Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Seo Hall Of Shame - Are You Kidding Me? Do Not Be Caught By Messages Like This.

bad practices dumb seo this is not credible seo seo business

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Why the Search Engine Optimization and Marketing industry gets a bad rap from the public and why I'm sometimes asked to look at a SEO company before somebody hires them.

Cases in point:

Unsolicited Email

Hello,
Hope you are well. As part of our client research, we've come across your website online "Cre8Asiteforums.com" and noticed your site is not on the top ranking for most important search engine like Google Yahoo.& Bing I am wondering if you would be interested in Search engine optimization done for your website at a very low cost.
Search engine optimization will increase your brand recognition and your sales, which is why you have a web site to begin with right?
We can make your website on 1st page placement on Google, Yahoo, or Bing in three to six months guaranteed with our “National SEO” package! Three to six months is typical for all our SEO packages!

So let me know if you would be interested or like me to mail you more details or schedule a call. We would love to work with you!
I look forward to your reply.
Sincerely,
Mark Peterson
Business Development Manager

Cre8Asiteforums.com Team,
I thought you might like to know some of the reasons why you are not getting enough Social Media and Organic search engine traffic for Cre8Asiteforums.com
1. Your website Cre8Asiteforums.com is not ranking top in Google organic search for many competitive keyword phrases.
2. Your website profile is not available in most of the Social Media Websites.
3. Your site has 132 Google back links, this can be improved further.
There are many additional improvements that could be made to your website, and if you would like to learn about them, and are curious to know what our working together would involve, then I would be glad to provide you with a detailed analysis in the form of a WEBSITE AUDIT REPORT for FREE.
Our clients consistently tell us that their customers find them because they are at the top of the Google search rankings. Being at the top left of Google (#1- #3 organic positions) is the best thing you can do for your company's website traffic and online reputation.
I found your site in the Google search and after having a look over your website I think you should go for an SEO campaign to boost your marketing strategy.
Sounds interesting? Feel free to email us or alternatively you can provide me with your phone number and the best time to call you.

Best Regards,
Joe Clift
SEO Consultant

PS1: This is onetime email and you may ask us to “REMOVE” you from our mailing list.

PS2: I found your site from online advertising but did not click.
PS3: We operate 24 x7. I will be happy to send you links to price list, refund policy, client rankings, client testimonials, “How we are different from others?”, and “Why should you choose us?” on receiving a response from you

I LOVE the online advertising but did not click line. We don't advertise these forums.

It amazes me that this still goes on. Do you all get this stuff too? Feel free to post but remove company ID info and links.

Edited by cre8pc, 27 April 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#2 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1932 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Ha! just the week I received a few of these types for new domains. Not sure if the same guys. Flushed them.

I'd be really curious on how well that is doing. Guess we'll never find out.

Edited by bobbb, 25 January 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#3 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3705 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

I get them several times a month, and have gotten them for years from all sorts of places.

#4 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Do any of you email these folks back to let them know they're off-base, did not do their research, are spammers, etc.?

I wish there was a real hall of shame place to stick them. :emo_gavel: :emo_gavel: :spambuster: :spambuster:

#5 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2023 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

I get them all the time, I don't think they get the irony of extolling the virtues of SEO whilst having to use spam for their own promotion.

Hi xxxx Team,

I thought you might like to know some of the reasons why you are not getting enough organic & social media traffic on your website.

I would like to update you that your website is still not ranked on the top pages of Google SERPs for your popular keywords (Products). Your loss is your competitor’s gain i.e. the traffic which could have generated quality sales for you goes to your competitors as they rank well in the Search Engine Result Pages (SERPs) organically.

Or I get training courses

Last Chance to Save!
Search Engine Optimisation Training Course
Book before 18th Jan 2013 and Save £45.00.
Intensive 1-day Training Course
15 National Training Centres
21st Jan - 22nd Feb 2013
Only £180+VAT (Use Voucher Code JAN2013).

