7 replies to this topic

#1 Walter

Walter

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 607 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

Hello,

I've added a few 'sales' pages to my site. I'll add the links below. I'd appreciate any feed back I could get on them.

http://rateracinecou...siness-sub.html

http://rateracinecou...listed-sub.html

http://rateracinecou...isting-sub.html

I don't know, they just don't feel quite "right" to me. I'm not sure if its the layout and typography or if its the content. Maybe a little of both. I'm also a bit stuck on what to do with the "Add Your Business" page. . . whether I should keep that page short and simple with maybe a little information at the top . . . or more detailed information with each type of listing.

Again....any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Walter

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5405 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

My impression is that more graphics and less explaining would make a better sales pitch.

--- on the "Get Your Free Biz Listing" page I would have a graphic that shows an example... also a graphic of the enhanced. People need to see this... they don't want to search the site looking. I went looking but could not find a good one.

--- on the "What can Rate Racine County Do for your Biz?"... I would have graphics.... 160,000 searches! and show SERPs with a query that has RRC.com in good position

Just a philosophical comment..

When I hear the domain name RRC.com... I think... "What is that?" Are we giving the county, county commissioners, etc a thumbs up or a thumbs down. I don't think of RRC.com as a domain to promote business. You hope to make money selling a service to biz owners. Do you really think that they want to stick their neck out for a rating? I think that they would prefer positive promotion.
And, is this site intended to be a place where the visitor can come to learn about things to do in Racine and where to get help when they need it what you need. So something like "RacineCountyGuide" would be more appealing to me... at least that's what I think.

I used to own a site like this for a small touristy town. It had pages for antique shops, motels, restaurants, real estate agents, fun things to do, etc. and had top SERP positions for "NameOfTown".... "NameOfTown motels" ... "NameOfTown real estate" etc. I sold enhanced listings, sponsorship of category pages, featured business on the homepage, etc.

I sent a snail mail letter to most of the businesses that showed for example... "the antique shops page" with their listing circled and a solicitation for them to sponsor or get an enhanced listing. That snail mail letter had positive ROI for what I intended but the unanticipated business was.. people calling me to "make/remake a website for my business".... or... "how can I get my site on the first page of the search engines"..and... "can you help me with adwords". There was more money at providing these services than selling listings on a website.

I did that stuff for a while then moved too far away to be effective at running a local site and now happily do other things.

#3 Walter

Walter

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 607 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hey Egol

I think you're right ......graphics. I'll do some sample listings and put up some screen shots on the sales pages. Probably a lot more effective way of showing people the difference between enhanced and free listings than explaining it.

On the philsophical notes. I'd like to check my thinking against yours on those.

Are we giving the county, county commissioners, etc a thumbs up or a thumbs down?

I chose a more generic name for just that reason. My thought is that down the line I might very well add "Rate a Politician" or "Rate a Judge" ect. My thinking was that might be a good way to drive traffic to the site.

Do you really think that they want to stick their neck out for a rating?

There neck is already out and in more places than my site. I'm including a minimum amount of information about every company I can find in the area. Their inclusion on the site is automatic and so they are subject to reviews whether they sign up or not. This is to make the directory useful to the consumer and I dont think this is any different than several of the more popular review sites. However I think the way my site is set up its going to provide some advantages to business's. Among these are:
  • Reviewers must be registerd with a verified email before they can post reviews or give ratings (on the yellow pages you can skip down the page giving everyone abitrary star ratings without registering)
  • All reviews are manually checked before they post to the site.
  • Email notification to business owners when a review is written about their company with enhanced listings. (I dont know anyone else that does this . . . could be though)
  • Business owners can contact the author of a review through the authors profile.
  • Business owners will be able to speak with a live person if they have concerns about a given review and those concerns will be looked into. (I realize that google reviews claims to do the same thing, but the reality is that getting even an obviously fradulent review removed from google is next to impossible.)
Reveiws are just a fact of life. I think there are a lot of sites were the deck is heavily stacked against business's, but I think will my site they'll get a more level playing field.

If you're seeing a whole im my logic Egol, please let me know.

Your snail mail idea are great, thanks for those and thanks for taking the time to go through those sales pages and all your suggestions Egol.

Billy

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5405 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

My thought is that down the line I might very well add "Rate a Politician" or "Rate a Judge" ect. My thinking was that might be a good way to drive traffic to the site.

