Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Could My Security Seal Be Costing Me Customers?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 606 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

I currently use Godaddy for some of my domains and I have 3 separate secure certificates from them as well.
After what I have been reading in the news and after a little research I find that they seem somewhat iffy with business practices that contradict my values so I am taking my business elsewhere.

In the mean time I wondered if having the godaddy seal on my site might be costing me customers?
I am in the process of moving my domains and network solutions has agreed to handle that end of things for what I have been paying godaddy which is a good deal.

I thought of taking the godaddy seal down but I am not sure which would be worse. No seal or the godadday seal.

#2 tam

tam

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2059 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

I don't know what one of those is, I would guess a good portion of your customers don't either so it probably doesn't do much either way.

#3 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2142 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

I find that they seem somewhat iffy with business practices

Like?

#4 Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie

Light Speed Member

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 582 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

Like?

I can't speak for tommr, but I can tell you that when I first created a website I bought a domain from GoDaddy. Their sales rep called me and convinced me that I needed to buy up a bunch of other domains that were related. They were very pushy. I ended up with 6 useless domains.

#5 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3828 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

I agree with Tam. Your customers probably wouldn't know the difference.

#6 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Some people actually like the 'confidence' of a seal. At least they used to years back and there was a seal explosion, all sorts of third parties offering all sorts of seals of confidence.

The funny thing was that it was the seal and not the authority of the issuer nor what the seal actually did that was important, just that be a seal that looked 'official'. I created my own site seals :) linked from each seal to a page on the site explaining what the seal actually meant, etc.
Less than 1% ever clicked a seal to find out about it.
Those pages with the seal saw an increase (within a month of being put up) in conversion and in referral traffic to other pages within the site. It was like it gave confidence in more than the initial page. So page views went up. And so I put seals on most pages. Eventually, however, there must be a seal blindnes similar to ad blindness because over time the difference between pages with and pages without faded.

Thus, while seals mean little, they may have some benefit and I'm not aware of any visitor downside. Other than taking up some amount of page space that might be put to better use. Although I must admit to bemusement about godaddy seals. :)

#7 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2142 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

They were very pushy.

I'm sure of that but I think we can say that about most sales people. Sales people must sell. Consumers beware.

Edited by bobbb, 26 January 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#8 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13613 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

I don't think most people know anything about godaddy. What they do care about is THEIR privacy and security, so Trust Marks like Verity, SBA, clear privacy statements and even awards and certificates have more meaning and value.

#9 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2142 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Oh but they do.

They know that NASCAR race driver Danica Patrick and American personal trainer Jillian Michaels are GoDaddy girls, GoDaddy has racy ads during the SuperBowl game, and Bob Parsons has a big mouth (but is still rich).

#10 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13613 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

LOL I stand corrected. Horny men and race car fans will love Godaddy seals!

#11 jonrhodesuk

jonrhodesuk

New To Community

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

I remember a few years ago I added a Veri Seal to my site and my sales did go up quite a bit, maybe 20 or 30%. Every site and every niche is different so if I were you I would experiment. See what happens with no seal, you might be surprised and sales may go up. It's worth a couple of weeks trial. Then try with the GoDaddy seal, or any other ones you can think of. Testing is the only way you will know for sure what difference these seals make to your site.

#12 Walter

Walter

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 607 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

I created my own site seals :)

LoL... Can I get One?

#13 tommr

tommr

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 606 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

It's one thing to have a site seal for visual but In our case we are required by our credit card company to have a secure certificate.  The seal is linked to the certificate in a way that I could fake but with out a certificate I am in violation of the terms of the agreement we have with the credit card company and God forbid any bad things happen I would be on the hook.

#14 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

It's one thing to have a site seal for visual but In our case we are required by our credit card company to have a secure certificate.  The seal is linked to the certificate in a way that I could fake but with out a certificate I am in violation of the terms of the agreement we have with the credit card company and God forbid any bad things happen I would be on the hook.

THAT is a totally different beast. Going encrypted between browser and server, https, and accompanying SSL certificate is NOT the type of certificate the rest of us were discussing. (Although one can create a self-signed cert). That is an instance where you have to meet the requirements of your payment provider, i.e. cc company.

LoL... Can I get One?

Don't be lazy... build your own :D genuine City of Chicago Certified!!!

#15 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2582 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Not sure, but I think that a Mcaffee seal is going to be good for youth niche's because he seems to be a rocknroll kinda guy from the press I read. Personally I always thought that hackersafe seal made it look like a site had actually been compromised rather than actually do anything positive!!

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users