Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Is Google Stopping Focusing On The Customers?

google ethics do-no-evil

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:07 AM

1. Recently, we've all heard the story of how Google stole Mocality's data and tried to take over their business by lying to their clients.

Back then, Google promised to investigate.

So, it did and the Kenya Google's head is rolling.

2. In other news, Google, while preventing the referrer data being shown to its free customers, sells Google Analytics data to other interested parties.

3. In another update, Google has enough Twitter's data, but refuses to cooperate with it, based on value, and only allows its own social platform (G+) in search results.

So, what do you think, has Google finally stopped focusing on its customers, or it's already inherently biased towards its self-preservation, advance to other markets and killing its competition?

Edited by A.N.Onym, 31 January 2012 - 06:15 AM.

#2 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2331 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:29 AM

A.N.onym you can't be serious. It's business....nothing personal.

#3 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:07 AM

It can't be personal, but Google tauts that it's all done for its customers.

While I wouldn't totally mind, if Google openly stated that that's how it does business, this ambiguity is annoying.

I suppose I should've stated that it's not transparent, rather than evil.

For example, Google used to welcome AdSense/AdWords customers back in the days. Now it's disabling AdWords accounts, based on deleted campaigns that now don't comply with the *new* rules.

What has changed for Google, it doesn't need new/existing customers any more? Is it just the fear not to appease to its investors? If so, does it strengthen its competitive advantage?

Edited by A.N.Onym, 31 January 2012 - 06:18 AM.

#4 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2331 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:35 AM

I don't know where you've been living these past few years, but tell me so when I want to detach from eveything I know the safe haven

:)

#5 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4454 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

Google has always been focussed on it's customers...the problem is that many/most people incorrectly identify who that is. It is NOT AdSense publishers, NOT the searching masses...it is the advertisers. To correctly identify a customer is actually very simple: who is paying.

The searching masses are G's inventory, AS pubs are subcontractors, various UGC, i.e. YouTube, is the product equivalent of unpaid interns... and those buying access to G's ad networks are the paying customers.

#6 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

Well, how disabling AdWords accounts by applying new rules to old *deleted* campaigns work for paying customers? ;)

#7 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5175 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

To correctly identify a customer is actually very simple: who is paying.

Yep, and the people who are getting something for free are the "product" of the business.

#8 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2331 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:26 AM

Well it's an interesting point this one, because without the customers your

Google has always been focussed on it's customers...the problem is that many/most people incorrectly identify who that is. It is NOT AdSense publishers, NOT the searching masses...it is the advertisers. To correctly identify a customer is actually very simple: who is paying.

Same for Facebook, although 600million people believe that actually Facebook wants people to get closer to one another.

#9 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

I think it's a little over-simple to say Google focuses just on Adword customers. The whole edifice they create (as with Facebook) is UGC (User generated content), so they must make sure that it's an attractive place that keeps people interacting with it in a whole variety of ways. In a sense when you do so you are giving free 'product' to Google. Provided they do it right, you will be happy to keep interacting and the whole place gets bigger and more attractive to other users. Only when all that is working well will Adwords customers want to spend their money and 'buy'. However the rest of us have already given our time in creating UGC and that's important to Google.

Edited by bwelford, 01 February 2012 - 11:06 AM.

#10 sansonj72

sansonj72

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

From what I understand the users are the customers to google. They want to deliver the best experience possible to their users, and advertisers are second, because if the users are happy their will be more users, and if there are more users there will be more google ppc clients.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users