• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 612 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:32 PM

Just today I opened an email inquiry for an international order.
Orders like this are not too uncommon as we have shipped to most parts of the world but something about this email seemed odd.
The customer professed to be a shop owner in Australia but the address I requested did not included a business name. The English was a bit off as well.

I downloaded eMail TrackerPro and loaded the email headers. Sure enough the email originated in Nigeria.

We are lucky in that this is only the second time we have been even close to being spoofed. One night I spent an hour on the phone with a TTY operator, going back and forth until at the final moment the billing address for the credit card turned out to be you know where. I was also tipped off when the "customer" did not seem to be that interested in the details such as color.

If nothing else it was cool to be able to trace the email.

I think I am going to contact our credit card processor for details on what happens if we take a stolen card. In all the years we have never had a legitimate charge back or stolen card, yet.

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5501 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

That's an amazing story.

I just read that the average ecommerce site loses 1.4% of it's revenue to fraud.

Fraud is highest for software, hard-copy music, gadgets.

You must be selling knitting needles to old ladies?

#3 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 612 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

No knitting needles, wedding favors.

Funny story though, our company name used to be Experimental Studio. Brides would use thier parents card to charge an order of favors which usually run between $300.00 to $900.00 per order.
In a few instances, when the parents got the statement and there was a bill for $700.00 or so to Experimental Studio they would start a charge back.
Then we would have to contact them and everything would be fine but it was occurring often enough that we changed our name and made sure that The Wedding Dept appeared on the statements.

The biggest problem we have had was collecting GST for Canadian Customers.
FedEx was delivering packages with out collecting the tax, then they would bill the customer.
Customers were not paying and FedEx somehow thought they would get the money from us.
Long story short, we did not end up paying the tax and we now use the post office for Canadian orders.
They will not release a package without collecting the tax.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users