What will you learn?
You will learn how to optimise your website so that it achieves a top ranking place in the free, natural (or organic) Google search results.
Why learn to do-it-yourself?
There is no substitute for knowing how to do something yourself, even if you employ others. With the right knowledge at your fingertips you are in control.
Do I Need to be a Web Developer?
Absolutely not! This course is designed to empower decision makers so that they can get the best from their websites and the Google search engine.

I like the ones from the US that offer to pop into my office :)

#6 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 575 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

I get these almost every day.

My favourite though is the phone calls that we get for real estate SEO. My husband usually says to them, "Are you near a computer? Yes? OK, type in *****. See? I have a really good SEO. She got expensive though, so I married her."

The email ones though are super obvious that they are just run through some sort of automated software. I'm surprised they still send them though...I guess some people must respond and sign up!

#7 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5178 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

I get these emails and phone calls.

I am tempted to reply and tell them what rankings I have without their help. Or tell them that I don't want my site kicked out of Google.... or if their company was any good they wouldn't need people cold-calling the top-ranking sites.

.... but I just delete the emails and tell the phone calls to take me off of the phone list.

Who knows what they might do if I gave them a hard time?

#8 bwelford

bwelford

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Who knows what they might do if I gave them a hard time?

If Google was any good at its job, that shouldn't be a problem. :)

#9 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4293 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Yep, all the time.

I have mailed back, at best you get another company then contact and want to "talk".

When I mail back I generally ask questions like "who are my competitors?" and "what are my most important keywords?". Never had a reply to those questions.

I have had emails are worded exactly the same, so it is just a template that is probably automatically sent out to the world.

#10 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4456 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

I suspect all webdevs get the annoying 'SEO at the door' virtual knock. I simply delete those that get through the filters. Not that I haven't composed some biting replies :D but they too go to trash and not send; for two reasons: the silence of straight to null tells them nothing, good or bad, and (2) I know from speaking with people in direct marketing that any response is a good response and gets followed up.

I suspect they acquire registrar lists and run through them. If done auto-magically via email still a reasonable business model. What surprises me is the cold phone calling without site knowledge, i.e. calling sites that don't need SEO services would seem costly, however, I guess the results must be good enough to cover third world labour. Sad to say.

#11 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1343 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Our sites get them all the time also. It appears it is a widespread mass marketing effort by a lot of different firms.

I suppose its very inexpensive automated mass email. If its both inexpensive enough to do and spread wide enough I'm sure it generates enough return to make if work for some of the firms that do it.

Occasionally I'll say or email something quick such as send us your report.

I'll get a response with quick overview stats, most of which are available for free if you are knowledgeable. I suppose if you're not knowledgeable it can work...(in fact I know that seo sales jobs work on folks that aren't knowledgeable.)

When I get a report there will be a request usually for a phone call. I'm very curt, (probably nasty) and dismiss the callers.

I engaged in a debate on an offshoot of this topic concerning sales calls from Yelp over at Mike Blumenthal's blog on a piece entitled http://blumenthals.c...-sales-tactics/.

Mike clearly doesn't like them. I'm not that offended, frankly was impressed by the salesperson, and wasn't put off by what he described as deceptive.

Yelp's deception in one area, in his perspective revolved around their using an analysis with google trends and comparing their "trend" versus those of other IYP types of sites.

That didn't bother me. But I'll go back and reference that later.

One thing that made me think of the Yelp contacts and the "phone pitches" relative to this thread is that the phone pitches are remarkably similar. I read the gist of how Mike described the pitch they made to him.

It was virtually identical to the pitch they gave me. In that regard I assume they've found its something that works enough to be repeated. In that the email pitches (referenced above by Kim) about SEO are similar to the one's I get, I assume the senders find they work enough that it pays off for them.

On the Yelp pitch I actually didn't get the info from Google trends. I suspect the main reason was when the pitch came in, I had noticed that yelp traffic to the site had picked up over the months. I actually had Yelp in the back of my mind.

I'm open to various forms of advertising and to sources of traffic from anywhere besides Google search. Some of our smb's are way way too dependent on Google search for our main sources of business. We have businesses with pretty good local rankings and Places rankings and we spend virtually all of our marketing efforts to expand visibility outside of google search.

