Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Excerpt Wp Posts On Html Home Page - Is It Possible?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

Hi Everybody,
I have a technical question. The site in question is an html site with an onsite WP blog. The site is not a PHP site.

Is there a way to snag recent blog posts (like the titles of them - not the whole posts) and have them appear automatically on some area of the homepage, if the homepage is just an html page? Obviously, there are plugins for this if the whole site were WP-based, but it isn't. Any way to do this? I would really appreciate any answers. Thanks!

Edited by SEOigloo, 27 February 2012 - 05:56 PM.

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5405 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

Write a perl program (or some other language) to scrape your RSS feed and rewrite it in the desired format as a server-side include.

This perl program can then be exectuted automatically on your server as a cron job. I have mine set to run hourly.

You can also have the program write many RSS feeds by blog category and have them displayed on pages all over your site.

Your imagination is your only limitation on how these can be formatted, filtered, categorized. You also don't have to limit this to RSS feeds, you can make your own big lists of content items that can be rotated for display on any part of your site.

WIth a blog post, you publish it and no less than 60 minutes later it can have thousands of links from every corner of your site and be promoted to as many visitors as you want or just those who might care about it.

Similar programs can be used to rotate ads, changing their formats and/or offers to find how what kicksass on your page. Works great with adsense channels.

Edited by EGOL, 27 February 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#3 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

You might just want to use a Javascript widget/gadget to parse the RSS feed.

I had a lot of RSS-feed headline content on Xenite.Org when it was downgraded by Panda last year. The Perl scripts and RSS feeds were broken by my server upgrade (changing operating systems and skipping 15 upgrades and other things contributed to the breakdown). You would create MANY dependencies by scattering those kinds of scripts across a site.

I don't think I want to do that again. I am sure the broken scripts led to the Panda downgrade. More importantly, they created a horrible user experience.

#4 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:29 AM

Hi Egol,
Thanks for the advice...we aren't at all conversant with PERL programming, unfortunately. It's a shame because your solution sounds excellent.

Michael, thank you for replying. I'm wondering what I should search for to discover a javascript feed for this function. I will search, and if I find one, I will post the link here. In the meantime, if anyone knows of something like Michael is describing (or something totally different that would work) I would appreciate your contribution to this discussion. Thank you!

#5 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:38 AM

Here's something at: http://www.hashemian...atom-widget.htm
We'll see if this one works.

Hey...this almost looks like when we get spammers in here pretending they don't know what something is and then happening to answer 2 posts later with a link to their own crappy company. I promise...I'm not doing this :)

Edited by SEOigloo, 28 February 2012 - 03:38 AM.

#6 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4383 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:26 AM

Your secret is out!

Is BuzzBoost an option?
http://support.googl...en&answer=78976

#7 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

Jon, that looks really good!!! Thank you for finding that. I had never heard of it. Cool! I bet that will work. I appreciate it.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users