#1 clandestino

clandestino

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

Have You Been Scroogled?

Bing thinks so... --> http://scroogled.com/

Google says their shopping results are based on "relevance." Watch this video to see the fine print where they reveal the truth about their paid ads. --> http://www.bing.com/...bed-syndication

This is excellent advertising. What do you think?

Edited by chuckfinley, 02 December 2012 - 02:40 AM.

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5187 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

Wow! It's almost as bad as the ads used by candidates for public office in the United States.

#3 clandestino

clandestino

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

Have You Been Scroogled?

One big difference -- in this case, imho, it's true!

google is finally going to be held responsible for their actions. No more saying one thing and then turning around and doing the exact opposite for profit, without any regard to collateral damage, or any responsiblity for the honest, hard working entrepreneurs they decimate along the way.

Get ready google -- someone with as much money as you have is going to be calling.

To be continued.......

#4 clandestino

clandestino

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

Have You Been Scroogled?

The Search Engine business ain't bean bag.

#5 clandestino

clandestino

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:27 AM

Have You Been Scroogled?

Here's what Microsoft says -

In the beginning, Google preached, “Don’t be evil”—but that changed on May 31, 2012. That’s when Google Shopping announced a new initiative. Simply put, all of their shopping results are now paid ads.

In their under-the-radar announcement, Google admits they’ve now built “a purely commercial model” that delivers listings ranked by “bid price.” Google Shopping is nothing more than a list of targeted ads that unsuspecting customers assume are search results. They call these “Product Listing Ads” a “truly great search.”

We say that when you limit choices and rank them by payment, consumers get Scroogled. For an honest search result, try Bing.

Don’t get Scroogled this holiday season.

Edited by chuckfinley, 02 December 2012 - 02:41 AM.

#6 clandestino

clandestino

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

Have You Been Scroogled?

Google -

"ads are just more answers to users’ queries"

Really?

#7 clandestino

clandestino

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

Have You Been Scroogled?

Fox Reports --> http://www.foxnews.c...-money-to-sway/

The message will be highlighted in TV commercials scheduled to run on NBC and CNN and newspaper ads in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post. The blitz also will appear on billboards and online, anchored by a new website, Scroogled.com.

.......Google has become less cuddly as it has established itself as the Internet's main gateway -- and through that, as a well-oiled moneymaking machine. The Mountain View, Calif., company's search engine is so influential that government regulators in the U.S. and Europe have been investigating whether Google has been stifling competition by giving special preference to its own services in search results.

#8 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1932 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

Did we expect anything else? It always happens when you become the number 1 rock star.
When I was growing up IBM was on top then dethroned by Microsoft and now Google. The generation that came during the reign grew up to hate #1 because it's their parents thing. Apple will be on that list too.

#9 clandestino

clandestino

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

Did we expect anything else? It always happens when you become the number 1 rock star.

Have You Been Scroogled?

Hey bobbb,

What you say is 100% accurate. The businesses that have a lot to lose by google being #1 are always going to go after them and this will never end, just a new leader to drop down a couple of notches -- IBM, then Microsoft, then google, then someone else, and on, and on, and on...

And, I would write it off as that if google didn't treat website owners so poorly and claim they have no interest in helping them because they say that website owners aren't their customers. ??? --> These are the people that bring all that traffic to google and the trafic they bring ends up clicking on google's paid ads, both PPC and shopping now.

If this ad campaign is successful, it will be because of lash back from the online community supporting Bing's position because it's true. google said one thing and did another. google is being asked to be truthful and honest, and they haven't been.

Edited by chuckfinley, 02 December 2012 - 03:00 AM.

#10 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2335 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

Finally Ms got some balls

#11 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1932 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Looks like balls but it's just business. They didn't just suddenly develop a conscience. M$ in on the sidelines just waiting for an occasion. That 200 million dollar Italian article you posted probably has them licking their chops yelling fuoco fuoco aiuto aiuto.

Ah Yes! Just to not give the wrong impression. I don't dislike any of the companies I mentioned. I use their products.

Edited by bobbb, 02 December 2012 - 12:25 PM.

#12 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13365 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

Finally had a chance to check this out and wow wow wow, this is so awesome! I don't use Bing that much, but as a consumer, an ad like this would get me thinking about Google results.

The ads coming out at this time of year, with the jump in online shopping, is a delightfully evil move by Bing.

