29 replies to this topic

#1 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3705 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

http://insidesearch....gh-quality.html

It's always nice to see Google publicly approve of good SEO.

Google has said before that search engine optimization, or SEO, can be positive and constructive—and we're not the only ones. Effective search engine optimization can make a site more crawlable and make individual pages more accessible and easier to find. Search engine optimization includes things as simple as keyword research to ensure that the right words are on the page, not just industry jargon that normal people will never type.

“White hat” search engine optimizers often improve the usability of a site, help create great content, or make sites faster, which is good for both users and search engines. Good search engine optimization can also mean good marketing: thinking about creative ways to make a site more compelling, which can help with search engines as well as social media. The net result of making a great site is often greater awareness of that site on the web, which can translate into more people linking to or visiting a site.

But it's always scary to know that something is about to come down the google pipeline that might cause a big rankings upset, aka Panda-style.

In the next few days, we’re launching an important algorithm change targeted at webspam. The change will decrease rankings for sites that we believe are violating Google’s existing quality guidelines.

Good luck, y'all.

#2 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4293 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

Yeah, this scares me. I have not done any silly SEO, but still worry all the same!

#3 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

Algorithm shmalgorithm. :)

I say, "Bring it on, baby! I'm ready to learn!"

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5177 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

If this does what they expect it to do it will be a good thing, in my opinion. I'd like to see a reduction in spun content, irrelevant linkers and keyword stuffers. However, you never know what is going to be hit by google these days.

Let me know when you see it hit!

Thanks for the post.

#5 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4456 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

Sorry, but I've heard variations on this theme before...so I'm not holding my breath.

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5177 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

You think they are starting "Chicken Little" rumors?

#7 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4456 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

You think they are starting "Chicken Little" rumors?

No.
I do think, that as with most magazines, they recycle certain comments/topics on a semi-regular basis. Compare the fundamental premise of the article Donna link's to in the opening post with Algorithm change launched, 28 January 2011. There are years worth of similar announcements of algo changes to combat webspam. In one sense it is a frequent reiteration of the obvious, in another it is the little geeks crying wolf.

#8 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5177 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

Oh.... you think Matt Cutts is spinning some content? :)

Edited by EGOL, 25 April 2012 - 07:07 AM.

#9 bwelford

bwelford

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

I support Google's initiatives 100% when it comes to content. In my opinion, the Panda updates are just hunky-dory. :) So if this deals with spam that's great, provided they don't make too many mistakes.

Where they create all their problems is whenever it comes to links, even though the Unnatural Link algorithm may be more good than bad. It still will have a high error rate in sorting out the sheep and goats. Google is the one who by their actions have encouraged the massive pollution of the universe's link graph. Like those Augean stables that Hercules tried to clean out, it is an impossible task. They should drop PageRank and use all the other search data they have. The world would be a better place.

#10 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4456 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

Oh.... you think Matt Cutts is spinning some content? :)

More like refreshing an aging telenovela starring various celebritards...

I support Google's initiatives 100% when it comes to content.

I tend to support their public stance on content but the continual glaring false negative exceptions speak to a private hypocrisy.

Google is the one who by their actions have encouraged the massive pollution of the universe's link graph.

Yes. And then they point at everyone, anyone else while self-righteously proclaiming the wickedness of the [enemy du jour] and their saintly efforts in opposition of their own creation.

Note: I prefer the Lernaean Hydra as the Google equivalent labour: for every head cut off two grow as replacement. Although I do have a vision of the search results as the effulent filled discharge resulting from the cleaning of the Augean stables... and the effort not counting as being a paid for undertaking... :D

#11 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4293 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

Well, I get the impresssion it is rolling out.

1 of my sites has seen a big drop today. And I never did any dodgy SEO on this. Maybe not enough SEO was done! It spun off from another site, so apart from the links that were already pointing to those pages it probably has few links. Suggests sites linking on same server may be degraded.

Lets see what happens....

#12 Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1354 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

There are definitely changes in the SERPs and much weeping and gnashing of teeth in certain forums.

#13 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4293 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

yeah, I am seeing less of the spammy sites in the first page for some important keywords for me. Some of which I had filed reports on in the past for spamming.

#14 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5177 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

There are definitely changes in the SERPs and much weeping and gnashing of teeth in certain forums.

And the feedback varies significantly depending upon which forum you are reading. :)

#15 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4293 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

So far I have just posted my issue to Google+.
May have to hit the webmaster forums I guess.

