Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Your E-Mail Notification Settings Have Been Saved.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 send2paul

send2paul

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2908 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

Your E-mail Notification Settings have been saved.
You will receive an e-mail confirming your new choices.

I only wanted them to stop sending me emails..... but they had to send one more! :)

#2 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2908 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

And another one today I unsubscribed from...

We have removed your email address from our list.

We're sorry to see you go.

Was this a mistake? Did you forward one of our emails to a friend, and they clicked the unsubscribe link not realizing they were in fact unsubscribing you from this list?
If this was a mistake, you can re-subscribe at:

Classic. Just LEAVE ME ALONE!/!?!? :)

#3 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4643 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

But they :wub: you, Paul. You heartbreaker you. :D

#4 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2908 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

Another one bites the dust.... almost.... :)...

We have received your sign-off. Please confirm this by clicking the link in the email sent to you.

Edited by send2paul, 25 July 2012 - 07:59 AM.

#5 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2908 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

So I clicked on the unsubscribe link confirmation and it took me to a web page that said this:

Newsletter
Unsubscribe Newsletter
Unsubscription from XXXX-Newsletter
Unsubscription succesfull! You have unsubscribed from the XXXX Newsletter. Please take notice of our terms and conditions!

Just in case I wanted to read their T&Cs if I was remotely interested AFTER I'd unsubscribed???

Oh! And then they sent me a final final email:

Dear Paul Flanagan!
You have successfully cancelled your subscription to the XXXX newsletter.
Have you changed your mind? You can, of course, re-subscribe to the XXXX newsletter at any time.

AARRGGHH!!!!!! :)

#6 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4431 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

Hey, why did you desubscribe from all my newsletters?

#7 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2617 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

The one I want to know about is where you can change your email settings, essentially leaving you with no-notifications but you are still there, somewhere in the interspace with some kind of account, what it is exactly is unknown. It just stays there floating for ever.

#8 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4643 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

How many lists could Paul unsubscribe
If Paul could unsubscribe lists?
As many lists as Paul would
If Paul could unsubscribe lists
But...
send2paul is his name
and send2paul is their game
So...
sign sign sign him up
never un ever un
never ever unsubscribe
send2paul Flanagan :D

#9 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2908 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:02 AM

Glyn! Yes! I am suffering from this too!
iamlost - oh dear.... it's come to this has it? Begging on street corners of web forums with badly rhyming "deep thinking" ..lol.. poetry scrawled on the flap of a cardboard box??? :) - Here's a dime buddie - *flips imaginary internet coinage*

I'm now UNSUBSCRIBING from all the utter nonsense I've subscribed to over the years in order to cut back on my internetting activity and general electronic usage. Here's another "post resignation message:"

If you have any problems please contact us on XXX XX XXXX.

This time - a TELEPHONE number??? :)

Edited by send2paul, 27 July 2012 - 03:03 AM.

#10 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2908 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:11 AM

Here's a new one.... so I said:

I can’t find an “unsubscribe” on this email – which is very annoying…. And when I log into my account I cannot find anywhere to stop emails being sent to me. Please DO NOT send me any more emails.

And they said:

One of the conditions of service, is that we can send you newsletters and marketing emails about our services (but not those of any other company, nor are your details passed on), so I cannot stop emails being sent to you, while you still have an active account.

So I said....

Just so I understand this - are you telling me that you cannot stop sending your own emails to me - newsletter email etc? And are you telling me that the only way to stop getting your emails from you is for me to cancel my account with you?

And they said.....

That is correct, part of the terms and conditions of having an account with us is that we send marketing details and mailouts to you, which contain both new products but also advise amendments to existing packages and services.

Receipt of the newsletters is a condition of service as it is a primary method of communication.

So I said....

So if a customer of yours is tired of getting your own marketing emails and wants them to stop, you would rather lose a customer and their business, (because cancelling their account is the only way to stop emails being received), than simply stop sending emails to them?

And I left the final reply to them...
.... which I'm still waiting for.... :)

#11 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2908 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:39 AM

They replied..

We send emails out both as a marketing tool, and also to notify customers of updates to services, for example, if we were going to have a special offer on a particular package. You can filter the emails in your email client to go into a special folder and check them periodically, although we send newsletters and important advice and communication about your account out as and when it is needed from the same address.

So I said....

That didn't really answer the question did it? I shouldn't have to be inconvenienced and have to make filters in my email client because Heart can't/won't do something simple like stop sending me emails. Would you agree?

Don't worry, I'll stop this soon :) Now that I've got them backed in a corner I just want to hear what they are going to say next. I'm just amazed that they admitted that I'd have to cancel my account to stop getting emails from them???

