• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 clandestino

clandestino

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:28 AM

We're busy looking at duplicate content because we don't want to get whacked by the Panda Bear. Many of our competitors have been -- good for us, unless .......

We've removed duplicate pages created by query string URL's and various versions of the domain -- www. , non- www. , www.my-domain.index, etc.

I was just wondering, though --

For any vendor on the site, they will have at least five pages pointing to their profile page -- city, state, region, industry group, specialty group.

Could these 5 different paths to the same page be construed to be duplicate content in the eyes of the Panda Bot?

What about e-commerce sites that provide different groupings that point to the same page -- on sale, new, highest review ratings, or links from related pages, main navigation and footer links, etc. Would that look like duplicate content to the Panda Bot?

#2 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4295 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:57 AM

If you have not been hit yet I would have thought you are safe, the Panda updates are pretty much done aren't they?

Possibly rel="canonical" will ensure only the correct page gets indexed / ranked though.

#3 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

They don't appear to be adding new signals to the algorithm but they are still announcing data refreshes once a month. The latest refresh was released last week.

A data refresh seems to mean they rescan the index and re-evaluate all the pages.

#4 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2338 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:37 AM

Posted Image

Looks like Google updated.

#5 clandestino

clandestino

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

Hey glyn,

Thanks, LOL!

But, seriously, if I want to get better ranking for a group of products so I create a section on the Homepage and link directly to the product pages from there and I also link to them (about 5 clicks deep) from the main navigation, is that duplicate content and should I care? Those products will rank fast once I get them one click from the Homepage. Is there a down side?

Edited by chuckfinley, 28 March 2012 - 12:18 AM.

#6 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3716 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:35 AM

Linking to a page from multiple places is not duplicate content. It's still the same page being linked to. it's when DIFFERENT pages have the same or almost the content that you have to worry. So, if your page is cool-widgets.html and you have another page called awesome-widgets.html, and both have the same or very nearly the same content on them, now you have dupe content. But linking to cool-widgets.html from 100 different places is fine.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users