Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

How To Broaden Our Scope With Different Categories But Same Basic Product?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

Sorry for the cryptic topic but I have been locked in mortal combat with our carbonite restore for the past 3 days and I am a bit toasty.

We want to make a big move to help broaden the scope of our business.

While our ornaments and chimes have been primarily marketed as wedding favors we have sold a lot of them, in the past, to people as anniversary favors, sweet 16 favors, bridal showers, convention favors and so on.

We feel and customers have indicated our current website, in my profile, seems to limit our appeal to simply wedding favors.

In spite of the fact that this domain is 13 or better years old we plan to more everything to an other domain, choicefavors, which we have owned for more than 5 years. ( nothing there now except the WordPress framework )
We are weighing the options between cleaning up the site and keeping it html or rework a new WordPress theme.

The quandary is how, or if even, to target separate markets with individual pages. It is not like we have separate favors for separate events, they would be the same items, the only difference would be how the customer sees them.

I would appreciate any input or ideas on how to or now not to approach this problem.

#2 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2085 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

the only difference would be how the customer sees them.

I think that hits the nail on the head. At the moment your customers are using their imagination for how they can use your wedding favours in others ways. So what you need to do is show them all the different ways they can use favours, including for their wedding, so they don't have to imagine (that makes them work too hard).

One of the things I notice about your website is all the product photos show the items in isolation. If you think about furniture catalogues etc. you often see the item they are selling within a room, so you can imagine how your home could look. The same with clothing sales or car adverts - you see the people/lifestyle of the products owners. You're selling an idea/something to aspire too.

I would do the same, get some good photography of your items being used for each type of event. It doesn't have to be all the items just examplers and build a page around that... the most popular type for that event, how to pick, what to do with them, a relevent testimonial. Then link them through to your 'generic' shopping pages to see the full range.

#3 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 617 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for taking the time. We really appreciate the suggestions.
Helping people see the items in context may help to improve sales and let us build target pages with relevant content. Our main aim with showing the items close up was to help the customers see all the details but I do not see any reason why we can not show the items in a themed setting and offering an option for a close up view.

Incidentally, we have been trying to restore our files after downloading some malware and I was looking at an old version of our site. At the time I thought it was pretty slick but by today's standards it was not so pretty slick!

That said, in those days we did a very good business, probably due to the lower number of online competitors.

Thanks again.

#4 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2085 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

Yes, I think the close ups are really important too. I hate shopping online when you find something that looks like it might be what you want but they don't include a good enough picture for you too be sure.

http://www.ikea.com/ (I'm looking at the uk version) is one example where they balence the two, you often have context photos that are attention grabbing but good product photos too.

#5 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 617 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:07 AM

Thanks Tam,
That is really cool. I like the way they show a table well shot with many items and a mouse over to see the individual item with brief description.
Time to put on the thinking cap.

We are getting ready to remake the site and something would really be nice.

With all the competition I need to do everything I can to help people choose our items.

#6 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2085 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:33 AM

Looking around at sites that aren't your competition but are doing cool things with features and presentations is definately a good way to beat your competition. A lot of people only look within their sector, so sometimes sites can all become abit same-y.

I haven't played with it, but I wonder if things like pinterest (which I understand if collections of images) might work well for you. Imagine grouping wedding/party ideas photos around a theme/colour (mood board style) and having your product as one of the images.

Perhaps it might even be worth chatting with people in complimentary businesses flowers, dressing, cakes and seeing if you can share promotion, maybe attend one of their events for a shoot with your product or borrow their products to make your set. It would be a good icebreaker and if they know who you are and remember you they are very likely to pass your name on or even give you mentions.

#7 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3828 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:21 AM

Expanding on Tam's remarks... Make use of image sliders to showcase the products in use. Go for lots of visual impact. Make this a feast for the eyes.

#8 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 617 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

What are image sliders?

#9 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3828 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

Tons of different kinds (a few good versions on the site I'm about to share). Here's one example: http://slidervilla.com/pinwheel/

#10 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 617 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

I see. This might make a really nice addition.
I am hoping learn how to make a wordpress child theme for the entire site so this would fit right.
Thanks for the great ideas.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users