• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

Collusion an experimental add-on from Mozilla will likely be an eye opener for many. It connects the cookie-tracking dots as one moves about the web into a graphical display.

Collusion is an experimental add-on for Firefox and allows you to see all the third parties that are tracking your movements across the Web. It will show, in real time, how that data creates a spider-web of interaction between companies and other trackers.

For those who do not browse with Firefox or who are not interested in another add-on there is an illustrative demo.

#2 send2paul

send2paul

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2908 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:31 AM

Very cool. Just playing with it now. Like the "visuals" :)

#3 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2152 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

I configured FF to drop all cookies when I close (with a few exceptions) and I close my browser often. Kills them dead.
Also found that just opening FF gives you a google cookie. And they know too much already.

More tracking? See how unique your browser is: http://panopticlick.eff.org/

#4 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

While configuring a browser to drop cookies on some event such as closing that does NOT get rid of all cookies just as robots.txt does not rid a site of bot problems. If you haven't read The Strange New World Of The Super Cookie you may find it interesting.

And then there are third party apps and apis... they are tracking both individuals and sites without a cookie in sight.

#5 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2152 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

Interesting.

That link I gave above would be one way I guess. Most browser signatures seem pretty unique as per that link. Tried mine and it was 1 in 1.5 million. Couple that with IP and it gets more unique. I had en-ca, fr-ca, and en-us. Dropping en-ca, fr-ca, cut it down to 1 in 1/2 million. The killer, I think, is the combo of fonts and plugins that the link above can find. The world needs a javascript engine with lots of fuctionality removed like access to the OS and files system. A kind of NoScript with smarts would do.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users