While yelp drives a relatively high number of outside searches to the site (as a referrer), its peanuts compared to search. Regardless I'll look at things that diversify our leads and hopefully sales for sources outside of google.

I probably cut the salesperson short acknowledging that yelp was a good source of leads and so I didn't get the pitch element incorporating google trends. While I have to acknowledge on that topic Mike is correct....its not an totally honest pitch...I think the spirit of what they are conveying is accurate: In our case(s) Yelp drives a lot more traffic to our sites than do other IYP type sites. Additionally I've seen some analyses evaluating IYP sites relative to rankings for various local type phrases and Yelp simply holds higher rankings for more phrases.

Getting back to these emails that seem to hit lots of sites with messages that are very similar and the Yelp verbal sale over the phone which also appears to be very similar...it appears that firms use them because they work "enough" to payoff for the folks that send them.

All I can say to those that aren't too savvy...is BEWARE.

#12 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 575 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

Did any of you see the post by the SEO company hit reach where they responded to one of these emails and made the poor link builders jump through hoops? It is very mean but I have to admit that I did laugh. They eventually told them that they would give their business to them if they took a video of themselves doing the "Google Panda Dance". This young man from India sent back a very lengthy video of him dancing in order to win this contract. Eventually the SEO company told the fellow that they were just joking with him and offered to pay him $200 for his time. He replied saying his time was worth $500 or nothing!

It looks like the post has been removed though. It probably wasn't good publicity for the company to be seen making fun of Indian link builders.

#13 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Admin - Top Level
  • 3705 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

I did see it. I thought it was very funny. Sure, I did feel a little sorry for the poor dude, but seriously, he learned a good lesson. And that little dude sure could dance!

#14 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1932 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

Having obliged them by doing what he should not, he should have then taken the money.

#15 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

I didn't see that one but you know, something has to be done to protect site owners from believing this stuff. What gets my goat is that I wrote so much about this stuff in 1996, 97, 98 and was even interviewed by my local newspaper when one of my articles on exposing bad SEO practices caught his eye. I would go out and push back against liars and cheats I found in Usenet, Dejanews, etc. I upset some of them to the point where I got death threats via email for exposing bad practices. I changed tactics by putting up a these forums in 1998 to teach how real SEO is done.

Since rip offs are still supposedly making money off innocent site owners, I'd like to find ways to stomp on them. :spambuster:

#16 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1343 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Its too bad that video was removed. I never saw it. If the guy was such a good dancer he should go on dancing with the stars. If he wins he could make more than enough to keep him from ripping off unsuspecting site owners.

#17 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2023 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

There are big guys still doing stuff like that, take yell.com (yellow pages) they offer website building too, which appears to be a single template which they alter the colours off, stuffed with keywords for which I believe the going rate is something like £1 per day - ongoing, despite the fact they usually only have a couple of pages and are rarely updated. There is still a massive number of business that aren't online and have no idea how much things should cost or that they are getting ripped off.

#18 TheAlex

TheAlex

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

I get the exact same template as in the opening post every few weeks. Pretty much every industry has its cowboys but SEO seems to get more of a bad rap. Why is that?

I also get e-mails from Chinese domain name sellers telling us we need to buy up a load of useless domains (which I report to a Chinese authority I can't remember the name of). It's sad how many people believe this stuff. :/

#19 TheManBehindTheCurtain

TheManBehindTheCurtain

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1035 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

Our general information email address gets about one a week. The boss sees these and forwards them to me as a recommendation. He still believes that meta keyword tags are critical and will send requests to edit them on particular pages of our website. Thus, these sorts of re-enforcing emails just make it harder to get real work done.

#20 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1932 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

which I report to a Chinese authority

QUOI?
Really?? ... Really? 

Edited by bobbb, 27 January 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#21 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4293 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

IMO worse than the emails are the letters. I have received letters from companies to renew domains and also to apply for new trademark ertc. I know it is a scam, but my wife, who is also my accountant, has been fooled a couple of times (she asked me first before paying anything!). 

