3 replies to this topic

#1 Walter

Walter

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 607 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

Hello Everyone,

I've built a brand new a directory site for local companies and if anyone has a little time I'd like to get some feedback. The link to the site is in my sig line at the bottom of this post.

The sites currently has about 2500 entries, all of which I've added myself so the amount of information for the current listings is minimal. At the bottom of the list of catagories is a Catagory Called "Test Category" inside of that category is a "Test Company" This shows a little more of what will be available to enhanced listings.

There is also a test account: name:test
pass: 123456

This will enable you to see things like "Add Your Company", "Write a Review" and ect.

Few Notes About the Site:

1) Only registered users will be able to add a company or write a review. At this time all reviews and listings have to be "approved" by admin before they actually appear on the site.

2) Registered users can add their company and some very basic company details for free. They would look basically like most of the listings currently on the site.

3) People can purchase an enhanced listing that will look more like the "Test Company"

4) People with enhanced listings will get email notification of any reviews of their company.

5) There are three description fields for the enhanced users to make use of. The short description that shows up as a user browses through listings, Html/css formatting is not allowed in this field There is a longer description field that shows up under the tab "overview" and allows some limited html/css formating. The thrid is "Latest News" which if for specials, company news, seasonal news, and ect. It also allows for html/css formating.

6) Registered users will be able to edit their listing from the front end of the site.

7) I'm currently working on a way for the review writers name at the top of the review to link back to a profile section, which will link to their company listing in the directory, if they have one. I think this will encourage reviews and listings.

I'm trying to add all companies in the area, at least with the minimum of information that is currently there for the majority of companies. I'm doing this to avoid the "deserted" look so many directories seem to have and to give the visitor the sense that the listings for the area are complete. I'd be a bit put off, and less likely to use a directory, if there was only one pizza place in a directory for an area if I knew there were 20 of them in the area. I've probably got about 1500 more companies to add to this site.

I'm going through the site now and looking for anything I need to tweak, add, or change. Any feed back on the site or the way I'm planing on administering it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Walter

Edited by Walter, 07 March 2012 - 09:23 AM.

#2 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

Hi Walter!
Wow, congratulations! I'm really excited for you. What a big undertaking. I've only taken a cursory glance at the site so just have a couple of tips to share:

1. I think you need at least some little bit of visual appeal going on with the site. If you live in Racine, go take a couple of photos and work them into the masthead or into some kind of greeting box up top of the homepage. I'm a fan of minimalism, but to me, the site is just a little bit vanilla right now. Visual cues would also assist Racine residents in realizing they are 'at home'.

2. If you want businesses to add their own listing so that the site grows, I'm not seeing an invitation up front to do so. Where is it? A nice big 'Add Your Business' link should be prominent in proportion to this function's importance to your business model.

3. What about something telling people why they should list their business. I really hope you do start getting picked up eventually by Google as a citation source for your city. Why should people list with you?

Just a few quick thoughts. Again, congratulations on your launch!

#3 Walter

Walter

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 607 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

Hey SEOigloo,

What about something telling people why they should list their business.

Thats a good idea, I could put a page up that explains the benefits with a prominent link to that page on the header.

If you want businesses to add their own listing so that the site grows, I'm not seeing an invitation up front to do so

You're right, currently that only shows up for registered users and even then its not very prominent. It would be a good idea to do add a page explaining the process of adding a company similar to the benefits of listing page along with a link in the header.

I think you need at least some little bit of visual appeal going on with the site . . . the site is just a little bit vanilla right now

Agreed, visual appeal is something I continue to struggle with. I'll see what I can do though.

Thank you so much for taking a look at it SEOIgloo, It really helps to have another set of eyes on it.

Billy

Edited by Walter, 07 March 2012 - 05:56 PM.

#4 Walter

Walter

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 607 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

Hello,

If you want businesses to add their own listing so that the site grows, I'm not seeing an invitation up front to do so

I'm wondering about this. Should I add a simple "Add Your Business For Free" button that takes the visitor to a page and then, in addition to giving them instructions on adding a free listing, also talks about the advantages of an enhanced, (paid) listing?

Or would I be better off adding multiple buttons on the front page like:

"Add Your Business"
"Benefits of Listing Your Business"
"Add Your Business For Free"
"Claim Your Business"

I'm not sure what the best way to go with this is, the latter seems a little cluttered. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Walter

Edited by Walter, 14 March 2012 - 06:49 PM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users