People might enjoy this. If you posted a snippet of a story a few times each week and solicited visitor feedback you might help steer the county in a good direction. If you are really successful people will ask you to poll your visitors before they make up their mind.

#5 RisaBB

RisaBB

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:56 AM

Hi Walter,

I didn't read the content of the site, so this review is just about the look of the site:

Although in general, I think the site is clean looking, I think it is too clean and would benefit some/all of the changes below:

- Color - I think your logo and H1, H2 tags might be a different color - maybe its dark blue, there is not enough contrast and just changing the H1 heading might make a huge difference. I would try maybe a lighter blue or green or burgundy or gray .

- The font in your header is very similar to the font in your H1 tag. I think it should stand out more and not just look like more text on the page.

- I think you have 2 different point sizes going on in your content. The bullets are a little smaller. I think all the content can be smaller. I like verdana 11 or trebuchet.

- The font in your left nav is very elegant looking, like for a lawyers website, or a catering hall, or something high end. I think a different, more "every mans" font would work better. you also have 2 different fonts going on there. I don't think all caps is easily readable. Either do small caps, or make it normal where just the first letter of each word is capped. For the links that wrap to 2 lines, it would be better to get it on one line.

- The login park is different. Also, that login part breaks up the flow of the navigation so it doesn't look quite right there. Maybe box it off with a shaded background and border. Or move it to the right. Or the top of each page.

- I don't think you need an H1, H2 and H3 tag on the page. Maybe it's because they are all the same exact color and font and just the point size is different, and they all appear in a small amount of space, so it's a lot going on.

- I think the page can use a border. The words on the right are just floating out there. Either put the whole content in a shaded area, or shade the background, or put a 1 px border around the whole thing.

- I didn't notice the vertical nav bar on top at first. It looked like it was part of my browser. It does not stand out. Try a different color, or a graphical element, like a drop shadow, or a more stand out background color. The white on gray with all caps made it invisible to me - like just a dark gray bar.

- maybe add more info to the header logo on top - you have all that room on the right, and fill it in with juice info to be more specific about why it's even better than a phone book. I would put that header part in a background so it really stands out and jazz it up and put info in there.

I think what the whole thing is missing is differentiation of colors and fonts.

Risa

#6 Walter

Walter

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 607 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

Hello,

Egol, thanks again, I've added several graphics to the one of the sales pages as well as a link to an example listing.

Rissa, thank you very much. I've made several changes based on your suggestions and I do think its made a big difference for the better. Wish I had your eye Rissa.

If either of you get chance to take a look and can make sure I'm on the right track I'd appreciate it. Currently the changes only affect the following page:

http://rateracinecou...siness-sub.html

Regards,

Walter.

#7 RisaBB

RisaBB

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

Hi Walter,

Adding that horizontal nav bar below the logo is much better. Also un-capping the left nav bar is better, and adding those graphics is better. I have a few more comments:

- It seems like there is a lot of wasted white space. I like white space, but it seems excessive. Like below the logo, it looks like you can move that horizontal nav bar up a bit, and the vertical nav bar can be moved up a bit, and above and below the words, "Advantages to your business" can be tightened up.

- I'd make the point size smaller for the vertical nav bar. Try the same size as "Registering is Easy and allows.." Also, that nav can be tightened up. There's a lot of space aove and below each link. I have a big screen, and I don't see all the links on one screen. I think the point size should be smaller than the content on the right.

- I'd put those links in the left nav in priority order. For example, "Forgin login" isn't more important than "Get your free business listing."

- I still think you should put a 1 px gray border around the whole thing.

- I'm getting picky here, but I think the font for "like a phone book....only better" should be a Sans Serif font (no tail on the letters, like century gothic, or gil sans, or verdana, or trebuchet) so it stands out a bit from "Rate Racine County" or make it a different color.

- I think all your H2 tags should be listed as linked bullets on the top, and use anchor text to link to that part of the page, so the user knows what content is on the page before he actually scrolls down that whole long thing, and it might entice her to read, and you get to repeat your keywords in a way that is good for the user.

Risa

#8 Walter

Walter

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 607 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

Rissa,

All great suggestions. As I move around and am seeing the site on different sized monitors I'm starting to see a lot of what you're talking about. I'll be making a lot of the changes you reccomemded over the next week.

Thanks Again Rissa,

Walter

Edited by Walter, 05 May 2012 - 12:41 PM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users