7 replies to this topic

#1 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 578 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

choicefavors.com

I am creating a new theme based on twentyten. It is slow going but I am happy with the result except that for some reason when I click back and forth between the home page and the sample page the width shifts.

I wonder if anyone could know or guess why or what I may have inadvertently done to cause them to not match up.
I did edit the header.
I edited the sidebar including padding.
I switched the side bar from right to left.

thanks for looking.

#2 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 578 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

For some reason the posts are a different size than a page but since I am only going to use pages this is not a problem right now but it really bugs me.

I deleted the post and created another page and the two pages match in width.

#3 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3703 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

All looks the same to me.

Since you say a page looks different than a post, you should look at what the difference is between the page.php file and the single.php file. You should find your solution there.

#4 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 578 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:39 PM

I will look there.

Now I am knee deep in figuring out menus.

I want a top nave bar with some helpful pages like contact and ordering info. Then I hope to use a custom menu on the sidebar. The theme is suppose to support it but I am not sure my brain does!

Thanks for the help

#5 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3703 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

Go to Appearance >> Menus, and set up your menus there. You may find that once you have menus set up there, your theme will automatically show them.

#6 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 578 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

Thanks,
I saw that and I need to monkey around to see what way will work best for me.
The links on the top nav bar need to be site help, ordering info, contact etc.
This would be the same site wide. Maybe an wp_list_pages('include=4,37,22') will work.
But I also want to use categories and page links on other pages, and I was hoping to make them different depending on the page.

The links on the left hand bar will be the product pages, or in some cases categories.

I am in the figuring out phase right now.

I only hope I do not get 40 hours into this and find it will not work.
Thanks again.

#7 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3703 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

Just drag the pages you want in the top nav over to the menu you name. Let's say you call the main top nav "TopNav". While on that one in the menu section, drag the pages over to that menu section and rearrange them however you want. Create another menu called "LeftBar" or whatever, and drag whatever you want into that one. Assign the TopNav menu as primary menu (probably), and then go to Widgets and drag your LeftBar custom menu to whatever sidebar you want. That'll get you started in the right direction anyway, I think.

#8 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 578 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:11 AM

Ok, I think I have a handle on this. It took me 2 hours of Tom Cruse running from aliens between advertisements to clear my head but I finally found the primary navigation option and I see how to make the other menus.
This is slick.
Thanks a bunch for the help. I really appreciate it.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users