• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scratch

Scratch

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:26 AM

So Google have just announced that search results will soon be influenced by your (Google Plus) social map.

Here’s yesterday’s blog post from the official Google blog: http://googleblog.bl...your-world.html

I just posted a new article about what it means to the rest of us: http://www.webdesign...t-really-means/

It ends up in slightly "conspiracy" / "rights watch" space, which I didn't expect when I started writing.

#2 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2581 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for the share, here s the problem(s)

1. People share c*** infactual stuff about themselves online. For example People's choices/likes in Facebook are made based on a knowledge that their actions may be seen by their freinds. So long live vanity search and may it produce great results.

2. Verifiability becomes an even longer word with these changes. Why doesn't google just PPC the whole of search and ditch organics, at least it would be ethically honest of them, rather than going through the motions of making verifiability more and more distant, from unsocial searches.

3. Privacy - it's another reason to switch over to bing. Exactly how much data about habits G is amassing on users behaviour is one fo the big problems. In the end the European laws on privacy I am sure will come into effect.

4. I think that when people see faces on the page of google some will think they've been hacked...and some of my friends have horrid pictures, which makes for a nasty search experience!

Cheers.

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13609 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

Privacy - it's another reason to switch over to bing.

AGREED! Google continues to have a business mind of an egotistical maniac and I've grown quite tired of it.

#4 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:33 AM

3. Privacy - it's another reason to switch over to bing. Exactly how much data about habits G is amassing on users behaviour is one fo the big problems. In the end the European laws on privacy I am sure will come into effect.

I'm not bothered by the amassing as I am by the sharing. What gives them the right?

#5 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:26 AM

I'm not bothered by the amassing as I am by the sharing. What gives them the right?

Their ToS.
And no (except somewhat in EU) laws or regulations that say otherwise.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users