formatting one of my books for kindle.

I think I'm going to sit down and work through each of my main sites and see what needs do and then make a giant list, then see how far I actually get down it.

How about you?

Hope everyone is having a good Christmas/holiday of your choice :)

Tam

#2 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3790 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:33 PM

I'd like to duplicate my efforts at creating a good site and selling it like I did with the template site, and see if I can manage to make that a fairly repeatable process. I'd also like to do more small business wordpress conversion type of work. Or...I might do a dozen other things that I haven't even considered yet. Who knows... :D

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5363 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:06 PM

I am working on....

* videos for a niche retail site that show people how to use a product
* pages of substantive content that will host these videos and compete in the SERPs.
* I am going to flood this niche with content like has never been done before

* I have a information site in a very broad niche that needs one substantive article per week
* same site has a blog that needs several short blog posts per day
* I have been working on this site for a few years doing the above

* adds "do rel=author" to the list because Donna will say something if I don't get this done

I'd like to duplicate my efforts at creating a good site and selling it like I did with the template site, and see if I can manage to make that a fairly repeatable process.

It would be great if you can start doing this... maybe you could start a biz... kickstarting websites for people.

#4 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2041 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:50 PM

Pop me down for video too, I thought maybe I'd try combining reading some articles/book extracts, with clips explaining my points.

#5 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:58 AM

In "Rework", it's argued that in everchanging environment, it's laughable to make significant plans for the nearest future, let alone a year or several years. Of course, some targets can be set, however ;)

Practically, on my work related front, I hope to:
- get my freelance work sorted
- start a few hobby projects, outline the workfront for them and make some substantial progress, EGOL style.
- the new hairdresser site of my client into a business-driving machine (SEO+local+mobile+social should be a bomb ;) )
- drive a few social projects (organizing the local running community, saving and improving a ski track, preparing to defend the fairness of the closest presidential elections, etc) with one or more of my sites.

Of course, if God existed, he'd laugh, hard, at me mentioning the above. However, I do hope to make *some* progress ;)

Since the above is done partly in Runet, it's not about using the new stuff that you guys routinely use, but about hoping that the solid best practices (best of the web content, linkbait, etc) stick. That being said, I'd check out:
- rel="author'
- microformats (useful for shops, reviews, etc)
- niche social sites

Thanks for reminding me about the video, I might investigate it as well, seeing as how top 60-80% of SERP real estate is covered with Youtube links for some my niche queries.

IMHO, one of the better things the web can do for us is to drive offline. So that's where I plan to work: to improve my and others' offline life with online.

Edited by A.N.Onym, 28 December 2011 - 07:04 AM.

#6 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:11 AM

I am starting off the year by refreshing the coding in all of my pages. I have a lot of code that is repeated on multiple pages (sort of like sidebar widgets would be if it was a wordpress site) and what I am doing is taking the code out of the page and replacing it with an include. That way, if I want to change something in the "widget" I only have to change the code once.

As I'm doing this I'm finding all sorts of things that I can improve on my pages. Soooooo....it's a tedious job but it's kind of like a content audit. I'm taking out some stuff and modifying other things and generally improving my site both for search engines and also for the user.

My other goal is to take some old subdomain niche sites I had and transfer the content over to my main domain.

My goal this year is to clean up my site and get it ready for moving to a new host. (Remember we had that discussion a while back?) I stayed with my host after the database connection issue because it seemed to improve. But, then an article of mine took off and I was getting 7000 visitors per day and the host couldn't handle it. I'm planning to move to a new host that can handle the odd spike in traffic. And hopefully, those kind of numbers won't be spikes, but rather that will be my regular amount of traffic. So, I may as well move now!

#7 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:13 PM

Speaking planning for the next year's Google, it seems to be working hard to extract the middleman (the website) from search.

Most probably, it means we ought to pledge once more to build our resources, while not relying on Google at all. Some things never change.

Also, thanks to iamlost, I'm going to research how to gather, analyze and use analytics data on return customers.

Edited by A.N.Onym, 30 December 2011 - 12:47 PM.

#8 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

Well, here's more to add to one's planning list:
http://insidesearch....ights-with.html

#9 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

I am hard at work on a directory of restaurants with braille menus. My goal is to call 100 restaurants a day for 100 days, starting with chains that have a reputation for offering braille menus. So far, only about 10% say their braille is current. Fully 20% aren't sure if they have them or not and about the same amount said "yes, but they're outdated." Another 20-25% say they used to have them, but don't any more.

The plan is to contact 100 an average of venues a day for the first 100 days. I have done much less contacting and much more building of my call list, but I still think it will average out to 100 a day - fingers crossed! If you happen to know someone who can write brief restaurant reviews that attest to the quality of a braille menu, tell them to get in touch!

#10 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2041 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

That's very specific plan, which sounds like a good way to actually get things done. Interesting project too!

#11 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 602 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

I am trying to map out my tasks in a logical fashion so I do not forget to do a post or edit or cleanup. It is very easy for me to go off on a tangent and the next thing I know something is not done.
I hope the task list will help me keep up to date.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users