Loffy

New To Community

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Hello Cre8asite:ites

An interesting article about Google:
http://www.huffingto..._n_1347960.html
The guy believes that Google is moving from being an innovative company to being a simpler company where ads are in focus. Changing the CEO is also discussed, and its impact on the perceived move from innovation to ads.

#2 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

Although they still have their Camp X for way-out innovations that Sergey Brin masterminds (driverless cars, etc.), I think there's a lot of truth in what this ex-Googler (now with Microsoft :) ) says.

Indeed I think that Google's love affair with social via Google Plus is very misguided and in fact shows a lack of focus at the highest level. They should have stuck with simple (probably non-personalized) search and mated that with their advertising model. That will deliver all the profits they want and need. There is a great danger that in mixing in all the other technical whiz-bang items they will cause a deterioration in their profit generating machine.

#3 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

I don't approve of everything Google does and I don't agree with all their political choices, but put me squarely in the camp of people who firmly believe that Google faces an existential threat from today's Internet. They are threatened with obsolescence. I don't think they can afford to simply be "a search engine". Bing at least has the backing of a huge multi-vertical corporation but even Microsoft is looking at obsolescence on a different level.

While I appreciate Mr. Whittaker's frustrations, the reality is that reality doesn't waddle in the good ole days. I'm not sure Larry Page is the guy who can save Google but right now he is the guy charged with the task -- and that task is, I think, made much harder by the fact that most people don't yet see Google as threatened.

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5185 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

They started with the goal of organizing the world's information and delivering great search results.

Then moved to trying to keep you on their domain longer and maximizing revenue (I do this too).

Now they are trying to rope you into using their poorly adopted social products almost to the point of spamming.

Edited by EGOL, 23 March 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#5 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

They are threatened with obsolescence.

I very much agree. The mobile world is moving strongly to the App Internet that works so much better than the web. I'm not sure what Google can do since there are now two walled gardens, Android and iPhone. Mozilla's attempt to create an open source App Internet will not get traction.

Edited by bwelford, 23 March 2012 - 01:33 PM.
typo

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users