• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mregan

mregan

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

We just got our first complaint about IE9, the end of our client's menu was wrapping to the next line.

We were using a 'ul' to display inline and setting the spacing with 'padding:0 18px;'.

Turns out IE9 was adding an extra pixel to the padding which was enough to wrap the last item. Reducing it to 'padding:0 18px;' made it look right in IE9 - but wrecked it for other browsers, including IE8.

I used:

<!--[if IE 9]>
<style>
Over wrote the styling here
</style>
<![endif]-->

to fix the problem.

We use this layout a lot. Looks like a lot more work. I haven't checked to see if 'margin' has the same problem - but I wouldn't be surprised.

#2 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9005 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
If only Microsoft programmers had little minds. Consistency is not at all foolish in this case.

#3 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

I see more and more HTML *IF* statements when I look under the hood of Websites these days. I get the feeling that HTML is moving in the wrong direction.

#4 DCrx

DCrx

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1280 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

Many designers use a reset.

#5 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

So reset styles force the browsers to all behave according to one set of expectations?

#6 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

So reset styles force the browsers to all behave according to one set of expectations?

Yes.
As each browser comes with it's own default CSS settings a good reset basically zeroes them out.
One word of caution: some defaults may be OS defaults, especially with regards to Windows and forms. These can be removed but not reapplied. Not usually a problem, just something to be aware of when debugging.

#7 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2489 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:38 AM

so pleased I don't design websites and just buy templates or give instructions to designers!

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users