• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13365 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:25 PM

This kind of news always cheers me up. How many times have my recommendations and warnings regarding links been ignored...so so many.

Danny Sullivan and fellow panelists had some opinions at SMX Advanced about linking.

Danny Sullivan’s Epic Rant on Links at SMX Advanced

In case you have not heard, Danny Sullivan, Editor of SearchEngineLand.com let loose with an incredible stream of consciousness rant about link building today at SMX Advanced. I was recording it,

Rae Hoffman, President of PushFire told the crowd, the old days of paying for links are gone. Link building is hard… get over it.

#2 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3716 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

Getting people to listen to advice is hard. I have one client right now that apparently thinks if they ask a question often enough, I'll eventually give them the answer they want to hear, which basically is "click this button and watch magic happen". Not gonna happen though. The hard work has to be done, like it or not.

Danny's rant is a fun one. Worth listening to. :)

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13365 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

One of the mysteries I've come across are decision makers paying thousands of dollars on PR based links but at the same time will NOT invest a dime in a usable web site. This has boggled my mind for years.

#4 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

I'll continue to rant on this whenever it's mentioned The message is slowly spreading but there are too many people making money out of links to upset the current apple-cart. However the reality is that all this human effort is going to prop up a now out-dated theory that links to a web page are a measure of its authority. It was a reasonable conjecture when first proposed and may have had some credence in the first few years.

It's now a foolish theory and all the efforts Google puts in with its penguins and pandas will not give back to PageRank any semblance of validity. Move on, Google, your Knowledge Graph is a much better and more valid way of assessing authority and relevance.

<adding after listening to rant a second time> I really think this is a satirical ploy by Danny to help Google see the foolishness of its ways. I believe Danny is spreading the PageRank must go message too.

Edited by bwelford, 07 June 2012 - 04:39 PM.
adding more inof

#5 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1357 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

I had to go back one month to check the latest request we had gotten to place a paid link on one of our sites for someone. We get them periodically. never acted on one. I never say I'll do it or won't do it..but always ask about the url. Then I never follow through. Sometimes the requests have ZERO relevance, IMHO, to the site we have. This one had some relevance.

checked on the anchor text phrase. The entity on whose behalf it was made was ranked in the top 3. Its a big money phrase. Its a big money industry. I never bother checking any further. Could be that high ranking in a competitive world is a result of 95% white hat or could be a result of 95% black hat. Just don't have the interest in finding out.

For all of google's efforts to ferret out paid links or so they say....it goes on and on and on.

With regard to Rae's comment:

Rae Hoffman, President of PushFire told the crowd, the old days of paying for links are gone. Link building is hard… get over it.

....frankly I bet hunting for paid links like the example I experienced is also hard. Its like dialing for dollars.

If people can game a system they will. If google were to dramatically change its algo's in a way that PR was largely devalued....people would game the new method.

#6 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1932 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

I believe Danny is spreading the PageRank must go message too.

It's been quite a while that I couldn't give a spit about PageRank.

Typo! Make that a "h"

Edited by bobbb, 07 June 2012 - 08:37 PM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users