• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sansonj72

sansonj72

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 479 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:22 PM

I changed from my old website provider to my own site. After doing this I did the 301 redirects thinking I would keep my PA authority, but to my surprise I only kept my domain authority. Why is this? Will it soon come back on its own? I know how to rebuild it, but UGH this means blogging to each page again over and over to get my PA have way there. I honestly thought the 301 redirect would have prevented this. The site is "AzBestListings.com" Any tips and thoughts, etc?

#2 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:00 AM

The link weight is being passed right now, the PR will have to wait until the next visible TB PR update.

That being said, I'd still keep the 301 redirects as long as possible (and try to change the old links to point to new pages, too).

#3 sansonj72

sansonj72

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 479 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

My issue on changing my links is that I do not think the blog platform will create links, which the old site used since it was a database driven site, so I guessing it used PHP or something, and created links that are not clone able.

#4 Ovi

Ovi

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:44 AM

So if there is a difference between the 2 website platform (I mean that the 2 platforms create the URL differently) 301 redirect is the best solution.
For example in Wordpress there is a plugin that redirect old URL to new URL or to an existant page.

#5 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:16 AM

Some good platforms (WordPress, Drupal) allow specifying custom URLs for pages. To specify the old URLs, you'd have to do it by hand or ask a developer to help you do it automatically.

As Ovi said, 301 redirects from old URLs to the new URLs is your best bet, just be patient. Your traffic should be back within a week, but Toolbar PR might require an update or two.

Have you used 301 redirects for all your old URLs?
How has your traffic changed since then?

#6 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4425 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:38 AM

What platforms are you using?

If you went to Wordpress, install the Broken Link Checker and use the "fix redirect" function after setting them up in htaccess - much better than getting Wordpress to do all the redirects. I think.

If not Wordpress, I ain't got a clue!

Edited by jonbey, 20 January 2012 - 11:22 AM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users