#22 Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:22 AM

This is a new twist. Came in through a domain email form:

"We acquire links from Wikipedia to your website and can also assist in publishing a wikipedia entry about your company or biography.  The right wikipedia backlink can single-handedly rank a website for it's target keyword on google. We have acquired thousands of backlinks from wikipedia for our clients, and created 50 company & biography entries."

I'm tempted to slam them, but I don't trust the fact I could get on their wrong side out of spite and they could google bomb a site somehow..in ways we don't really know.

#23 Webnauts

Webnauts

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

Kim we get in average 3-4 of such scam/spam mails a day and I must admit they are very annoying. I would say 99% are via gmail and we report them directly to Gmail abuse via spamcop.net. Does it help? Well once those accounts are being disabled, the same guys come again and again with new gmail accounts. At some point in the past where we were getting 10-20 a day, so we blocked Gmail on our mail server, but we have customers who use Gmail and they were not happy about that, so we had to reverse our action. Here is the the most recent email we received, just a couple hours ago:

##################################### 

Dear Sir/Madam,

Is your Site Optimized with the Google latest methodology called LSI to Rank High???

Does your Site Rank Low??? Do you have less traffic on your site???

An end to all these question. We provide a complete solution for your Online Business need.

We bring Traffic to Your Site and rank You Top with our LSI based Google’s Algorithm at affordable rates

Our Steps and the Activities to Rank You Smart

Keywords Research

Competition Analysis

Optimized Content Creation

Keywords Optimization

Back Link Creation/Link Building

Submission to Search Engines and Directories

Submission to Article Directories

Please reply for the best quote for your website link and we will guarantee to Rank You 1st to 10th

Position in Google ranking.

Note:- This offer is for limited time. So Ask for more details today.?

Hoping to hear from you soon. Waiting for your reply.

Have a nice day ahead

Thanks & Regards

"Rabia khan"

Internet Marketing Strategist

Our Service _ Search Engine Optimization, Corporate
Website Designing  Mobile Application Development, Social Media
Optimization, Yahoo Store Implementation, Salesforce Implementation, Joomla
Development, Custom Software Development, Payment getway Implementation,
Ecommerce website

##############################################################

Isn't that amazing? Well I got to rush, because the offer is for a limited time! :emo_gavel:

Edited by Webnauts, 28 January 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#24 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

OMG John,that one is a doozey!  

That one looks like the ones from the 1990's.

#25 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Matt Cutts posted years ago to say that Google themselves get the same spam emails telling them they don't rank on Google and need an SEO.  Yes, really.  Thousands of them a week.

Don't be fooled by the fact the email has a name to reply to, these come entirely from spam bots doing volume, and the senders responsible don't even have a clue what sites the bots are sending these to.  It is just a bot spamming every email address it can find attached to a site, or the default info@ email address for any domain it can't find an online address for.

I don't agree that site owners need to be protected from them.  I'm generally against the 'Nanny State' that tries to actively prevent people learning valuable lessons, and increase the number of idiots in the gene pool.  These scams are not hard to spot - I mean, how obvious is it that if these companies are any good at SEO, WHY are they relying on email spam to get any business for themselves?! :)

Yes, they are annoying, and yes, it would be wonderful if more of these snake-oil, fly-by-night scammers were prosecuted, or at least in countries with laws where they could be.  But meantime, they do serve a value in being part of the evolutionary process.  They help cull out the companies that are really not yet ready for the big rough dog-eat-dog world of ecommerce on a global scale.  Harsh, but true.  And better these companies part with a few hundred bucks for some very substandard and effectively worthless 'SEO services', than part with thousands of dollars to help the son of a Nigerian prince clear some money through customs - another scam that is no more convincing.

#26 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

Well sure...I get your point Ammon.  I still want to shoot them on sight  :banana_wgun:  :banana_wgun:  :banana_wgun:

Maybe someone can make a game where we use these emails for target practice.  Angry SEO's...Angry Birds... :saywhat:

#27 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4456 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

This thread got discussed on SEO Training Dojo's The Regulators podcast yesterday.

Note: towards the end of the show under Crap hat SEO email spam.

