Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

A Crowded Field For A Industry? What Advice Would You Give ...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MainStreet228

MainStreet228

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

Hi Everyone,

What advice would you give someone that's trying thinking about getting into a competitive online industry regarding there SEO practices. For example, if I'm trying to rank for the key-phrase "coffee makers" (I'm not, just using that as an example). What advice would you recommend I do to get my website "out-there" and known? FB, Twitter, Google+, Videos etc ... what ideas or suggestions do you have ....

Thanks

#2 DCrx

DCrx

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1285 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

Basically, this is a "know your customer" issue. And putting up a site without some good ideas will yield a lot of grief, toil, and fruitless pursuit.

Look at how the coffee maker industry is failing customers. That's a start to finding a niche that converts. Make good on the failed promises of the industry. An example could be the things fail within a handful of months.

That's why people are searching for coffee makers. And they ain't satisfied when all they find is a coffee maker. They want somebody to offer a coffee maker that lasts.

Don't take the key phrase on face value. Dig underneath the alpha numeric string to the root cause.

Simply put this is called developing a competitive advantage. From this comes positive reviews, backlinks from influential bloggers, page rank, traffic, and conversions. From its lack come all manner of marketing and sales problems.

The killer app of search marketing is find.

Edited by DCrx, 14 January 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#3 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

Look at how the coffee maker industry is failing customers.

I love this idea! On my site I encourage people to ask questions. What I end up finding out is where there are gaps in the internet. One of the keys to my success is finding information that is lacking online and then providing it.

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5462 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

Let's say you are in the "coffee" niche. Even though there is an awful lot of competition there is also an awful lot of searching and an awful lot of money changing hands.

Rather than give you advice, I'll just ask three questions:

"How much do you know about coffee?"

"How much enthusiasm do you have for this topic?"

"How well can you write, sing, photograph, graph, talk and complain about this topic with a quality that will inspire people to tweet, like, link, and blog about you?"

If you can give kickass answers to the three questions above then I think that you have a chance at success.... if you don't then you better be an expert at SEO and have a lot of resources that can be used for this project.

The information that I gave above was for organic SEO. If you are going to attack PPC then you will need to get the coffee makers at a fantastic price, be an expert at PPC, be an expert at converting website visitors into buyers, and be doing enough volume that you can get deep discounts on everything that you need to fulfill orders.

For the average person off of the street... I would not bet on you.... but if I talked with you and could tell that you had coffee in your veins I might be willing to see a few blog posts or articles on your website before I declined to bet.

#5 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:15 AM

The killer app of search marketing is find.

I love this sort of thinking. Love love. I think that's what socialization is really good at, too. If a post makes someone laugh or is really good at solving a problem, it is more likely to be passed around.

I encourage people to ask questions. What I end up finding out is where there are gaps in the internet.

Love this, too. There is no substitute for for-real interaction. Keyword research is nice, but need-knowlege is essential.

Off Topic offtopicAside -- I am not seeing the name of who I am quoting, if I use quote=username, or quote='username' or quote="username" --could it be that there is a manual place to set up our bbcode, something that was wiped out when Kim did our update?
Or maybe not - [ offtopic ] [/ offtopic ] w/o spaces still works.

#6 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

Look at how the coffee maker industry is failing customers.

I quite agree. This was put beautifully. What I normally say (and do) is "Look at what the competitors are doing and try something different", but really you should be looking for ways to meet needs that are not already being met.

The new kid on the block, the dark horse on the horizon, the outsider will usually garner a lot of attention. If you create UNIQUE value and experience, you'll find you have an easier time of competing. Build up your strengths on the fringe before plunging into the crowd and trying to take on the big guys in direct competition.

#7 uvidy

uvidy

New To Community

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

Basically, this is a "know your customer" issue. And putting up a site without some good ideas will yield a lot of grief, toil, and fruitless pursuit.
Don't take the key phrase on face value. Dig underneath the alpha numeric string to the root cause.Don't take the key phrase on face value. Dig underneath the alpha numeric string to the root cause.

Simply put this is called developing a competitive advantage. From this comes positive reviews, backlinks from influential bloggers, page rank, traffic, and conversions. From its lack come all manner of marketing and sales problems.

I totally agree with this and loving it.

I'm working on a start up website and this is definitely useful information I can use, thanks!

#8 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2567 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:17 AM

It's great advice. And if there's something we all know it's that the INternet is the prime place for people to b**** about companies or products, so you can find out where people are failing very quickly :)

#9 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:36 AM

Well, practically, the above greatly worded advice can be put into a few general pieces of advice:
- identify the needs, worries and problems of your customers (including different types of your customers, those seeking solutions, information, etc)
- solve them, show how you can do it and do it beautifully
- be different and better, than your competition in most or all regards.

I'd suggest reading a few books by Bryan Eisenberg on the topic of discovering the needs and delivering website content to convert visitors into buyers. This same research/knowledge about the needs can be reused in search and social marketing to improve targeting, articles, topics choice, etc.

My favorite approach is to focus on conversions (usability/persuasion/credibility) and most converting phrases, rather than the amount of traffic. It allows you to slowly build a business, while building your base for future successes.

By all means, it's not an easy path to take, but that's what it takes to get ahead of a crowded field.

Once again I'd like to quote Ammon:

What else could be done about mobile internet browsing. Not limiting ourselves to either short-term thinking or ease of application. That's because most of the biggest leaps in business are not about what is easy or short-term.

Edited by A.N.Onym, 25 January 2012 - 08:40 AM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users