• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

I'll need to set up a store later this month and I have some research to do.

What are you using? I've gone the PayPal route in the past, mainly because it's big and everywhere.

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5365 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

I used paypal carts in the past and their conversion rate was really low because they placed making your customers paypal members on a higher proirity than completing your sales.

Since then they allow direct checkout with credit cards and it is a little better. Depending upon how your cart is set-up you may need to be concerned about security requirements.

I still would not use paypal because it is not an efficient use of my time.

However, if you go with a standard shopping cart, gateway and merchant account you have at least $50/month in expenses and security requirements depending upon how the cart is set up.

Edited by EGOL, 02 May 2012 - 05:11 PM.

#3 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3790 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

Paypal.

#4 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Interesting topic. I use Paypal simply because it was well known. When I am on a website, if I see Paypal I am comfortable with using it.

With that being said, I found it super complicated to implement.

I occasionally have issues with Paypal not directing people back to my site properly which is frustrating...but I don't know if that is a Paypal issue or a user issue.

#5 RisaBB

RisaBB

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

I use Paypal Pro for $30/month + Paypal fees which I think are 2.9% + $.30 per transaction. The customer never leaves my site. It works flawlessly for me.

#6 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

Risa...I have the same fees, but I don't pay anything per month. Do you need to have the Pro version?

#7 RisaBB

RisaBB

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

Hi - Yes I do have the Pro version. I think the difference between pro and not pro is that the transaction happens at my site and the user never knows that it is paypal that is processing my transactions. I like that he is not transferred to the paypal site. I think it seems more professional, although paypal is very respectable and has a good reputation.

#8 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2491 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

I can say that lots of people think that PAYPAL is like a bank account that you have to open, and is not a credit card processor in "our" sense of it.

So seamless integration is very important.

Also some people are so uncomfortable with the hop from one site to another (paypal) that you loose the transaction.

Also malware and stuff targets the hop URL so you can get your info hacked on transfer.

But the other side of this is doing it yourself, which is costly.

#9 PeterCastle

PeterCastle

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

I use Stripe. As a developer, I love it! Their API is really easy and flexible. They charge 2.9% + 30 cents. And if you are collecting payments on behalf of others, they allow you to take a cut from the payment, which is the reason I went with them.

#10 pjman

pjman

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

Authorize.net all the way. I used about 5 different processors over the years authorize.net is by far the easiest to integrate and use. They communicate and you speak to English speakers when needed.

#11 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13470 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

For the PayPal alternatives, are there any countries or credit cards that are not accepted?

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users