Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

What Are Myvouchercodes Playing At And Should I Be Concerned?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 xyZed

xyZed

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

If I search for my site in Google, on the first page, around number 6 there is a result that claims to offer vouchers for my site, which of course do not exist and have nothing to do with me. The result is displayed as -

(I'll use "my site" instead of putting my url in case it's best that way)

My site name - MyVoucherCodes
www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/discounts/my site.co.uk

When I click this link the page that opens proclaims

my site name Voucher Codes 2012
Active my site name Promotional Voucher Codes & Discounts 2012

The entire page is then populated with adverts for all the affiliates related to my site's content including many I am affiliated to. This practice is in my opinion trying to hi-jack people looking for my site with a false promise they will find voucher codes. Once on the page they may well be tempted to use one of their affiliates instead of mine.

Bizarrely, right at the bottom they have a link to my site though it's a no follow and not a direct link.

My questions, which I hope to find an answer for, are, is this something I should complain to them about or something I should brush off as inconsequential? Is it something Google would frown upon?

Many thanks

Andy

#2 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

It's a common parasitical practice used by made-for-advertising Websites to draw traffic to their pages.

If you have established trademark value in your site name you can issue a cease-and-desist letter to the Website owner.  If they are unresponsive or you cannot find out how to contact them, you have the option of complaining to their hosting provider and/or to the advertising networks.

If you have NOT established trademark value, I'm not sure you can do anything.

Edited by Michael_Martinez, 28 March 2012 - 01:24 PM.

#3 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9003 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

Trademarks apply country by country so I see a potential problem here. I'm not sure the trademark process has caught up with the international nature of the Internet.

#4 xyZed

xyZed

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:43 AM

Thanks, shouldn't you be able to report things like that to google? I get scraped a considerable amount of times, usually the sites just look like junk and its's hard to imagine many people using them so I've ignored it so far. This one is different in that it's a known site that advertises on TV.

My main concern is whether it could do any harm seo-wise. Maybe I should be flattered? I don't know how they come up on the first page for a search for my web site though?

#5 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

Google is not the Web police. They can only do so much.

Actually, the voucher site might be defaming you under UK law. You may have sufficient grounds to demand that the page be taken down.

#6 xyZed

xyZed

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:36 AM

Thanks for your post Michael. Re Google, I was thinking purely from their point of view. Their continued success depends on them serving credible results. I would have thought they would want to be notified of serps that are basically scams trying to scrape users to their sites with promises of things they don't have.

#7 xyZed

xyZed

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:43 AM

I just found this explanation, which seems a bit implausible?

http://support.myvou...-on-the-website

#8 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3789 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

Not implausible, just exactly what Panda was supposed to address (but clearly didn't). Try searching for any nonsense string of characters in the myvouchercodes search bar - something like "xlsoefijssoifj" - and you'll see that it will create a page for that search. That page didn't exist ahead of time. But it exists now that you've searched for it. Now that it exists, it can be found and indexed by the search engines. Of course, such pages shouldn't ever rank, but obviously they do.

Panda, oh Panda, how you lost your way.

#9 xyZed

xyZed

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

Thanks Donna: I wait with a smirk to see if BigBottoms voucher codes and large booby voucher codes emerge ;)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users