Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

What Is A Natural Balanced Approach To Back Linking?

back linking

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sansonj72

sansonj72

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 479 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Index
City
Subdivision

Naturally one would think the index is the most important page. However, we have say roughly 30 cities in my real estate market, which people search. Then we have subdivisions, which shockingly are not overly searched unless it is in super high demand.

To my point now how google expect to see a site like this disperse 1000 back links naturally?

Edited by sansonj72, 10 January 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5462 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

To my point now how google expect to see a site like this disperse 1000 back links naturally?

The people at google are really smart. If they see 1000 links pop up on a site and don't see a lot of confirming banter about the site on the web then they will know for sure that you are manufacturing links.

... and this site is in real estate?

I bet they have at least moderately high trust issues for that industry.

#3 sansonj72

sansonj72

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 479 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Yes real estate. I am not talking about buying links, etc. I just saying a rule of thumb.

#4 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3821 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Rule of thumb: Most links will naturally go to a site's home page, with a smattering of links pointed at deeper pages. That's about as specific as I can get.

#5 sansonj72

sansonj72

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 479 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Thank you

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5462 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Most natural links will use the domain name or the URL as the anchor text.

Other natural anchors are "here"...... "click here".... "article"....

#7 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4410 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

I am pretty sure most of my links go to internal pages.

#8 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2053 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

I imagine it depends on the type of website. A smal busines site is likely to et almost all links oin to the omepage weras an information website more likely to et links to individual articles.

#9 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4629 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

It used to be that most links went to the homepage, it was a sort of default linking behaviour. Over the past decade however, many of us have worked hard at getting 'deep' linking - links going directly to the article/page being referred to. I now get 15-20% of my backlinks being to the home page, about the same to category pages and the rest to individual pages.

The problem with home page links is that they are usually the domain/business name, good for entity recognition, i.e. branding, but rather restrictive and unhelpful for matching SE queries. Category page backlinks are sort of similar but restrictive in a niche segment rather than business name. The individual page links are much much better being most often the page title or main heading, less often but frequently subheadings. Thus the deeper the links the more specific to the page and the broader the query reach.

A problem with real estate is that sales pages hang about on site, in SE cache, SE index long after a listing has been sold. Handling this is probably the most critical SEO function for such a site. And on which I have no further comment.

#10 sansonj72

sansonj72

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 479 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Would a natural flow look something like

20% to the home page

20% to my city pages

20% to my subdivision pages

then 40% random to direct property pages, which will over time fall off

I am just trying to become relevant to google

#11 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4629 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

'Natural' is whatever Google or other SE decides it is. I presume that they have certain thresholds but suspect (as there is no way to actually know) the most likely to be a problem have to do with identical anchor text, rate of increase of new links, etc. and not what percentage of links goes to what page. Spreading links throughout is important to the site - as it aids value flow between pages and so increases query terms and their rankings - but not really to SEs.

Increasingly SEs, especially Google, have been putting extra weight on the type and value of the linking site. Thus, 'natural', now includes some threshold of sites that the SE expects would to send visitors to your site. Having an off topic site (note: by the SE definition) link to you would not be a problem. Having a high percentage of your backlinks being from off topic sites could be.

The kicker in trying to determine (for those so inclined) what might be considered on or off topic referring sites. Remember that SEs do almost everything by algo and not by human. Thus it is probable that the determination is not made 'logically' but by analysing the data of all sites in a vertical/industry/niche and setting thresholds based on averages or means or similar. If really interested/concerned you could run the backlinks profiles of niche competitors and see how they and you compare. Personally I couldn't be bothered.

Fortunately, most of the time whatever links just happen are a good indicator of 'natural'. So, run a list of all your backlinks, remove those you specifically bought/built, and see how the numbers and site types and anchor text play out.

#12 sansonj72

sansonj72

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 479 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

With the assumption of doing 100% of them to the home page how the SE deem what is an important page vs an non important page?

#13 kestrel

kestrel

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

Links to home page have highly varied anchor text made up of keywords from the whole site

LInks to inner pages contain more targeted anchor text

OR

Just focus on the long-tail i.e. start with most obscure keywords first and work your way back up the tree to your head terms.

= deep links and varied anchor text

#14 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2567 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

First the fun answer: You are already engineering your website with a view to manipulating the search results. You naughty NAUGHTY boy. That's not natural. Could get you slapped.
The best way to get a balanced approach to link building is to eat all-bran in the morning.

Serious: The long way.
Do backlink analysis of the first 10 sites to appear in the google index.
Code each of those link types in a book.
Get the %'s down following the analysis.
Repeat a similar backlink formula.

- This way at least if it fails you can rule out backlink analysis as instructive for promoting a website.

However the simple truth is that this strategy will likely only work for the niche that you are researching because there is no longer homogenity across the different vertical channels that Google is service results. For example finance is not the same as shoes. ;)

Good luck.
G.

#15 sansonj72

sansonj72

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Glyn that is brilliant. I am going to start working on it. Is there a link back checker better than another, which is a freebie? I have my ten targeted local real estate websites I want to start researching.

#16 clandestino

clandestino

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 985 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:17 AM

Is there a link back checker better than another, which is a freebie?

• The larger e-commerce sites will have 15% or less links with "keyword anchor text".
  • Links to the homepage will rank a new site faster, to start.
  • A couple years ago google started returning interior pages (presumably to improve user experience) even though links were almost entirely directed to the homepage.
  • Listen to Glyn, he knows e-commerce.
Try http://www.majesticseo.com

It's not free, but I don't think you will find a backlink checker that will do what you need for free. Majestic SEO doesn't cost that much.

Edited by chuckfinley, 16 January 2013 - 04:22 AM.

#17 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2567 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

I don't know I just test. Lots of things I don't know about e.comm :)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users