Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Has Wordpress Changed The Way Css Is Edited?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 578 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

In the past I have connected with FTP and made the changes in that fashion.
Now today I was trying to pick up the pieces from my most recent problem and I find that noting I do via FTP affects the style sheet.
Heck I even took all the style sheets out and the site still runs, even with a fresh browser.
I can add style on the page but any edits to the style.css via FTP do not seem to work.

I changed it from the theme editor, wordpress created a new css where in the directory, I went in via ftp and made changes and they were reflected in the out put.
I really really really am ready for the funny farm.

#2 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3716 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

It depends on the theme...yours may have the style sheet it uses in a separate folder, so you are probably editing the wrong file. View Source of the page and find the location of the style sheet(s) (there may be more than one) that your theme is using. Editing the right one via FTP should work fine. WordPress itself isn't affecting that.

#3 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 578 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Thanks,
In the past I have had trouble when the style sheet was being called from somewhere else but in this case I have the style.css in the same folder as the child.
I am not sure exactly what happened.
The changes I was making via FTP were not reflected in the page.
I took All the style.css out of all the themes and still the site was ok.
It must have had something to do with the FTP connection because I closed the program and restarted it and everything is fine.

The fact that I am using a new (refurbished) machine and I had to install new programs may have played into the mix.

The main reason this is so exasperating is that if I were more sure of my code I would probably have thought of re-starting the FTP program instead of burning up 3 hours searching for solutions to a very simple task.

Edited by tommr, 02 January 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#4 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

That's the problem, tommr. Hindsight is always 20/20. My commiserations.

#5 WPMuse

WPMuse

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hey, tommr....  Try installing FireBug in Firefox: https://getfirebug.com/

Then view your site and right click on what you want to change and choose Inspect Element with Firebug.  Firebug will then actually provide you with the line number and CSS file so you can go right to what you want to change in the right file. 

You can also use Firebug to make the change right then and there (without modifying the actual CSS) and see what it would look like before actually doing so.  Great tool to have in your arsenal and will save a lot of time and frustration!  HTH!  ;)

#6 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1932 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

Ditto I use Firebug for debugging. Both IE and FF have something similar built in but this is better.

#7 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 578 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

Thanks,
My problem was too tired and confused about where the file was.
I was just starting to work with child themes but with some help here I got through it.

Chrome also has a feature where you right click on a page and choose inspect element.

I like it because it highlights the divs as I want to make the page over to suite me.

I tried commercial themes in the past but I do not trust them.

Plus where's the challenge?

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users