Seems Dave Harry finds humour in SEO spam-mails, not the irritation most of you commenting have expressed. Ya just gotta have the right attitude!

There's a dark and a troubled side of life;

There's a bright and a sunny side, too;

Tho' we meet with the darkness and strife,

The sunny side we also may view.

---Ada Blenkhorn, 1899

And, yes, theGypsy is quite correct: many such are quite amusing. In small doses.

:morningcoffee: :spambuster: :banana_wgun:

Batter Up!

#28 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

I don't think it's funny to get my inbox spammed every day, even though the emails are so stupid they get a laugh.  I'm happy to forward mine to Mr. Harry and his friends.

Signed,

Grumpy Overworked and Spammed to Death in PA

#29 Doc Sheldon

Doc Sheldon

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

I'm sure Dave will be tickled to get them, Kim. :lol:

I get a half dozen such "Expert SEO Services" emails per week, along with
all the phishing, porn/pills/casino crap, and the occasional young lass
that has fallen hopelessly in love with me because of my FB pic :rolleyes: 
('tis my cross to bear). An average day has me deleting/spam-reporting
well over a hundred emails for the 15 accounts I have on my email
client. I'm pretty sure I could find more productive ways to spend that
hour or so of lost time every day. Sleeping in comes to mind.

Part of me agrees with Ammon. Folks need to use their heads for something
more than a hatrack! Most of these things are so blatantly obvious that a
knowledge of SEO theory and strategies really isn't necessary. How many
businesses would seriously consider hiring an agency to handle their
print advertising when the communication was in broken English?

The other part of me really likes the idea of Angry SEOs... I might even invest in a smartphone, for that alone!

Edited by Doc Sheldon, 05 February 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#30 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

The other part of me really likes the idea of Angry SEOs

Sounds like a fun domain to me!  :spambuster:

#31 Doc Sheldon

Doc Sheldon

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

I put up a site a couple of months back, (in a fit of passing rage) for something similar... maybe I should "expand" its focus. :D  http://silver-bullet-seo.com

#32 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1932 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Oh boy are you going to be a target :)

Edited by bobbb, 05 February 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#33 Doc Sheldon

Doc Sheldon

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

Oh boy are you going to be a target :)

Could be, Bob... I haven't done much with it yet, obviously. Originally, the idea was to put up some of the sample phishing and spam emails as a warning to the unsuspecting. But with essentially zero-visibility and no time to build any, I suspect it may end up being just another addition to my long list of ideas that would have been better left alone. :blowup:

Edited by Doc Sheldon, 05 February 2013 - 07:52 PM.

#34 brianthomasclark

brianthomasclark

New To Community

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

I get these daily, though I have to say they are mostly from non-English speakers or from Asian companies. I rarely respond to the foreign messages as my emails get bounced back 9 times out of 10. It makes me wonder, what in the world were they trying to get from this? If it's money, I barely had a chance to give it to them (if I were so dumb) and they don't even offer contact details save for a dead email account.

Occasionally I get one that is somewhat well-written (like the examples in the OP) and in those cases I always respond politely, but firmly, essentially telling them that if they want a bad rep but a few extra instant bucks, keep up this spamming strategy. If, however, they want to make a lot of money, create something of value that people would be willing to give you their contact information for. Then contact them.

Anyhow, rant over.

#35 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1343 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

We've gotten a bunch of these on our various smb sites:   I find it funny.   The "seo company" sales pitch...blah...actually fills out a contact form:   

First Name: Bob
Last Name: Smith
Telephone: (222) 21457845
Email: bobinternetmarketing     @gmail.com
Preferred Schedule:
Message: Get ROI we can increase your pageranking please back more replay Hi, We can fairly quickly promote your website to the top of the search rankings with no long term contracts! We can place your website on top of the Natural Listings on Google, Yahoo and MSN. Our Search Engine Optimization team delivers more top rankings then anyone else and we can prove it. We do not use "link farms" or "black hat" methods that Google and the other search engines frown upon and can use to de-list or ban your site. The techniques are proprietary, involving some valuable closely held trade secrets. Our prices are less then half of what other companies charge. We would be happy to send you a proposal using the top search phrases for your area of expertise. Please contact me at your convenience so we can start saving you some money. In order for us to respond to your request for information, please include your company’s website address (mandatory) and /or phone number. Sincerely, Bob Smithbobinternetmarketing       @gmail.com COMPLETE INTERNET MARKETING SOLUTION SEO - Link Building - Copyright - Web Designing - PHP

#36 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Our prices are less then half of what other companies charge.