#12 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2908 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:35 AM

The final reply...

I am sorry for the inconvenience this is causing. However I'm afraid we don't have any systems in place that we can use to prevent you from being sent these emails.

And I guess that about wraps it up for that company. Remarkable.

#13 Wit

Wit

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1599 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:27 AM

Let's face it send2paul: you're not making them any money otherwise, are you? :)

#14 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13638 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

Pinned and moved out front. This is classic Send2Paul :infinite-banana:

#15 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2908 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

Hi - Kim :)

What amazes me is that this no small fry company either! But it's staggering to think that they would finally admit that they can't stop sending emails out? I think not... but anyway I'll be cancelling my account with them and moving my business elsewhere :)

#16 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4431 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

So, who are they then? If they admit that they are unable to un-subscribe people they should be outed in public for blatantly breaching the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 ("Consumer opt-out requests are honored within 10 days.").

http://business.ftc....guide-business/

Why not reply to them to inform them that they are not complying with the law?

" Any breaches of enforcement orders issued by the Information Commissioner will be an offence liable to a fine of up to £5,000 in a magistrate's court, or an unlimited fine if the trial is before a jury." - according to http://www.theregist..._law_goes_live/

#17 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4643 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

Let's not confuse jurisdictions. The FTC is US and the the IC is UK. Paul is, still? :), in the UK and where the company is registered, based, and their servers located all play into whose regulations may or may not be applicable.

The best - as in fast, cheap, and dirty - method remains SM.
Or simply cancelling your account... a very tame un-Paul-like behaviour. I'd expect at least a carton of bananas shipped slooow parcel post in 'appreciation' :D

#18 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4431 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

Do we already know the company then? I just read it all and still no idea!

#19 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4643 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

Nah, we rarely out specific companies... and if all this one has done is irritate Paul into another signature post then I feel that we owe it a vote of thanks :D

#20 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2908 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

Jon.... iamlost... and everyone else.... ola!

The company has not been named - but it is a UK company. That all I am prepared to say prior to a Press Release being drafted by my lawyer pending the lawsuit for "aggravated emotional assault" etc etc... cue the Dancing Bananas!!!!! - :infinite-banana: :dancebanana: :pigtailnana:

#21 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2908 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:47 AM

.... and don't get me started on "Why isn't there a "DELETE MY ACCOUNT" button"?? :wavey:

Edited by send2paul, 18 August 2012 - 02:47 AM.

#22 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2908 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

Just a little update on the company with no email opt out..... on the last newsletter email was a link to unsubscribe which lead to a Subscriptions page and the options to unsubscribe from three different types of marketing newsletters. :)

Do you think they came here and recognized who they were from this conversation? :) :infinite-banana: :infinite-banana:

#23 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4431 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:06 AM

Probably other people complained. As we have a policy of not mentioning companies by name it is harder to encourage positive change.

#24 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4643 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

Probably other people complained. As we have a policy of not mentioning companies by name it is harder to encourage positive change.

There is a difference between the behaviour standard of a general interest group, i.e. webdevs on Cre8, and an individual. However, it is less of aproblem these days with the broadcast multiplier of SM. If an individual feels strongly places such as Twitter grant quite significant power... a lone voice might get missed but if a problem is common the results can be astounding. It is a matter of selecting the proper channel/platform and deciding how best to make one's point.

#25 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13638 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

I have mixed feelings on our policy of not naming names/companies. We made the rule because we learned that if someone complained here and named the company/person, then these forums became a battleground. Then, we're asked to delete the entire thread by the offender who fears we wreck their reputation, which is also against our rules.

On the other hand, it feels good to point out serious issues and grievances and nail the offender.

There's places like Yelp to use..

I'm open to revisiting our policy (but in another thread).

Rock on!

#26 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3828 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

I just clicked an unsubscribe link in an email and was led to what has to be the worst unsubscribe experience ever (short of being sent to a 404). See pic.

theworstunscribepageever.png

#27 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4643 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

Give us specified personal information and we'll stop bothering you regarding specified topics...
How to further irritate already irritated customers...

#28 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2908 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Oh my! Donna - that was very bad!?!? :)

p.s. the company who started all of this........... has started sending me emails again - utterly unbelievable!

#29 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4643 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

Told you so:
http://www.cre8asite...04

:infinite-banana: :dazed: :banana_wgun: :infinite-banana:

#30 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2908 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

p.s. it you look very carefully back through all my posts here on the is subject I have inadvertently mentioned the company's name..

oh yes... the emails are still coming ;)

#31 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2908 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:52 AM

And finally.... I have one domain registered there which I don't need now. And today they sent a very carefully crafted generic email:

The following domain name 'Domain: XXXXXXX.co.uk' is due for renewal within 30 days.

