How To Make A Mobile Version Of My Site?
Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:37 PM
I'm assuming I need a php script that determines whether the users are on a mobile platform or not and then redirecting them to a different theme on the site than the "Main Theme". Is that correct?
I don't really want to use the tools out there to automatically convert my current site to mobile. I want to write a new theme/design for the mobile version of the site.
Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:59 AM
However, there are several ways to skin a mobile site:
- to create mobile-specific stylesheets with your current HTML
- to improve your current HTML layout, if it's not that fluid, and use mobile-specific stylesheets for responsive design (that's the current trend in mobile design)
- to use a mobile-theme, which would be similar to the 2nd variant, but use it only for mobile users
- to detect mobile users and redirect them to a mobile theme with different content.
Which one to take would depend on your needs, there've been a few discussions on the topic:
To understand this better, I'd start here with great advice from Ammon and iamlost (2008).
Then, there's a discussion whether the mobile and desktop versions should be identical (2011).
Then, there are a few mobile design questions with answers (2010).
My personal choice is to use responsive web design, but later to bother with:
- HTML5 to provide backwards compatible, but potentially better styling for newer browsers
- more mobile-specific changes to the stylesheets to improve navigation and reading
- a mobile theme with different content for the mobile users.
Right now, there's more ROI to be had for me to work on other things instead of creating a different mobile theme, so I rely on responsive design mostly.
That being said, if you have the resources and want to become the go to mobile site on the topic, I would create the best there is of mobile design and content for a site (after all, it's not too difficult, but you really need to have mobile-specific content/functionality). Like Ammon said:
What else could be done about mobile internet browsing. Not limiting ourselves to either short-term thinking or ease of application. That's because most of the biggest leaps in business are not about what is easy or short-term.
More links on responsive design:
Edited by A.N.Onym, 17 January 2012 - 09:36 AM.
- mrgoodfox likes this
Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:14 PM
Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:20 PM
I don't think there could be a better, faster, or more versatile way to make your site mobile friendly.
Edited by wiser3, 19 January 2012 - 05:21 PM.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users