• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

I have come to the conclusion that direct traffic is about as convoluted as bounce rate. The common definition of 'direct traffic' is that which comes to your site without an attached referer, i.e. via bookmark/favicon, address bar type-in, basically without having clicked a link on an external site.
Note: know your third party analytics programs defaults - often direct is more of a catch-all miscellaneous repository without some tweaking.

However, if one considers intent then direct becomes much more interesting. By intent I mean that the visitor woulda coulda shoulda come direct except that for some reason they came via third party, i.e. SE navigational query.

The reason that separating, for instance, SE navigational queries from term queries is that the visitor's intent, behaviour on site, and conversion percentage is significantly different; indeed it more mirrors true direct traffic. I labelled this type of traffic pseudo-direct but did little else until recently.

Now, with the increase in social traffic, in the significant time many people spend on various social sites, I grew to wonder how much of my social traffic is pseudo-direct: using a link from their social site page as if it were a bookmark. I've been investigating this for a short time now and the indications are that significant numbers, but unclear percentages as yet, of my social traffic is indeed direct by intent if not by strict definition.

Social traffic is quite complex. So many ways that things get shared or tagged or listed; trying to filter and qualify the various streams is...interesting.

#2 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4358 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:32 AM

Sort of follow you. Like, if people share by email, this may appear as direct traffic, but they may be copying part of the page and then linking? Is that direct? Hmmm.

#3 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

Direct traffic may be people clicking on the link in your Twitter profile, if your Twitter account is closely associated with your Website.

Search engine navigational or brand queries are a common source of direct traffic.

People merely typing your site URL into their browser or using bookmarks are also DIRECT visitors.

But what about people subscribing to RSS feeds? Are they Direct visitors?

I think at some point the universal agreement breaks down and each of us has to decide for ourselves what should go into the "direct" bucket.

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5360 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

I measure my success as a webamster by the number of navigation queries that I receive.

#5 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

Ah... that explains this ... I've always wondered...

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5360 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

WEBMASTER :)

#7 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:49 AM

Whenever people mention hamsters I think of the Gerbil in a Microwave.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users