4 replies to this topic

#1 Walter

Walter

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 607 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

Hello,

Godaddy has an option to go with a dedicated ip, rather than sharing. I've read a few places that this can help with SEO, or at least prevent any negative consequences of a "bad neighborhood." I'm wondering if there is anything to this and if its a good idea.

Walter

#2 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 575 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

I would avoid GoDaddy. I've had some bad experiences with them. They talked me in to buying all sorts of keyword domains that I didn't need when I first got started. And then they just tried to auto renew something that I didn't want auto renewed. It was brutal trying to figure out how to stop that auto renewal.

It may be fine to use them if you need a cheap domain name and just need a bit of space to goof around in. But if this is an important site or one that you plan to grow into a big one then I would look elsewhere.

I'm sure others can answer your question better about the SEO stuff, but I thought I'd put my two cents in.

#3 Walter

Walter

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 607 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:13 PM

Maria,

I've had good luck with godaddy so far, though when I first started they did tend to upsell a bit agressively. I will say though that I've never had much traffic on any of my sites, I'm hoping for a little more with this new project, so I'll check into a few alternatives.

Thanks Maria,

Walter

P.S. I did buy 10 .com domains from them today, including the proxy registration service on the domains, it was about 91.00 . . . which I thought was a good deal. Was I wrong?

#4 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

In my opinion, the only non-experimental reason to get dedicated IP addresses any more is if you are running email services from your domain(s). You're not going to see any sort of search optimization boost from having a dedicated IP address.

GoDaddy is probably no better or worse than any other big hosting provider.

#5 Walter

Walter

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 607 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

Mike,

No, I won't be running an email service. So, If t here aren't any real advantages for me, then I'll skip the dedicated ip. Its not a lot of money, but it does just about double the price per month.

Thanks Mike.

Walter

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users