7 replies to this topic

#1 lirys

lirys

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 381 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:06 AM

Hi
I belong to those people whom enjoy reading a book still,, and now i am searching for a good book about CSS3 and HTML5 and i want something that you actully go through samples and build stuff not just one that throws specs at me.
so i thought perhaps there was some whom also still read books here that could recomend me a really good starter book i read some but not nearly enough.
thanks
lirys

#2 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13454 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

There are many and I have a few here at home, all of them confusing. The best teacher I know is Virginia Debolt, aka "Web Teacher".

You can find her here - Web Teacher

I believe our Donna Fontenot is up to speed on HTML5...aka "Dazzlin' Donna"

#3 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3789 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

I never bought any of the books, so I don't have an opinion on them. I wrote a very short, very introductory guide at http://freehtml5temp...learning-guide/ .

But I'm assuming you are wanting much more than that. And unfortunately, I haven't gone the paper-book route to learning code in a long time, so I can't help with that. Sorry.

#4 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

I love books too...still my preferred way to learn is by flipping pages. :)

There is a serious problem with HTML5 as relates to books: the spec itself is close to a thousand pages. Obviously a book of a couple to a few hundred pages can either be a featherlight overview or delve into only a portion.

Then there is CSS3 and JavaScript because the three now work together more often than not. To add to the confusion/learning curve is that while one can still write JavaScript from scratch many/most webdevs are using one or another of the available libraries (pre-written scripts) such as jQuery, MooTools, et al. Each has it's own strengths and weaknesses, sometimes which one is 'best' depends on the project requirements.

And, frankly, most of the books on HTML5/CSS3 I've read weren't worth the money. However, what fails for one reader may succeed for another. That disclaimer aside my favourites:

* Sergey's HTML5 & CSS3: Quick Reference. HTML5, CSS3 and APIs. (2nd Edition) by Sergey Mavrody, 02-January-2012.
Brand spanking new edition.
Yes, HTML5/CSS3 needs an entire cheat sheet book.
Note: this is really a reference book rather than a 'how to' book. Of course the better you get the more that might change.

* The Book of CSS3: A Developer's Guide to the Future of Web Design by Peter Gasston, 13-May-2011.

* JavaScript Patterns by Stoyan Stefanov, 28-September-2010.
Note: not the best book for a beginner.

As you'll notice not a single 'HTML5' book. :(
However, I've had colleagues say they found the following very helpful:
* Introducing HTML5 (2nd Edition) by Bruce Lawson and Remy Sharp, 28-October-2011.

* HTML5 Multimedia: Develop and Design by Ian Devlin, 12-November-2011.

And I've got my eye on several more to buy in the coming months...especially some targeting single or similar elements rather than the entire spectrum...

#5 lirys

lirys

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 381 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:21 AM

thank you all I ended up just ordering some and i will write here if i came over something good. great to know that some are up to date with html5 i am not one but i hope to be sooooon....
as i start a new job with a a commute that dont allow much reading it may take a while longer then i planed.. I hope Donna that it will be ok to ask and ask you. My first question would be why Html5 what do you see as the best reason to start working with it now?
lirys

#6 ahamadhussain

ahamadhussain

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

Hai..

"Introducing HTML5" by Bruce Lawson and Remy Sharp.
this book very easy for learning......

#7 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13454 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

On the topic of books...having been given a Kindle for Christmas (and LOVING IT!), and being a book junkie, I've been able to download some excellent books for work. It's another affordable option and the books and information are more portable this way :)

#8 TheAlex

TheAlex

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Based on CSS: The Missing Manual, I'd recommend CSS3: The Missing Manual - it's by the same author. I found the former very useful - especially a section on known bugs; I find it much easier to look through the contents/index of a book than searching on the internet for some things, especially when you don't really know what you're looking for...

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users