• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2578 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:37 AM

I've got a program which is being used inside a dedicated server on a non-admin account.

Everytime the .exe fires it asks for the administrator password.

I've been as an administrator and tried to change the permissions for the user group so they can do everything to the file.

Despite this the program always asks for the administrator password. Is there anyway I can make the access permissions apply at a folder level?

WinServ2008 standard R2.

Cheers

#2 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2135 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

By giving permissions to the folder it should flow to all the children objects below provided the "include inheritable permissions from this parent's object" is active. I believe this is the default but I don't have a server2008. 7-64PRO. This is how to "make the access permissions apply at a folder level".

A program running in a user account with non sufficient permissions for a file/folder should not ask for the admin password but just fail with access denied.

I don't think this is your solution because it is too simple a reply. Your question is really how to stop asking for a password so you must be using the runas command or something equivalent.

I gave this more thought. If indeed you are using the runas function to get the global permissions of administrator in order to solve an access problem then permissions to the folder [and inherit] may actually be the way. In order to get those permissions it asks for a password now because it can't ask only when it bangs into an access problem.

If somehow you think it may be access outside that folder then Process Monitor v3.03 may help http://technet.micro...ernals/bb896645

Edited by bobbb, 14 December 2012 - 09:26 PM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users