Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Why Would My Google Analytics Stop Tracking?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

I just noticed that some of my Google Analytics has stopped tracking since March 24. I have a static site with two Wordpress blogs attached. My news blog is very popular and lately has had spikes in traffic. However, my analytics shows a decline in visitors for the news blog on March 24 and then zero visitors from March 25th till present.

Coincidentally, on March 24th (according to my other analytics software, Woopra) I saw a huge traffic spike to one article on my news blog.

My tracking code is still in the footer. In fact, as with the rest of my site, I have the Google Analytics code right before my Woopra analytics code. Woopra is still working just fine and is showing me a large number of visitors to the news blog.

I am still getting adsense revenue from the news blog.

I plan to re-install my Google Analytics tracking code to see if that helps. But I wondered if anyone had any ideas as to what was going on.

Edited by Dr.Marie, 09 April 2012 - 02:05 PM.

#2 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

That's a little long to be a glitch. Have you checked within GA to see if GA thinks it's still hooked up?

#3 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

I'm not sure what you mean...I see zero visits so I am assuming it is not hooked up. My two blogs and static site are counted as one in GA and the other two are definitely hooked up.

#4 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

Is Google Analytics complaining to you that it cannot see the tracking code?

#5 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

I don't see any messages anywhere. Where would I see such a complaint? Should it be obvious?

#6 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

When you log in to your account you should see a notification of a problem.

Are you SURE whatever analytics plugin you're using for your news blog hasn't been deactivated by accident? Given that you had recent virus issues, it could be that one or more plugin files was removed and broke the plugin.

#7 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Marie, did you ever get this figured out?

#8 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Well, yes and no. It's fixed now, but I don't know what the original problem was. I simply replaced my Google Analytics code in my footer. I did find it interesting that the code looked different than before. Perhaps I had an old tracking code that wasn't working anymore?

It's working now. Now it looks like I've had a huge traffic spike. :) But really, I just hadn't been tracking the news portion of my site for the last month.

#9 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

Frankly, I've given up on Google Analytics. I took the code off all my sites this past weekend. I'm fed up with phantom data.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users