• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4457 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

Something that I don't see written about much, certainly not in the webdev community: that who buys is not necessarily who decided/influenced the purchase. An extreme example is 'sugary' breakfast cereal: the manufacturers know that parents/adults do the buying but they market, including placing boxes on lower to mid store shelves (to get walking and in cart kid's attention), to children who most often make the decision.

Do you know whether or where there is a disconnect between who decides and who buys your offerings? If not, you may be marketing to the 'wrong' or at best a more minor audience segment than you realise.

This is of particular importance when marketing via social sites and apps.
Jus a thought.

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5186 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

I was thinking about this the other day... I sell a hobby product that we would assume is used by kids but the demographics say that old geezers are the almost exclusive viewers of the site. I was shocked when I saw the age distribution. Might be grandparents buying the item.... maybe using it themselves?

(have the mice at your house been wiped out? you seem to have extra time to start a lot of new threads this week :)

#3 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4457 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

Time?
That part of the human equation that is inversely relational to the interest of the work at hand? :D

I am up to date on site maintenance, business is fine, both law-type person and number-cruncher-type-person smiled when they last spoke with me, so I'm playing with ideas and testing hypotheses and in general having geeky fun in between grandfather duties, which are also rather fun... :)

I was shocked when I saw the age distribution. Might be grandparents buying the item.... maybe using it themselves?

Not knowing the product won't guess... but given that information I would offer two sets of copy: one speaking to young users and the other to the more mature :) and then see what readership and conversion numbers might have to tell. And one can have more than one market segment worth hunting helping...

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5186 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

That's an interesting idea. Thanks! :)

#5 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2335 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

I think these seems an opportune moment to end this session with something light!

Posted Image

#6 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4457 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

Ah yes, all ages enjoy light sabres and mayhem... and some even appreciate authoritarian creepy father figures.
A nice change from the wicked stepmother.

Although I rather prefer the free spending wicked stepmother because she fits one of my best converting market segments... :D

Edited by iamlost, 17 February 2012 - 10:02 AM.

#7 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 578 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

Time?
Not knowing the product won't guess... but given that information I would offer two sets of copy: one speaking to young users and the other to the more mature :) and then see what readership and conversion numbers might have to tell. And one can have more than one market segment worth hunting helping...

Just wondering, would you offer the copy up on the same page or separate targeted versions?

#8 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4457 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

Just wondering, would you offer the copy up on the same page or separate targeted versions?

Depends somewhat on how the site is structured and the existing page(s) conversion funnel.
Based on this example with such a difference (a skipped generation between) in what attracts, enthralls, and convinces the two market segments I'd probably prefer separate pages - the copy, images, et al could then be given free rein - but with appropriate cross linking.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users