If you want this domain to expire, or to pay for the domain now, please log into the DOMAIN COMPANY NAME customer control panel and select 'Renew Services' at:- (insert domain company URL here).
If you would like to let the domain name expire you must select this option by 11:59 PM on Mon 28 Jan 2013, after this time your domain name will be renewed.

If you do not successfully renew within 7 days of the expiry date, free services will be discontinued.

As standard .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz and .name domain names are renewed for 2 years, to alter the number of years please follow the link above.

Unless you choose for the domain to expire we will automatically renew the product using your payment details on the day before the expiry date. Domains cannot be cancelled after the renewal date.

So... just to summarise:
1. A domain that was free will now cost me - this I knew.
2. If I want the domain to expire - I still have to log in to select this, (as opposed to just ignoring the email and let it expire like any other "normal" domain company. This is, in my opinion, one of the most cheapest/under-handed methods of marketing/selling and must get them into a whole heap of trouble/confusion with many customers who just to chose to ignore the email like "normal" people would).
3. I need to let them know within 7 days as well - so if I was sick, on holiday etc - again this must cause great problems for them.
4. If I want to continue with the domain - I have to log in and alter it from the default 2 years should.

Soooooo... I have cancelled the domain. Of course, there is no "delete my account" button - so now I have to talk to them again in order to end my association with them. I'll let you know how it goes on... ;)

#32 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2908 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:12 AM

Oh - they had Live Chat Support.... it went like this....

Please wait. A member of the sales team will be with you shortly.
HOST says: Hello Paul. My name is HOST how can I help you?
Paul says: Hi HOST. I'd like to close my account with HOST and have all my details deleted from you and never receive any emails from you at all ever again - what do I do please to achieve this?
HOST says: If you raise a support ticket and request that we close down your account, we will then begin the process of cancelling your services or advising you on what you need to do to cancel the service. Once all services are removed from the account, we can close it down for you
Paul says: Raise a support ticket? I had one domain which was up for renewal - which I've now cancelled. That's it. What more do we need to do here? I just want my account closed and have all my details deleted from you and never receive any emails from you at all ever again. Surely there must be a "Delete My Account" button somewhere?
HOST says: To do this you must raise a support ticket. I am unable to do this over the live chat, I apologise for the inconvenience.
Paul says: And how long will the process take? Notoriously "support tickets" may not get a reply for 24 - 48 hrs etc? I don't wish to spend any more time associated with HOST than I have to. Can you give me any kind of indication how long all this will take please?
HOST says: You should receive a response within a half hour, so if there are no services in the account, that should be quick to be carried out.
Paul says: Okay - thanks. I'll be doing this later today. Do the support team finish at any particular time on a Sunday?
HOST says: The support team are available 24/7, so you can raise the ticket at any time and expect a response
Paul says: Okay thanks HOST, bye.
HOST says: Bye Paul

And we'll see just how long this takes and how many emails it's going to generate before, during and AFTER! :)

#33 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2908 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

So... I said to them...

Hi.

I'd like to close my account with HOST and have all my details deleted from you and never receive any emails from you at all ever again - what do I do please to achieve this?

I had one domain which was up for renewal - which I've now cancelled. That's it. I just want my account closed and have all my details deleted from you and never receive any emails from you at all ever again.

Please inform me with one last email that you have closed my account and deleted all my details from your system and that I will never hear from you again in any way, shape or form whatsoever including any future marketing emails etc.

Thank you

Paul

And they said to me....

Hi Paul,

Thanks for contacting us.

I can close your account for you if you wish but please be aware that once the account is closed, we will not be able to inform you of its closure. Confirmation of the closure will be the inability to log into your account.

Please let me know that you wish to proceed and I will get this account closed for you.

So I said to them...

I'd like to close my account with HOST and have all my details deleted from you and never receive any emails from you at all ever again - please proceed.
Thank you and good bye.

Paul

And so they sent me one "final" email to let me know that the Support Ticket had been updated - and I had to click on a link to log into the website to read the updated message....lol... which I'm sure was going to tell me that my account was deleted... but, of course I couldn't.... because deletion of my account meant that I couldn't log in.... ha ha! :infinite-banana: :infinite-banana: :infinite-banana:

So.... is this end?????? :dazed:

#34 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3828 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

Time will tell. I wouldn't bet your last dollar on it though!

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users