Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

What Do You Do With Amazing Website Ideas?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

I can't tell you how much I LOVE working on my websites. It is so rewarding to see the sites improve. But you guys already know what that feels like because you have great sites that you love as well.

One thing that I struggle with is that I get so many really good ideas...but there's no way that I have time to implement them all.

Let me give you an example. Last night, while I was at a movie, I had this great idea for a site. I thought, "Someone has to have done this already...it's such a good idea." I had trouble concentrating on the movie because I was dreaming up domain names for my amazing idea and imagining what it would look like. When I got home I found that one of my perfect domain names was available. I also saw that there is only one site that is doing what I thought of doing...and they're really not doing it well. Sorry to be vague, but the details don't matter. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I got a great idea, I can see how to implement it and I can see how it could make a lot of money once it is established.

But here's the thing. The idea is not something I'm passionate about. I could make a great site and I definitely could make it profitable. But, in doing so I would be taking time away from my current sites.

Do you guys go through this? It seems like once a week or so I get an idea that gets me super excited and then I have to bring myself back to Earth again and focus on my current sites.

Is there any way I can profit from these great ideas? Part of me wants to create the site and spend a few months getting the ball rolling and then sell it to someone who has a passion for that niche. But would it be worth it? Even a great site is going to take a good year or more before it is making significant profit, right? So I likely couldn't sell for much.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. I'm really not looking for a concrete answer but I thought it would be a good discussion.

Marie

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

:)
Welcome to the Club of Not Enough Time In a Life.

I spent a decade building sites and supporting software and marketing plans; then exhausted and without a 'life' I semi-retired...
And ever since I have been spilling over with marketing ideas...

I know that I'll never run out of ideas. Many will be dropped as necessitating too much time from family et al but they keep popping daily. Having made the mistake of putting the realisation of ideas before 'real' life time and still crawling up from that black hole I recommend a careful time allotment filter. The ideas won't stop coming. Enjoy.

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5365 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

I have a big bulletin board on my office wall. It is like a graph with the X-axis drawn on the bottom and the Y-axis drawn on the left side. The X-axis is labeled "linkable"... the Y-axis is labled "profitable". When I have an idea for something that I can do for one of my sites I write it on a colored card and place it on that bulletin board in a location that represents its relative linkability and profitability.

Then when I finish a project I look at that board and pick a job to do next. I always look for things that plot on the north or east side of that board... but generally pick the job that will be the most fun. Because that is generally where I make fastest progress and make the most money. :)

My biggest problem is that I work on too many jobs simultaneously and can't make some decisions. I have them in various stages of completion on four different computers with drawings and notes in a steno pad. I jump from one task to another as my mind changes channels - which is a severe problem. :(

But the last couple of weeks have been really good. I got one highly linkable article that I started months ago finished, another slightly linkable finished that I wrote on a whim in three days (some things never make the board), I wrote a brochure that will be included with some of our ecommerce sales that will hopefully produce more profits, and I finally decided to connect some of my articles to a g+ profile instead of having them as anonymous - which I hope will have an effect similar to linkability.

Having employees is a big help and highly recommended for people who have brains that work faster than their hands. They accomplish a lot of my ideas, generate some of their own and bug me to get the most profitable and linkable things done.

One caution about employees... hire enough to increase your productivity but not enough to complete all of the work. That way you are spending salary money on only the most profitable and linkable jobs (some of my "amazing" ideas are not so attractive after they have been on the board for a while - I throw cards away from time to time). Also, hire smart employees so they can do the hard jobs for you. ;)

Edited by EGOL, 21 April 2012 - 10:03 PM.

#4 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

Every time I have a great new idea for a website I slap myself hard and remind myself that I should focus on working on what is already established, and working!

Sometimes one does get through and I put up a page on a new domain with the idea of taking it further, then get nowhere further than that!

#5 RisaBB

RisaBB

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

Hi Dr. Marie,

Great topic! I think you should buy the domain name and start looking for a part-time employee - whether it's for this new site or the site you spend most of your time on. It's not easy, though, to find a reasonably priced, dedicated, awesome, bright, employee that takes intiative and is as passionate as you are.

I have a couple of websites online that were my "great ideas" and they are floundering out there suffering from lack of attention, but one day, when I have more time, they will be awesome!!! (or at least I think they have the potential to be...)

Risa

#6 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

I used to try to jump on every idea that came to me. Most of them failed to execute miserably. Maybe it was just that I was the wrong person to do the job but I have since learned to let things gestate for a while, maybe a few weeks, sometimes a few months. In a rare case or two I have waited years to act on a Website.

These ideas tend to work better. Most likely that is because I wait until I can give them my full attention.

#7 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

Great discussion guys!

Every time I have a great new idea for a website I slap myself hard and remind myself that I should focus on working on what is already established, and working!

This made me laugh. :) I really should follow this advice.

Risa, when you mentioned hiring someone I had an interesting thought. I have a relative who is fascinated with what I do online. He really wants me to teach him how to run a website. He is tech-minded and I can see him succeeding in this business. The cool thing is that my current new idea is really up his alley and would definitely be his niche. So, I was thinking I could get him involved. I could create the site (which wouldn't take long), teach him to run it, and then pay him.

Or, I had another idea that I think may be better. I could create the site and teach him to run it and we could split ad revenue for a selected period of time. As he gets better, he gets a higher percentage of the revenue. (However, I'd have to set some reasonable expectations that the site is not likely to make a whole lot of money for the first year or two.) Then, after a defined time (say, 2 years), if we have a profitable website, he could decide to either continue to have me on board or could buy me out.

What do you think? I can't tell you how many people I meet that are absolutely amazed that I can make money from running a website. Now, most of them balk when they hear how much time I spend on my site. But there are a few, like this guy, who I could see being passionate enough to put the effort in to build a successful site. It would be really neat to be able to mentor people and in the meantime, make some passive income from them while they are learning to make an income writing about things that they love.

Or am I dreaming? Should I slap myself and get back to my current sites that are currently working well?

#8 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3790 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

I've launched and dumped more site ideas than I can even begin to count over the years. But I'd hate to think I would have missed out on the big site sales I've made in the last few months because I launched some of those ideas.

Most will just be spaghetti thrown at the wall, that falls off.

A few will stick - but only if they get thrown in the first place. Just sayin'.

#9 RisaBB

RisaBB

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

Hi Dr. Marie,

In general, I'd be nervous about any kind of arrangement with a family member.

Many years ago, a guy told me a story, or I read it, how he knew a lady who designed nice jewelry but was just starting out and was broke. They made a written agreement that he would design the website for her for free in exchange for a percent of the sales. She became very successful and the site made a lot of money, of which he got a lot of it. It turned ugly. She didn't want to keep paying him the high % any more, which way exceeded any amount she would have initially paid to get the site designed. I think she changed company names and got a new website, but this guy was still able to sue her and get a %. I don't remember all the details, but it sounded miserable.

So, my point is, I think if this is something your relative is passionate about, and you are happy to get the site started, and you're excited about it, I think you should go for it, but have some kind of financial arrangement that will be mutually very fair, whether it flops or flies, and consider your initial time investment, and your relative's time investment which may way exceed yours as time goes by. Soon it might be his "baby" like your site is yours. and he's putting in a ton of passion, time, smarts and energy, and you're putting in very little time, but still reaping the rewards, which might cause resentment to brew in this relative, who now sees you as doing nothing.

But, I'm sure there is a way to work it out, though I don't know what it is.

Risa

#10 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4365 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

Well, if the designer and jewellery maker set up a company and each held shares then that could not happen - she would have to buy him out instead of dumping him and then being sued.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users