• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5440 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

Google Shopping used to be free. Just upload your datafeed and your items would be included there. If you were a deep discount seller and didn't know much about SEO it was an easy way to get some attention on the product that you sell.

Now with Google convering it to a pay-for-inclusion site the sweet deals that you used to be able to find there are going to get a little sour.

http://marketingland...inclusion-13138

I think that it will earn Google a lot of money but I don't think that this move serves searchers or merchants. But, it's Google's site and they can run it as they see fit.

So, with that channel getting more expensive for sellers and less attrative for buyers, traditional SEO becomes more valuable.

Edited by EGOL, 31 May 2012 - 11:15 PM.

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4621 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

:)
Were you actually surprised at the announcement or just at the timing?

Google has, for years now, been consistently developing and promoting their own services to the frequent detriment of prior service partners and query return breadth. This is another logical revenue step... albeit one that Google, also for years, was at pains to label 'evil'. The humourous part of this are Google's attempts to deflect, even redefine, pay for inclusion: such behaviour simply underlines that they know they have finally closed the door on their business 'otherness'. The emperor has no clothes. The sooner Google-centric webdevs acknowledge this and undertake a realistic reassessment of their business model the longer they may stay in business.

Of course there are many (very) profitable niches that Google has not yet, indeed may very well not ever, be in direct or even indirect competition. However, even there the old adage of 'all one's eggs in one basket' should be carefully considered.

Note: If memory serves I make a similar post about every quarter... ah well.

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5440 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:03 AM

Note: If memory serves I make a similar post about every quarter... ah well.

We remember. :)

Google is just too easy right now and other channels are much harder for the return that they bring.

I get what you are saying but I'll take my eye off of the ball after it shrinks quite a bit.

I might think differently if I was younger... but I am pretty sure that I have enough altitude to glide home.

#4 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4621 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

Off Topic offtopic

...but I am pretty sure that I have enough altitude to glide home.

Comin’ in on a wing and a prayer
What a show, what a fight
Boys, we really hit our target for tonight
How we sing as we limp through the air
Look below, there’s our field over there
Though there’s one motor gone
We can still carry on
Comin’ in on a wing and a prayer.
---Harold Adamson
(1942)

Not my idea of a sustainable business model but it does have a certain melodramatic gravitas...
Which brings a possible revenue source to mind: Cre8 as soap opera! Are you ready for a prime time starring role? :D

#5 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5440 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

I am making hay and having fun... (and still climbing in altitude).... so I am not ready to start making manure unless I have to.

If I was younger I would look at things differently. I don't have the FIGMO attitude, I am still on the attack. Just picking the target that I enjoy.

Some of us are semi retired.... we appear to be workin... but that's a matter of choice.

Edited by EGOL, 01 June 2012 - 09:53 AM.

#6 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

A musical soap opera?

"Let's do the (Internet) time warp, again...."

#7 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4621 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

To get back on topic :) ...

Remember the Bruce Clay Local Paid Inclusion fiasco back at the end of January?
Now that paid inclusion will soon be 'real' for Google Shopping am now taking opinions on when which other properties/services will follow suit...

money, money, money
muahahaha

#8 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5440 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

I'd like to see paid EXclusion. I submit DMCA information for a URL and they block anything using it except my URL. I'd pay for that.

#9 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5440 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

Phooey... this is not going to be good for people who earn their SERPs.

In many commercial SERPs..... I am starting to see BIG Google Shopping results with BIG color images that will make you salivate between the Top-of-SERPs Adsense block and the #1 organic position.

The #1 organic position is now Boondocks in commercial SERPs.

#10 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4621 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:22 PM

Google is just too easy right now...

You were saying...

#11 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5440 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:44 AM

Hey... I can't find the pie-in-the-face smiley! :huh:

Edited by EGOL, 20 July 2012 - 09:50 AM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users