• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

I had in mind to start this thread a little way down the line since I am currently in the process of selling two blogs. I've never done this before and am finding it fascinating.

Then by incredible coincidence, I find that Rand Fishkin, SEOmoz, has just written an article on Buying Links is Shallow, Short-Term Thinking. Buying Blogs? Now that's a Strategy.

Of course, I couldn't agree more. :)

I'm selling via flippa.com and it's an intriguing world that's all new to me. This conversation could go a variety of ways and I'm interested to see what sparks interest on this.

#2 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

I really can't see buying a blog. it's just another tactic that will head south as soon as enough people jump on the bandwagon. Treating Web content as a link-base commodity is such a short-sighted approach to search engine optimization that I'm surprised anyone really wants to get on that bandwagon any more.

How many more major search algorithm slapdowns does the SEO community need before it learns the critical lesson that nothing comes even close to competing with creating real value?

#3 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3828 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

Since when does blog = not of real value?

#4 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

I think blogs have real value. I just don't think the SEOmoz article represents the best reasons for buying blogs. Are doing it for "SEO value", like that's a fixed commodity? Are they doing it because they want to break into a new vertical? Are they doing it because they really like the site?

This could just be an off day for me, too....

#5 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

My take on Rand's article was that the blog has an associated community of readers and buying the blog gives you access to that community with all the online connections (social media) that are associated with the members of that community.

#6 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

I'm just not having a good week, folks. My allergies are killing me and I had to do two multi-hour presentations. I'm a bit more ornerier than usual.

#7 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

Thank God, it's Friday. :)

#8 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4451 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:25 AM

Thing is, how is buying a blog for SEO purposes (which I assume means sticking your links on it) any different from buying links to pass pagerank?

Surely that is against Google TOS and if you get caught you will be in big trouble?

#9 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

Well, hopefully you're buying a blog for more than just link value. If it has content you can try to monetize that, or develop its readership into a new channel to create visibility for your other content, etc.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users