Let the competition begin!! :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

#13 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13365 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

I suppose that in the end it will be the consumers who decide who wins here. A bargain is a bargain, whether it appears as a paid result or natural one. Searcher behavior varies and this is a test. Not everyone minds paid results, but Google's credibility suffers whenever they attempt to hide the truth about their search results. I'd be interested in learning what the user behavior is now.

Will some searchers, who are aware of the Scroogled campaign, use both search engines for shopping and compare the results? Will they even find any differences? Will one engine provide better bargains or direct links to exact matches with less distractions or provide more accurate landing page results to consumer search queries?

From the Fox news story:

Google still doesn't require websites to pay to be listed in in its main database. That's the index providing the results for requests entered into Google's all-purpose search box. A query made there for a particular product, such as computers, will still include results from merchants who haven't paid for the privilege of being included.
But anyone who clicks on a tab at the top for shopping-specific results will see only listings for paying merchants. That means results from sites, including Web retailing giant Amazon.com Inc., aren't displayed unless they pay. Amazon so far has only occasionally paid to have some of its wares listed in Google's shopping section. Zappos, a site owned by Amazon, has been more willing to pay the price to be listed in Google's shopping results. Read more: http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz2DvBSOglB

#14 clandestino

clandestino

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

The ads coming out at this time of year, with the jump in online shopping, is a delightfully evil move by Bing.

Let the competition begin!! :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Don't Get Scroogled

I love Capitalism! -- competition is exactly what is needed.

Edited by chuckfinley, 09 December 2012 - 06:46 PM.

#15 clandestino

clandestino

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Will some searchers, who are aware of the Scroogled campaign, use both search engines for shopping and compare the results? Will they even find any differences? Will one engine provide better bargains or direct links to exact matches with less distractions or provide more accurate landing page results to consumer search queries?

Don't Get Scroogled

I bet all of those things will happen and the Search Engines will respond. That's the beauty of competition and, in the end, we will all get a better product. Let the games begin!

Edited by chuckfinley, 09 December 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#16 clandestino

clandestino

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

Don't Get Scroogled?

Maybe this is why Microsoft is taking on such an aggressive ad campaign -->

Steve Ballmer's Nightmare Is Coming True --> http://finance.yahoo...-181558610.html

Pain causes action and it's about time!

Edited by chuckfinley, 09 December 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#17 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Of course if you're making buggy whips, it's tough to know what's next. The only hope is to milk like crazy from that cash cow. Then I guess Steve will hit the fairways. :)

#18 clandestino

clandestino

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Of course if you're making buggy whips, it's tough to know what's next. The only hope is to milk like crazy from that cash cow. Then I guess Steve will hit the fairways. :)

Don't Get Scroogled

I'm sure that's what they are doing but that cow is going dry. Maybe they're trying to close the RPS gap with Yahoo. You never know, they may be able to adjust the current model and make it work.

Edited by chuckfinley, 09 December 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#19 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2027 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

I find myself tending to use the image search for shopping more than the shopping pages (UK). I've never found their shopping pages that helpful and with them going paid (UK to follow) I'm guessing the variety will plummet further.

I might try bing out... it's confusing though, I thought microsoft was evil!

#20 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1357 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

Those are great ads by Bing, IMHO.

I have some questions?

How many people here direct use the shopping index?

In fact how often do people use any of the other indices (indexes) from google?

I know that direct usage of the Local/Maps index has always been miniscule. From the data we get now I assume its far smaller. Assuming data is coming from the shopping index, I wonder how often data shows up in the google.com index from the shopping index.

Frankly I hope the Bing ads gain more prominence and change some usage attitudes. Google is way too big as a user monopoly, IMHO.

#21 clandestino

clandestino

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:52 AM

How many people here direct use the shopping index?

I never use the shopping index. All I need is Amazon, it works so much better than google on so many levels.

In fact how often do people use any of the other indices (indexes) from google?

I know that direct usage of the Local/Maps index has always been miniscule. From the data we get now I assume its far smaller. Assuming data is coming from the shopping index, I wonder how often data shows up in the google.com index from the shopping index.

Maps is something I use often for local needs. Maps is tied to mobile. I'm not sure how much tablets are included in the mobile numbers, any ideas? Tablets are taking off.

Frankly I hope the Bing ads gain more prominence and change some usage attitudes. Google is way too big as a user monopoly, IMHO.

