• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2624 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:29 AM

Today as part of my most repetitive strain injury as engineered by Google, I went through the motions of switching off Google Instant, setting my results to 100 so I could start work as usual.

I noticed that there had yet again been some changes and now, I guess because Google is also collecting stuff like Hardware ID, it can also sniff lots more information about your OS etc.....Still don't get how they can determine whether my computer is up to speed on being able to support google Instant.

Here's a screen of what to expect.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/48v25

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4645 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

While it is possible to pickup quite a bit about a computers hardware-software configuration - computers are chatty critters - I suspected when I first read about this that they are simply leveraging send rate so that if a given connection - combination of computer, connection, and route - speed can't handle it, i.e. requests some defined percentage be sent again, slow the send rate and drop Instant.

Many servers are configured to do this sort of thing in one of two ways: either start slow and increase the send rate until some fail threshold is reached and dial one back or start fast and on fail threshold dial-down in steps until connection reception is acceptable. Note: this is usually not a one time connection test but a constant real time monitor and adjust behaviour. Some servers also have the option to adjust packet size. In combination this is a great method of maximising resources. One of the benefits of a dedicated server. :)

#3 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2624 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

I have my doubts.....nothing is what it seems.

and I love my dedi. Working for me 24/7....

#4 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4645 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:55 AM

I have my doubts.....nothing is what it seems.

Of course it isn't ye of limited sensibilities... existence is a a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma (to borrow Churchill's observation of Russia :)) and then all us humans muddle things up even more...

and I love my dedi. Working for me 24/7....

What?! You don't load balance with time off for personal AI development? Shame on you, oppressor of developing silicon life forms... didn't you learn anything from Terminator?

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users