5 replies to this topic

#1 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

Hi All,
Though I've worked with PDF files since time beyond recall, I really don't consider myself to be very familiar with all of the ins and outs of them. I am 95% finished with the authoring of a cookbook that I plan to sell on one of my websites. The project has taken the better part of a year and I'm pretty excited that I'm almost ready! What I am now trying to understand is how to create a table of contents at the beginning of the cookbook. My questions are:

- If I designate a page number for each recipe, will Adobe reproduce the cookbook the same across all computers? In other words, if my PDF file says a recipe for sweet potato cakes is on page 23, will it be on everyone's page 23?

- Is it a common practice for digital tables of contents to be clickable so that the user can click an item and be taken to it within the PDF file? Or, are they expected to scroll? If the former, how is that coded?

If you have experience in these two areas that you can share with me, I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

#2 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3828 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

The way I generally do this is create my document in Word, using all of its fancy stuff (table of contents, etc. - http://office.micros...P001225372.aspx) and then save it as a pdf. If you do this with just a few pages of your book, you can play with it and see exactly what happens when the pdf is created. That way, no matter what we say here, you'll know for sure what happens with yours.

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5480 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

We make a lot of PDF documents. And, as Donna suggests, we make them with Word. The reason we use .pdf is because we want to control the look of the printed document.

One thing to keep in mind is how the document will appear when it is opened for the first time. Be sure to get it looking that way before you save it - because you don't want it opening with HUGE FONT on page 72.

Also, you can optimize them for competition in the SERPs and include links to documents on your website that will be followed by search engine spiders.

#4 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

Hi Donna & Egol,
So it does sound as if there is some grey area here and I will just have to see what happens. Thanks for the feedback.

Can anyone answer my other question regarding clickable internal links within a PDF file? I don't believe I've ever seen this before, but I do want to know if it's possible. Thanks!

#5 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3828 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

Answer, yes, as far as I can tell, by using Word's "bookmark" feature. From http://www.warriorfo...-pdf-ebook.html

To make a table of contents clickable you need to create internal "bookmarks" to direct the links to.

Anywhere in a document, you can click to place your cursor where you want it, then go up to the menu at the top of the page, click Insert, then click Bookmark. Name the bookmark and click Add.

So here's how to do that with your table of contents:

Look at the first TOC item that you want clickable. Scroll down in the document until you reach the page where you want that click (from the TOC) to bring the reader. Most likely that's at the top of the first chapter or section listed in your TOC.

Click once at the beginning of the Chapter heading or the first paragraph, so your cursor will be sitting there at the beginning of the page. Now go up top to the menu choices at the top of the screen, click Insert, and then click Bookmark. Name your bookmark something obvious but short - like "chapter 1". Then click Add.

Now, go back up to your table of contents, and highlight the text that you want to be clickable, leading to that new bookmark you just created. Right-click on the highlighted portion, and when the little menu comes up click Hyperlink.

When the hyperlink box comes up, look to the right side of it and you'll see a button that says "Bookmark". Click that, and it will bring up a list of your bookmarks. Click on the one you want, and then click Ok. Click Ok again on the hyperlink box, and now your TOC text is a link that leads to that specific page in your document.

You'll have to do this with each item on your TOC which can take some time, but your readers will appreciate it! Posted Image

I think you are using a newer version of MSWord than I have, so the steps might be slightly different than what I've described, but not much.

Wendy

#6 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

Thank you so much, Donna! That really helps!!

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users