It's the best thing that could happen for searchers, publishers and e-commerce sites. We all gain by parity. There are significant risks in this being so lopsided.

#22 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1357 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

There is more to this ad and this story. Its part of a campaign developed by a professional: http://www.nytimes.c...-mark-penn.html

#23 clandestino

clandestino

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

There is more to this ad and this story. Its part of a campaign developed by a professional: http://www.nytimes.c...-mark-penn.html

That's a great find. This is going to get exciting!

Some exerpts from that article --

“Google should be prepared for everything but the kitchen sink thrown at them,” said a former colleague who worked closely with Mr. Penn in politics and spoke on condition of anonymity. “Actually, they should be prepared for the kitchen sink to be thrown at them, too.”

“They’re pulling out all the stops to do whatever they can to halt Google’s advance, just as their competition did to them,” Professor Cusumano said. “I suppose that if Microsoft can actually put a doubt in people’s mind that Google isn’t unbiased and has become some kind of evil empire, they might very well get results.”

#24 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1357 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

Meanwhile, ironic but Bill Slawski noticed this : Irony of ironies: http://advertise.bin...g-merchant-faqs

#25 clandestino

clandestino

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

Meanwhile, ironic but Bill Slawski noticed this : Irony of ironies: http://advertise.bin...g-merchant-faqs

Another good find. There apparently is going to be a lot of bomb throwing in both directions. It should be entertaining.

If nothing else, the consumer will get more information on which they can base a decision. And, hopefully, the end result will be we all get better service. Or, in our case, greater recognition as a customer/partner that is valued.

Edited by chuckfinley, 16 December 2012 - 06:15 PM.

#26 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2027 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

I can sort of understand bing's reasoning by not accepting new businesses at Christmas, there are a lot of fraudsters that set up just for the Christmas period and there isn't the time for the consumer feedback to weed them out. Closing it to new applications at Christmas could help prevent that.

#27 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4457 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

I don't think that anyone here really expects that any of the big players behave all that differently. It is highly entertaining though when they do get their digs at each other 'right' and this campaign of Bing's is that. Perhaps especially so as Bing and MSFT generally tend to miss somewhat with their advertising.

#28 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13365 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

From the article,

While typical corporate advertising campaigns can take months to gestate, Mr. Penn’s team is set up to move much faster. It responded quickly in late October when Google completed a change in how it shows search results on its shopping service, displaying product listings only from merchants that paid to be included.

The team conducted Internet polls that found that most consumers were unaware of the change and bothered by it. In time for the holiday shopping season, it put together a campaign warning people that Google results might not include the best merchants or prices. Google has said its shopping results improve when retailers pay, because they have an incentive to keep their listings accurate.

This doesn't feel right. We know that just because a company has paid for placement, this doesn't mean their web page landing page is going to convert that click. Companies always throw money at marketing strategies for weakly designed sites.

#29 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5187 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:48 AM

Google has said its shopping results improve when retailers pay, because they have an incentive to keep their listings accurate.

I believe this. When they were free they were spammed heavily.

#30 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1357 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

From the article,

[/size][/font][/color]
This doesn't feel right. We know that just because a company has paid for placement, this doesn't mean their web page landing page is going to convert that click. Companies always throw money at marketing strategies for weakly designed sites.

well designed or not its a numbers game. get high visibility and you'll get more clicks. some of the clicks convert. a better site and landing page will convert at a higher rate.

I believe this. When they were free they were spammed heavily.

I find that interesting. Google's Places Index is basically lousy, though improving. Its algos were really weak, but are improving. But in early stages they were the target of enormous spamming and of course, getting your info in there is free.

#31 clandestino

clandestino

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

EGOL & earlpearl make a good argument. Payment removes the blatant spam.

But, Kim makes an argument that gets to the context of what is happening here. Bing is trying to influence public opinion. google has told the public that google always produces relevant results so the the public can trust them. The public doesn't believe paying for position produces relelvant results based on Penn's surveys. The public, apparently, think that the companies in the shopping results couldn't earn the higher position on their own merit so they had to pay for it.

If Bing succeeds in making that argument, google's credibility is gone, they will lose the public's trust, and -- Bingo!, Bing is in.

Edited by chuckfinley, 18 December 2012 - 10:08 PM.

RSS Feed

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bamboozled, befuddled, duped, limflammed, hoodwinked, hornswoggled

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users