And this is the part some people will fall for.  They get burned and then blame the entire SEO entire industry for the mess they got.

#37 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4456 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

And this is the part some people will fall for.  They get burned and then blame the entire SEO entire industry for the mess they got.

Yup. And totally desrve their burned fingers.

In same vain but different industry, from long long ago in another life... had a customer dickering between us and competitor, competitor price was below our cost... explained to customer that price meant they weren't comparing evenly, that something(s) were definitely not included, gave them a copy of our quote with pricing removed and recommended they get competitor to quote it so comparing apples to apples... customer went with competitor... who dropped boxed parts in driveway and left... saying installation not included... customer came to us and asked us to install... we declined... and it was all our fault...

#38 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

So I'm thinking of making a document with a checklist of all the things Rand Fishkin mentions in How Do I Find a Good SEO?

He gives loads of great advice.  I kept giggling to myself, knowing that the junk SEO that's out there.  I'd love to email these folks back and ask them to fill out my checklist for compliance.  Why hire a company that doesn't know what most of the stuff on the checklist is, let alone does it?

Great timing Rand!

#39 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1343 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

hah....

between the spammy emails from mass emailing seo's and the one's that fill out the forms, I don't even read them carefully.  I had to go back and see that the line about pricing was from a spammy email we received.

I don't read them...but yes others do.   As referenced above, these emails are mass generated.  They send out millions (maybe more).   I suspect they work on some level.  If you send out millions of emails at a negligible cost even the tiniest response becomes profitable.

All industries have this at some level.    The element of the industry with which I had experience and which I found to be dirty were the google adwords resellers.

Google promotes this group.   After all they sell adwords with a 'feet on the street" salesforce.    I certainly can't speak to all the groups that are google resellers, but I've had experience with two.   

They suck, IMHO.   Basically they resell adwords at 2-3 times cost//essentially hide that info......and google is currently blessing them.   

In one case I saw, the reseller had a program that included reselling adwords, promising seo work on some phrases and promising Places work for a local business.

On the adwords side, this sale was made before google mandated that the resellers it promotes show a running total of actual adwords costs;   At the time of the sale the reseller showed a one time recap of adwords costs for an undisclosed period of time.  It was very hidden data with an incomplete description.   The customer did not understand or note the information.

Meanwhile if you tracked the adwords costs daily you would see that the costs came in at something over twice the one time costs shown.

The other issues:

The adwords campaign was so miserable.  b/c the reseller roughly doubled costs...the ads were showing at about 4-7th position for discovery phrases.  The ads identified the name of the business.   The program came with a redirected phone number so the customer could listen to calls from clicks on those ads.

The absolutely miserable thing was that virtually all the calls one listened to were vendors or existing clients of the advertiser.....virtually never new customers.    Ugggggggggghhhh.    The clicks on paid ads were people who wanted to get the businesses phone number but were searching for them under discovery terms --not there name.   What a waste.

On the SEO side the reseller in conjunction with the customer focused on the worst possible keywords.  Lets say there is a big city full of services and the keyword effort was on these city wide services connected to a tiny tiny tiny little sub neighborhood of the city.    Needless to say nobody searched on that.

Finally although promised they did NOTHING on optimizing on the LOCAL/Places side.   

(seriously if they had optimized on the places side and gotten very achievable LOCAL PAC visibility it probably would have cut some of the calls on ads.)

All in all a waste of thousands of dollars.

Certainly gives the industry a bad name.

#40 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

I'm sure Dave will be tickled to get them, Kim.

It would be even better if David Harry joined the community.  I'm sure he would love to dive into some of the threads  :manicure:

RSS Feed

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bad practices, dumb seo, this is not credible seo, seo business

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users