#16 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

Appears this may be affecting Local as well. Hearing stuff from other Local SEOs who are seeing ranking shakeups. I really liked Rand's recent Whiteboard Friday on this at SEOmoz about potential spam signals.

#17 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5177 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

Lots of small biz websites have taken a big beating during the last few months as Google has made major changes in their algo.

However, another group is going to take some big hits.. and that is the SEOs who used to rank sites with blog comments, directory links and other cheap methods.

The top of the SERPs is becoming heavier and heavier with sites that don't spend five minutes per day on SEO.

#18 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4293 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

Here is the traffic report of a site that did not do any SEO, other than a few blog comments and a few guest blogs:

Posted Image

Shows last 2 days traffic per hour against the 2 days prior to that. The drop is 9pm GMT on the Tues 24th.

Will be interesting to see if doing some SEO will recover this site. If not, then some onpage spam factor could be at play that I cannot see.

Edited by jonbey, 25 April 2012 - 04:26 PM.

#19 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5177 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

That is total traffic? Google must have gone to almost zero!

#20 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4293 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

Yeah, Google traffic -71.09%

#21 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4293 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

Now, I never used to check the rankings for that site, so no idea where I ranked before. But for many of the top search phrases that I was getting traffic on I am still on page 1, so it looks like this is just a relatively small adjustment. I am guessing I was no.1 or 2 for a lot of the terms that I am now no.3 onwards for.

#22 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3705 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

Ya know, it's kinda weird. This is the first time I haven't even really cared about an update because I've sold off nearly all my sites. I feel ... free. :)

#23 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1340 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

Donna: One of my sites got hit by it. First time I've been hit by an algo penalty.

All I can say is that I learned every bit of valuable SEO I know from you and EGOL. :D

somehow I'm thinking of Alfred E Newman---- from the old Mad Magazine "what me worry"

#24 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

I've been catching up on Penquin, mostly because I always check to see how changes in SE algorithms will help or hurt usability standards. I think I understand why Google jumped on anchor text but to what gain? People use those same keywords in anchor text to understand the meaning of the content behind the click. Granted, some anchor text is purposely off the mark and it and the content aren't related. In that case, it serves the site right to be hit in the dunking tank. I like to highlight and fortify anchor text when it helps to increase a conversion (click or move forward in a task.)

Donna, I hear ya! Every time Google tosses out a new update I thank myself for having fallen in love with the user side years ago. I did SEO when it was fun! To me these days are only frustration and angry clients. No thanks!

#25 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3705 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

I've seen your posts, Earlpearl. I'd say it's time to start removing those backlinks. That seems to be the game everyone is playing right now.

#26 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4293 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

I wonder if changing your keywords would work. Just a wacky idea. But if your pages are about "wobbly blue widgets" and all your links are for "wobbly blue widgets", then maybe you get a Penguin penalty. Change your business to sell "stiff purple knobs" :blushing: and maybe the penalty will fall over and die....

#27 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1340 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

I've just started reading to catch up on commentary around the web. Due to business concerns this has been one time I haven't reacted like a maniac. My gut was the penalty came because relative to total link growth and total link quality....the last time I acted heavily on the site was with simple overwhelming anchor text, all of the same phrase, all delivered to the same phrase...and all done in a relatively short period of time.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOh damn....that does sound like "overoptimization" to me. Donna, Jonbey....I hear your comments!!!!!

#28 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4293 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

Of my 2 sites affected, one was actually set up as an experiment to find out how easy it was to rank for a keyword domain. I did almost no SEO at all and was getting around 300 Google visits a day. Dropped to about 30. Not major loss. In a way it is good to see that keyword domains with no real effort cannot rank so well now - that means a lot of the competition to my main websites will struggle.

Next experiment will be to merge the content of the 2 affected sites and put on a "brand" domain.... see how that goes.

#29 bwelford

bwelford

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

I'm surprised that no one seems to be seeing the picture here, and I have a blog post in preparation on this. The essence of the argument is that PageRank no longer works. It may have worked when first revealed but by revealing it Google set in train a huge process that completely muddied the waters and made the data unusable.

They are now using considerable human resources and creating much anguish by a series of efforts that are doomed to failure. They're trying to separate out good links (sheep) from bad links (goats). Their goat defining rules are far too crude to work. They should smell the coffee and use all that other user interaction with websites data they have.

Am I the only one to see that the Emperor has no clothes?

#30 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4456 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

As the two threads appear to compliment each other am adding a 'cross' link to each.

My Take On The New Google Update!

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users