• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 1040 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

There is a domain name that is for sale and I'd like to buy it (and its not cheap). The domain is currently being forwarded to another website. What are the consequences of me buying this domain and using it for a serious website?

#2 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

Do you think you can compete for the current destination's keywords? Would there be brand confusion between you and them? If the current destination is a big brand behemoth that has top spots for target terms nailed down, don't bother.

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5495 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

What's coming through the pipe?

Nuthin? Crap? Gold?

#4 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2188 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

I'm curious. I'm looking at one. Let's presume it is gold.
How long will the gold hold out when there is new content?
If it's a parked name then how did it keep its gold. Did Google not spot this and render the in-links useless? So I guess it is not parked. The one I am thinking about is just parked.

#5 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 1040 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

Do you think you can compete for the current destination's keywords? Would there be brand confusion between you and them? If the current destination is a big brand behemoth that has top spots for target terms nailed down, don't bother.

What's coming through the pipe?

Nuthin? Crap? Gold?

The domain of the company that owns it has a similar meaning but they don't rank for their main term and it doenst look like they've updated their site for a while.

The domain name itself (The one that I want to buy) is a generic semi short name (two small words) but pairs with one of my websites really well.
My main concern is that since the domain has been forwarded to another domain for a long time, how would it affect the SEO process once I own it. Or does it at all?

#6 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3828 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

I don't think the fact that it is currently forwarded to another domain has any impact on your SEO concerns. It's general history might, however. Was it a spammy, blackhat type of domain in the past? Does it have a really bad link profile? If the answer to those questions is "no", then the only questions left are the same ones you'd ask if it was a brand new, never before owned domain.

#7 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5495 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

Does "forwarded" mean that DNS is routing traffic to a different domain?

Or, does it mean a 301 redirect?

Or, something else?

If it is a 301 then their might be SEO value.

If it is sent by almost any other method then the benefit you will get is any type-in traffic, bookmark, clickthroughs, etc.... but probably no SEO value.

#8 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2060 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

Does anywhere link to the forward?

Lots of places get multiple domains and forward them but never use the domain in other ways eg linking so it's pretty much as new. If you plug it in google do you get any mentions?

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users