I've built a brand new a directory site for local companies and if anyone has a little time I'd like to get some feedback. The link to the site is in my sig line at the bottom of this post.
The sites currently has about 2500 entries, all of which I've added myself so the amount of information for the current listings is minimal. At the bottom of the list of catagories is a Catagory Called "Test Category" inside of that category is a "Test Company" This shows a little more of what will be available to enhanced listings.
There is also a test account: name:test
This will enable you to see things like "Add Your Company", "Write a Review" and ect.
Few Notes About the Site:
1) Only registered users will be able to add a company or write a review. At this time all reviews and listings have to be "approved" by admin before they actually appear on the site.
2) Registered users can add their company and some very basic company details for free. They would look basically like most of the listings currently on the site.
3) People can purchase an enhanced listing that will look more like the "Test Company"
4) People with enhanced listings will get email notification of any reviews of their company.
5) There are three description fields for the enhanced users to make use of. The short description that shows up as a user browses through listings, Html/css formatting is not allowed in this field There is a longer description field that shows up under the tab "overview" and allows some limited html/css formating. The thrid is "Latest News" which if for specials, company news, seasonal news, and ect. It also allows for html/css formating.
6) Registered users will be able to edit their listing from the front end of the site.
7) I'm currently working on a way for the review writers name at the top of the review to link back to a profile section, which will link to their company listing in the directory, if they have one. I think this will encourage reviews and listings.
I'm trying to add all companies in the area, at least with the minimum of information that is currently there for the majority of companies. I'm doing this to avoid the "deserted" look so many directories seem to have and to give the visitor the sense that the listings for the area are complete. I'd be a bit put off, and less likely to use a directory, if there was only one pizza place in a directory for an area if I knew there were 20 of them in the area. I've probably got about 1500 more companies to add to this site.
I'm going through the site now and looking for anything I need to tweak, add, or change. Any feed back on the site or the way I'm planing on administering it would be appreciated.
Edited by Walter, 07 March 2012 - 09:53 AM.